It's really sinking in

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you all for the support. I'm still absorbing it. The problem is sometimes knowledge is dangerous; and this is one diagnosis I know *a lot* about.

I wasn't with the therapist long when she said that you see that kind of behavior (can't remember what specifically we were discussing) with personality disorders. I just did a deep, long sigh and asked, "You think she's borderline?" And the therapist said yes. It's hard to have your biggest fear confirmed. You want to wake up from the nightmare.

And I was thinking, well if Star isn't real :)raspberry-tounge:) then maybe I'm not real. And If I'm make believe, then all my problems and stresses are make believe. So, quick, whoever has me as a figment of their imagination: pinch yourself!

I didn't mean to sound abrupt earlier on this thread, but I really just needed understanding and support. It was 4 in the morning and I was feeling like all of my nerves were exposed and raw and I just had to get it out. I don't want to defend the diagnosis, Know what I mean?? This therapist isn't the first to mention it with difficult child and I've seen it coming for a while. It's always possible to find out later that it is actually something mimicking Borderline (BPD). Anything's possible. But, I'm more sure about this diagnosis with her than any others.

Wendy, you only need to meet 5 of the 9 criteria to be diagnosis'd with Borderline (BPD). Just FYI.

klmno

Heather, I don't think anyone meant to be saying that you need to blow off this diagnosis- that it is wrong. I thinkk the intent was to say don't let it stress you out and define difficult child or your relationship with her. Maybe all that is being said poorly, I'm not the best with words. But it was meant to be supportive and trying to help you maintain hope- not doubting you.

tiredmommy

Heather, I'm sorry you are going through this. I know I would frightened of that diagnosis because it is so difficult to treat. Try to remember that difficult child is still the same person she was before the diagnosis and she is more likely to receive meaningful treatment now if it is the correct diagnosis.