I've got a strange feeling in the pit of...

tiredmommy

my gut that Duckie is getting sicker. :crying:

She had another asthma attack late this morning. She's still pale with dark circles unger her eyes. And she's still coughing, just not as bad since using her inhaler. Her temp is at 99.6F. She's been on the amoxi for 24 hours now... her cheeks are red, no other sign of rash. She's been on the liquid prednisolone since Sunday night.

She's not bouncing back. And I'm scared.

smallworld

She may have a bacterial infection in her bronchial tract or in her lungs that the amoxicillin is not touching. In other words, she may have had strep on top of a secondary bacterial infection to the cold virus she had last week. While Amox is great for strep, it doesn't touch bronchial/lung infections. Call the doctor.

by the way, Prednisone can cause red cheeks. I personally wouldn't worry about that particular symptom.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Did you call yet? How's she doing? difficult child 1 gets sick the same way with any URI. It hoovers. And he always seems to end up with a cough that lasts 6 weeks or more. :( Hope she feels better soon.

graceupongrace

TM, does Duckie have a nebulizer? Works much better than an inhaler for opening up the bronchial passages when infection is present. Sorry she's not well. It's so hard to see our kids that way!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sorry to hear Duckie is not feeling any better. I hate to see pred or similar used for viral infections though I do understand the necessity in patients who have other respiratory issues (keeps down inflammation and swelling, etc.).

The problem with the pred is that it leaves the body very open to secondary infections. Combine that with the fact that antibiotics basically can't differentiate between good and bad bacteria and you've got a nasty scenario set for all sorts of infections.

You might want to ask your doctor about a course of Zithromax. It is very effective against respiratory bacterial infections and there seems to be less of an issue with resistance.

It it's viral, you are sort of stuck because antibiotics don't work and pred can make viral infections really "take off" by suppressing the body's normal immune responses.

smallworld

The problem with Zithromax is that it doesn't treat strep effectively. If strep is also part of the current scenario, Duckie needs a broad-spectrum antibiotic that will treat both strep AND a bronchial/lung infection (Augmentin comes to mind).

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SW is right. Sorry about that. Zithromax does nothing for strep. Augmentin would treat both infections, but some people have a real problem keeping the stuff down

smallworld

Whenever my kids have persistent sinus or bronchial infections, our pediatrician rx Augmentin. But you're right, GN, it does a number on their digestive systems. I have them shovel in yogurt to replenish the good bacteria.

slsh

member since 1999
TM, an important thing that Boo taught me many years ago is to always follow my gut. There's been a rare occasion where my gut has been wrong, but much more often than not that nagging mommy radar has been right. I may not always know what specifically is wrong, but I can sure tell when something is off.

I'd much rather be an overprotective hypervigilant worrywart than ignore my gut and potentially miss something. And if the docs check him out head to toe and find nothing? Fabulous - great news.

Mommies have guts for a reason.

I hope she starts springing back soon.

tiredmommy

I'll be calling the doctor again in the morning, I'll ask about augmentin & getting her a nebulizer. So many kids are sick @ Duckie's school that one of her friends (who is more sickly than Duckie) is being pulled out temporarily to be home-schooled. I think that Mom may be on to something...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
TM sorry Duckie isn't getting better.

Always Always trust your Mommy gut. Those instincts have been developed via experience.

((hugs))

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm sorry to hear that you are getting the feeling in the pit of your stomach that something isn't right.
I'm sending positive thoughts that she starts to mend.

tiredmommy

Thanks. We're camped out on the couch again so that I can keep an eye on her throughout the night. husband is even concerned whereas he is normally pretty laid back.