It's starting to hit me...please hold my hand

everywoman

PCdaughter will leave Tuesday to go to MEPS for her final time with her recruiter. husband and I will go later that day, meet her in Columbia, and spend the night. The next morning she enters Basic Training. :anxious: Then, my baby will be gone for a long, long time. She has 10 weeks of basic, followed by 23 weeks of Advanced Individual Training for her job. Then, she will be stationed somewhere ---anywhere the army wants to send her.:( I know that she will not be living a block away ever again. :sad-very:

We just got back last night spending five days in Florida. We saw Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Universal Studios. It was nice to have some time with her away from everyday life. We had a blast. We rode every ride together and had an "awesome" trip.

Tomorrow is her going away party. I think we have about 50 people coming. I am cooking frogmore stew/lowcountry boil (shrimp, potatoes, corn, and smoked sausage boiled in zatarans). husband made her a large banner at the store today: Good Luck Princess Warrior. We will miss our GI Jana.

I don't know how to feel. I am going to miss her sooooooo much. I am proud of her, but....I am sad that she will be gone too. :sad-very:

nvts

It's got to be so hard to have 1/2 your heart filled with pride while it feels like the other 1/2 is being torn out. I'm so sorry you're facing this.

My kids are still young, but the parents of kids leaving from the "nest" of family for the military really have it the hardest. Most send their kids to college, but they know where they'll be. They know that they can reach out, or hop in the car, or on a plane and see and hold them. To a degree, the kids are still under their control or suggestion.

The military makes all of the decisions now.

Care packages will be very important to you as well as her. They will allow you to comfort her when both she and you need it. And a care package doesn't have to cost a fortune. It could be "stuff" or a letter with a pressed flower in it.

I wish there was some great wisdom I could impart, but I'll offer a shoulder and a hug!

Beth

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hang in there. While this is such a proud moment for you, it has got to be so hard.
She will be OK. So will you. Take a lot of pictures tomorrow. Eat have fun and try to not think about her leaving... I can smell the cooking from here. MMMM

Star*

call 911........call 911
I will just sit and hand you kleenex and hug you for like - an hour or two. Please thank this brave young woman for me. I'm such a proud Auntie.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know this has got to be so tough on you. ((((hugs))))

Thank her for me too. And let her know her board aunties are :censored2: proud of her.

(I'll be praying they train her real well for a desk job)

OpenWindow

I'm proud of her too and thankful for her service. I can understand your mixed emotions - we'll all be holding your hand and praying she stays safe.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What a scary thing for you and her. I hope all goes well and you have a couple thousand of us to keep your spirits up.

Abbey

KTMom91

Want to say THANK YOU to the men and women who defend our country...and to the families that stand behind them. I'm in awe of the strength it takes to do this.

DammitJanet

I so remember exactly what you are feeling right this very minute. Boot/Basic was extremely hard for us to get through. I wrote letters daily and when they said we could send care packages, I sent those. We were only allowed to send gatorade, beef jerky and cough drops so I sent a ton of those...lol.

I think the Army is a little more lenient and you will be allowed phone calls from her on weekends but even so, start writing those motivational letters to her. Where is she doing basic? I think most females go to Fort Leonardwood. Thats not a bad place...Jamie did his MP training there.

Have you found the website for Army moms yet? I would look into that because they will be a good source of support during her tour. Also go to the recruiter and get your stickers for your car...lol.

You will make it through this. It is so hard...I know. Start counting down the days until her graduation and make the plans to go see it. Then make the plans for her leave...those are the things that kept me going. You go from one date to the next and count down.

tinamarie1

Oh goodness. I am fighting back tears just reading your post. You will have such great memories of Disney and her farewell party. I absolutely love what the banner says.
I am so very proud of her for making this tough decision. I think it must be easier for boys to join...I guess I think that because my daughter is such a mommas girl and my son is a little more detatched.
Hugs to you

TerryJ2

That must be incredibly hard. I am so glad you had a great time at Disney (knew you would!) but how bittersweet to have to say goodbye to easy child. Your party sounds wonderful.

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a great kid she is, everywoman. I can imagine how proud you are and how terrified about her future. It's so unknown and fraught with possible dangers.
I keep reminding myself when easy child is doing something I worry about, that he could be hurt driving to the supermarket in my neighborhood. None of us get guarantees about our kids or ourselves for that matter. Worry is a given. Try to put it in a box so you can close it when you have to.

She is following her own personal greatness. Something everyone should do.

Hugs to her and to you. I'll be worrying along side of you.