I've got to adjust.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You guys are too funny!!

I get scolded from MIL1 because I lock my doors. She's like...no one locks their doors here!! Why are you locking your doors? Well, I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of sense as they all have keys anyways. Guess I should just put a rack up outside the front door to make it easier for them.

Wiped Out..my brother in law lives North of Green Bay. I'll see if he has that bumper sticker. 25mph is SOOOOO slow. It's like I can just coast, no gas.

I draw the line at the house dress and slippers. I'm considering the pole on the porch, though. That might liven things up around here. Although I'll probably hear, "My EYES! My EYES!!!"

Yes, Loth...had my first naky smoke this morning. Only one neighbor out. Don't think he saw me. He's like 90. Probably couldn't see me anyways.

Just got back from checking on evil cat. I tell you what...if that cat is alive at the end of the week, it will be a miracle. He's got his back all humped up, hissing...hair on end, and then just launches at you. Attack cat. Not attack dog...attack CAT. I just want to shake him and drill into his head that HE'S A CAT.

Sheesh. Stupid cat.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Your far more adaptable than I would be Abbey. SO and I were looking at places to move to when I retire, and from what you have written, Minn will not even make the list. I don't think I would survive the first snow fall, let alone not having a fence in my yard and people showing up unannounced. I have lived in my house for 23 years -only one of my neighbors has been in my house - one time - and that was the front hallway cause she needed to borrow two eggs LOL To me, being friendly with the neighbors is a short wave if you see one then going about your business..

Marcie

Abbey

Spork Queen
Marcie...snowfall is going to be another issue. BIG issue for me.

But, the slower and more trusting lifestyle is taking me time to get used to, but it's a good thing to do. I like good people. When you live where you are, and where I was, you are so distrustful (is that a word?) of everyone around you. Everyone pulls up to their house and uses the clicker to go in the garage and rarely converses with people around them.

Don't get me wrong. I like my privacy, but it's also nice to chit chat here and there and know that in an instant, you could have a hoard of neighbors that would help you with anything.

Just keep me out of the snow.:D

Abbey

meowbunny

Small towns are a breed in and of themselves. It doesn't matter where it is, there is a general attitude that you won't find in larger, more suburban or urban areas. If you got "caught" by family members, odds are no one will know that you like to be nekky. If it was your neighbors, the whole town knows by now (including your in-laws). If they know, they might be a little more circumspect about barging in. lol

It will take time for you to truly adjust. One thing you will probably have to give up entirely is walking/sleeping nude. Just tain't safe no more! I can remember once taking a shower and discovering my clean undies were in the laundry room. No problem -- just walk through the house and get a clean pair. HA!! Neighbor was in living room waiting for me to finish my shower so HE could borrow some sugar for his wife. I'm not sure who screamed louder. He ran for the door, I ran for the bedroom. Never again did I walk around the house without at least a towel wrapped around me.

And, yes, borrowing is a way of life. Flour, sugar, canned goods, herbs, insecticides, yard tools, tools in general, etc. I once loaned out every chair in my house for a Bible study at my neighbors. After awhile, you don't even think twice. It all evens out in the long run.

One thing I loved was that if someone went to the store in the winter, we always checked with all of our neighbors to see if they needed anything. No reason for everyone to suffer through the ice and snow.

There are pluses and minuses to small towns. There is a complete lack of privacy, especially if you have family in the town. There is also a complete willingness to share and help. If you can't tell, I like small towns and their general attitude.

susiestar

Roll With It
Abbey,

It takes time, but you will adjust. It is confusing and uncomfortable now, but there are good things about it too.

The slower pace can drive you bonkers. i remember the adjustment period well. After a while you will learn the routes through the back streets where the cops aren't. Want to learn it faster? Deliver Pizza or flowers. Pizza delivery is esp good, because you have to get it there FAST. If you do this, make sure you get step by step instructions to each place youa re going. I did this in college and got SO LOST - in my hometown. You know, the one I learned to drive in!

If you get enough tickets you can keep copies of them and use them to cover the outside of your new scrapbook!! They will become a badge of honor of your adjustment?

give it time, and be patient with the neighbors.

Get a squirt bottle and squirt that cat as soon as you see him!!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, I just found a new one. Laid in bed to read a book...dozed off. Then all of a sudden I hear civil defense sirens blaring. With all the storms we've had, I book it downstairs. They go and go...then all of a sudden I realize it's their weekly testing at noon. Geez.:angry-very:

What a gomer I am.

Abbey

Andy

Yep, you get to the point where you ignore the siren. Even difficult child will ask calmly, "Is it the 1st Wed of the month?" "Yep, it and it must be 1:00" If anything did happen the 1st Wed of the month at 1:00, the entire town would be goners.

In my neighborhood, we even visit in each other's yards without the owner present. One day the neighbor two doors down and I somehow ended up in the middle neighbor's yard. I was probably going to check on difficult child and she had come over to the neighbor's yard to get her dog. As we stood and talked, the neighbor came out, "Thought I would join you since you are in my yard." :)

Get out the grill and have a neighborhood Summer end party! (Don't have a grill? No worry, just borrow from next door.)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Meowbunny...too funny story. I thought once kids were out of the house I could just do my own thing. I guess not. Now I have inlaws and neighbors.:laugh:

I was privy to a nice neighbor family fight, though, today. This was a good old fashioned 'I'm going to kick your arse' fight. Mom is screaming, teen is screaming...really nice. Dad is sitting in the background on a chair with a beer in hand.

