It's so cold that...

Marguerite

I thought we had some horrible dunny hazards in Australia (back in the early 70s there was a hit record on the charts which began, "Oh, there was a redback on the toilet seat when I was there last night..." - redback is our breed of black widow spider, a common finding in the classic outside dunny in many Aussie backyards in the country) - but the thought of freezing your cheeks to the seat just appals me.

Down the road where it's flat near the water table, it often floods when we get a long session of wet weather. A woman who lived down there told me with horror of when her toilet's septic tank backed up in the flood, it began to overflow back into the bathroom. And it wasn't rainwater, either! Her husband fixed it by installing a pump and a large tank; in wet weather when it flooded, he pumped the floodwater into the sump. That way he got to it before the septic began to flood. And when it was dry, he then pumped backwards, emptied the sump to his drains installed underneath the garden. They had the BEST garden...

Marg

Pam R

-19F this morning in Western Mass. But we usually have a spell this cold every winter. But it gets old fast, when you have a barn full of animals.

No so cold ideas here, as I have 2 woodstoves going and it's 76F inside. :)

I know, my bad, rubbing it in, I'll go to my own corner, unless Star will let me in hers. :)

Pam R.

K

Kjs

I just went to start my car and my hands hurt! OMG, it was cold yesterday but today is just plain brutal. So, why is it I live here????

donna723

It's maybe not as cold here as it is in some places, but it's the coldest temperatures we've had since 1996 - between 0 and 5 or 6. I stayed home today rather than have to go out in it. It's almost impossible to keep a little old 160 year old house warm when it gets this cold. The dogs slept under blankets and now they're huddled around the heater.

All my water faucets are located on the outside walls of the house and I've had the water running a trickle and the cabinet doors left open trying to keep the pipes from freezing. I will probably have to be resuscitated next month when the utility bills arrive, but for now, we're OK. And I was just thinking how thankful my son must be about now that I gave him several pairs of long johns for Christmas! He works nights in a big open UNHEATED building!
:frostbite:

Star*

call 911........call 911
It is so cold the crime rate has gone down 40 degrees.

It is so cold I saw a squirrel rubbing 2 sticks together and blowing on a pile of kindling.

I dunno - it's only 20 here and just LOVELY - back home on the ND ranch it was -49 last night. The cattle said - it's so cold THEY were looking for leather coats.

Star, BBK, and Marg, What was in your coffee? I NEED some of whatever it is too:rofl:!!!

It is sooooooooooo COLD that my "favorite sanity saver" jumped in bed with us last night. Unfortunately, what I thought was her head on my pillow, just happened to be the other end... (I wish this wasn't true but it is.) WFEN

donna723

It was funny this morning when I let my little mixed-breed dog, Ms. freebie, outside to pee! It looked like she was dancing - she kept hopping from foot to foot so none of them would be on the cold frozen ground for very long. She took care of business, then practically flew up the steps to the front door to be let back in! I'm just glad that her feet didn't freeze to the concrete porch!

SRL

I dunno - it's only 20 here and just LOVELY - back home on the ND ranch it was -49 last night. The cattle said - it's so cold THEY were looking for leather coats.

Those cattle in ND must have a far better sense of self-preservation than the ones I saw while travelling through Kansas a few years back. Those cattle were standing in the shade of a "Beef--it's what's for dinner" sign.

Nancy

It's so cold that I had a squirrel trying desperately to get into my house when I opened the door to let the dog out (who wouldn't go out by the way).

Nancy

Wiped Out

Staff member
I've so enjoyed reading these-some of you have me rofl laughing-since I needed the laughs, I think no one has to go to their corners, although I think I'd want to join Susie's corner!

Abbey

Spork Queen
You guys crack me up. A cow looking for a leather coat? Sorry, son, but you'll be on someone's kitchen table soon. I can see it right now. Some rancher saying...get the gun. We've got dinner. Fire up the grill.

Abbey

Andy

Actually I would like to be sent to Star's corner. I hear she has built a fire and if I bring hot dogs and marshmellows she may let me sit by the fire?

I will also bring graham crackers and chocolate and hot dog buns with ketchup.

F

flutterbee

Except that Global Warming is melting the ice caps which is lowering the temperature of the ocean waters and the oceans are responsible for the weather.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, these are wonderful.

It's so cold I actually cuddled up to husband last night. ba dump bump

It's so cold I'm afraid of frost bite in the shower.

Marguerite

It's so cold that I had a squirrel trying desperately to get into my house when I opened the door to let the dog out (who wouldn't go out by the way).

In Australia we do have a lot of "it's so hot..." sayings.

husband just read this thread over my shoulder, and reminded me of the time (not so long ago) that it was so HOT here, that the red-bellied black snake that was at that time living under our rainwater tank, tried to get into the house away from the heat...

A common saying is, "It's so hot that the trees are chasing the dogs."

Also, a local radio station often tests the theory that it's hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement - I remember as a kid, seeing the school principal doing this. It did take a few hours, but by the end of the day there was a soft-fried egg (spread around a bit by then) on the ashphalt. Funny, nobody was game enough to eat it...

Marg