it's the right job!

Jena

hi!

So, i hope everyone's well. I haven't been in much this week, i've been trying to get everyone here on the "I work now" thing again. It hasn't been easy, difficult child's holding her own. boyfriend needed about five million talks. Our dynamic has changed greatly, so we shall see what Monday brings. easy child has even told me she misses me. They all grew so accustomed to having me around all the time. See, so I did do alot while I was here at home and now their feeling it.

Tmrw i meet the new sitter, i think she will be. At least for now till i get my schedule under control. Right now i'm just trying to schedule appointments to "shadow" other family support workers, and also schedule appts. with the team leaders to meet my families that i'll be working with. I'm realizing how hard it is to make a schedule. I'm going out in the field alone this coming thursday or friday, i'm already catching the interoffice carp from other family support who are saying i'm going out too early, why are they letting me, blah blah. I just smile and keep on walking.

So, I had my first at home visit with the team leader to introduce me to the parents of my first family. It hit me that night after the appointment, that I'm finally doing the right thing. I've worked as a rest. manager, a paralegal, bartended to make extra money during my divorce. Yet when I saw the look on this mother's face at the sight of help, i knew right than and there this was where i belonged. It was a strong sense I haven't ever felt before at a job. This job makes me want to learn all I can to help these parents, foster parents, grandparents in anyway I possibly can.

It's not going to be easy, my hearts on my sleeve it's who I am so i have cried a bit over what I"m seeing. Yet tha'Tourette's Syndrome how I know I'll be the best to these ppl I possibly can, because their touching me.

Anyway I just wanted to share with-all of you. You guys have been with me since the beginning of the difficult child travels and upsets, doctors, medications, my own upsets, etc. I"m sure there will be a whole lot more. Yet this had to be shared.

:)

klmno

It sounds like your heart is really in this one- that is so great!! I hope it all works out and the sitter works well with difficult child.

TerryJ2

Ohhhhhhhhh, Jennifer, I am so happy for you!

You were off to a rocky start. I was so worried about you and your difficult child, with-her anxiety. But it is working out.

Neat that easy child misses you.

My difficult child has asked me to home-school him, and to be a stay-at-home mom, on more than one occasion. I should take it in the spirit in which it is offered: he misses me. But I end up being stupid and saying, "Are you out of your mind? We can't even get along for 10 minutes!" LOL.

I am so happy for you.
Those clients are so lucky. And so are you. What a great combination.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Jennifer, I'm so happy that you feel you are where you belong - what a great feeling! I'm glad you listened to your heart and went for it. Good for you!

Lothlorien

I don't think there is anything better for yourself than helping someone in need. It helps your soul. I'm glad you found that in this job.

Jena

Hi guys :)

Thanks so much for the responses, I'm feeling guilty for having zero time to catch up with everyone and how everyone is and their difficult child's. I barely kept my head above water this week to be honest. LOL.

Weekends have taken on a whole new meaning as well. I feel I'm in the right place def with-o a doubt. Everything from the ppl, to the office bldg. to it all. There isn't one thing that I have run into that has made me feel wrong about it. I tend to listen to my intuition with stuff, it's hard at times to hear it. Yet I couldn't help but feel it that day with-that mom and this amazing boy. My heart just melts for these ppl, their struggles, their hopes, their financial struggles.

In time I'm sure i'll harden somewhat. I hope not too much. It' sjust now i have to figure out how to help them. They don't really teach you that. They expect it to come from my knowledge of handling difficult child, yet these situations are extreme. So, i was hoping to hit the library this weekend but I had absolutely no time. I go in tomorrow for 2nd meet the family. I'm just going to go with my gut and hope and pray it leads me to a good place and i can be a calming force and seem as though i know what the heck i am doing lol. I think, my gut tells me the first thing to do is establish trust, a connection, just hear them. They really just wanna be heard and validated. It makes me realize how all of us are so blessed truly to have this place, to have our hopes and dreams, and to have our difficult child's. Its healing me somehow as well and allowing me to put stuff in perspective like never before.

Jena

and Loth you are so right. My last job I got to help ppl to an extent, yet it was still the bottom line. This is soo different. I'll def never be rich doing this, tha'Tourette's Syndrome for sure. Yet so far and I do say so far lol, the feeling that it gives you deep in the pit of your stomach is unlike anything i've ever felt before. Giving, helping, supporting making just one person's day better is a reward within itself. I wish I had found this sooner, yet at least I did. I also have my little difficult child to thank for this position. Truly a lemon into lemonade thing for us here. It's so so strange how life works.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so happy for you! The rest of the family will adjust! They will be happy someday with your happiness...
Mommy *needs* this!!! You are going to be great at this job!