Guy from next door asked me if I wanted to come over for a BBQ tonight. No thanks, but thanks for the offer. I haven't mentioned that I don't eat meat. That would shake the entire town. I would be excommunicated.

I'm putting my pole up. Got to shake this neighborhood up. I'll go down to the hospital at 2am and take those boys back for a good concert.

Abbey

everywoman

Abbey, you have me in stitches. I am another person who enjoys being nude. I keep an old bathing suit cover--black tank to my knees. If I get out the shower, want a smoke, I throw it own, go to the back deck, and prop my feet up. I'll also throw it on to check the mail or walk out in the yard. It's not pretty, but neither is the body underneath anymore!!!!
Small towns, slower pace, speed limits have always been a part of my existence. I don't think I could adjust well in a large city. I like knowing my banker, doctor, dentist, mechanic. It nice when buying a car to just call the bank and tell them to deposit the money and you'll fill out the loan papers later!!!

donna723

OMG! I'm still trying to process it that you went outside nekkid to smoke! Around here, if you did that, people would talk about you and point you out to their friends in the grocery store ... "Nekkid as a jaybird I tell you, and a cigarette in her hand!" I don't even like to take the dog out first thing in the morning without a bra on (me, not the dog, although she needs it more than I do)! Sure as I do, someone will come driving down the street and pull over and stop so they can see the "cute little doggie"! Happened to me just yesterday ... I didn't recognize the car at first but it turned out to be a woman I used to work with who probably couldn't have cared less if I had a bra on or not!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Donna...that is probably what it is like here. Hey...did you see that crazy lady down the street? She's out there in her skivvys smoking every morning!

Actually, guys from next door just woke me from my 3rd nap of the day. Don't know what is with me and sleep right now. You sure you don't want to stop over? No...maybe it's the pole on the deck.;)

Abbey

DammitJanet

Abbey....you really will adjust.

I grew up in Richmond Va. I now live what I lovingly call the armpit of america. Its very rural and small town south. Like I have said before, my boys have been known to open the front door and take a whiz off the front steps...lol. Guess it does help that we live on 8 acres and we dont have any close neighbors.

Life is slower. In our little community, everyone knows everyones business. Now we dont all have keys to each others houses but its relatively safe here. I rarely lock my doors at night. My cars are never locked. I have to double check to make sure tony doesnt leave the darned keys in them...lol. If it wasnt for the lack of high speed internet here I might not be as irritated with this town...lol.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

It's truly culture shock - I had the same phenomenom when I moved to Seattle from a fairly small community. I was so trusting....so naive. I don't necessarily like the person I've become because of the city I live in....because I feel the need to be on the alert for one reason or another.

I miss the slower lifestyle....the ability to trust your neighbors & make true friendships among those neighbors. The sense of community is, to me, like a sense of family.

I hope you can adjust soon....if not you can always trade places with me & take on kt & wm for me. That's a real good idea....I like it. Hmmmmm........

Marguerite

We live in a small town. Village, really. People don't lock doors which is why last week a house got done over by a couple of thieves who waited until they saw the owners leave to go for a walk. But the police got a really good description, those thieves will discover why even unlocked doors shouldn't be seen as an invitation.

We also have a nude beach here, Abby. Actually, it's less a beach and more a very tiny, hidden sandy/rocky gap between two cliffs. husband & I used to go there in the days before kids. Now, it's too far for me to walk. Our other beaches - people sunbake topless all the time. I don't, though - it's not a good idea to go nude or topless once you become well known in the town. Although if I go to the beach mid-week, it's secluded enough for me to easily see if someone's coming along, and I have plenty of time to cover up. The beach is generally empty during the week. Even on weekends, there's plenty of room to move. And everyone's chatty.

Another thing about small towns - you duck down to the shops for a bottle of milk and two hours later you're still chatting to people you've bumped into... Saturday mornings in our village are like one big party and coffee morning.

Marg

Abbey

Spork Queen
Don't know if I could do a nude beach. Oddly enough, I'm a bit shy.:anxious:

What I DO know is I need some warmer clothes. I'm sitting here FREEZING and it's all of about 60 degrees. I had two blankies on me last night and was still freezing. Oh, geez...this winter should be fun. I guess when you're used to 113 degrees every day, 60 is a bit of a change.

husband, poor guy, has been literally living out of his car for the past 9 days. He's in Vegas doing all kinds of gigs, stopping in friend's houses to take a shower, etc. But, he's SLEEPING IN THE CAR. I'm like...hon, it's 113 degrees out. You'll be on the 10 oclock news like some dog that got killed in the car he was left in. The irony is I still have my room there. He could go stay there with GPM but he won't. "I can't stay with 5 other guys!" Well, I guess you'll suffocate in your car then. Tough choice there!!

Abbey