I've Killed Again!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG! *##@&@$*%#
:grrr::919Mad::wildone::highvoltage::grrr:

Computer was working fine when I stopped doing homework at 3am and went to bed. Got up this morning and turned it on and it says it has a boot disc error.......and we can't do a d@mn thing with it. husband tried putting in the disc for Vista.....it loaded partway and stopped.

I've done nothing to cause it. And my repair dude Travis is up in Dayton.:ashamed::faint:

Of course his cell phone is off. I had to come on here to get his house phone number as I have it saved in my messages folder. (a back up for me lol) So am gonna try his house phone but if he's sleeping he won't hear it. I even put PHONE HOME on his facebook page.

I'm teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown and/or a full blown difficult child rage.

The only thing preventing either is that it wouldn't do much good. So instead I'm cursing like a sailor on shore leave.:mad:

I have got to have my computer. No way around it. All the information I need is on there for school.

husband won't drive up and get Travis. Too much gas to take him back and forth. Reasonable, I suppose.......but I'm not feeling very reasonable right now.

DammitJanet

Do you have your stuff backed up? I think you need to reinstall windows. If it was here we could probably save it but we cant do it long distance...lol. Billy just did this to my therapists computer a couple of weeks ago and he has some tools he has downloaded to fix stuff but there is no way I can do this from NC to OH. Her computer wouldnt even start up either.

susiestar

Roll With It
Do you have a second computer in the house, or a laptop one of the girls can bring over? Maybe Travis could talk you through it on the phone or via IM.

Is the gas to get Travis and take him back later more expensive than a computer repair person? My computer guy is excellent and has no clue, so he charges $30 per hour with a minimum charge of $30. I have only had one time it was even an hour to repair, and it was fifteen minutes over - to rebuild a computer with the exception of the old small floppy disc drive and the hard drive (but put in a new cd drive and hard drive also). He charges so little that I often tip him with a meal or book on aspergers. His wife is a friend from high school and college, and their oldest is an Aspie.

Anyway, you might see if the cost of the gas is less than a repair call.

I am sorry. I know how awful it is. Vista seems to want to update computers at will and the last 3 times it happened my computer did not work anything close to right.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We have husband's laptop.......which is what I'm on now, and my old computer that travis fixed....I'd just have to switch out video cards to use it again.

This would not be such a big deal if the boy wasn't in Dayton. Even if he had to reload windows he could save my stuff.

No Janet. The stuff I need I just didn't think to stick on the external hard drive.....although I'm kicking myself for it now, let me tell you. I hate to put stuff I need only temporarily on it. And some of it I just couldn't put there, like Microsoft Word. husband's computer doesn't have the space for it.

I nearly killed myself getting all my other work done just so I could work on that nutrition project.......and now I'm dead in the water, so to speak.

Nichole's boyfriend is stopping by later to look and see if it's something he knows how to fix. But honestly.......he doesn't have much confidence in himself even though he's had as much training as Travis. And that makes me not so thrilled to let him touch my computer. :(

And I still can't get Travis to answer his phones. He must have stayed up all night and is still sleeping.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Lisa,
I think I would probably be having both a full blown difficult child rage and a nervous breakdown! I hate computer problems!! Hope yours is fixed soon!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, won't be fixed any time soon. Nichole's boyfriend reallly tried hard, even collaborated with Travis via phone to no avail. Although we know what the problem is. The boot thingie doesn't recognize that my harddrive is there......except that it will sort of load the vista disc which has the boyfriend totally confused. Cuz it shouldn't be able to do that if it really doesn't see the hard drive.

Sooooooooooooooo. Travis finishes his quarter next week. husband is gonna run up and get him. He was planning on staying here during his break anyway. He can do more in person, over the phone is awfully hard/impossible.

Meanwhile.....I'll be spending all my spare time at the college computer lab redoing what I've already done on the nutrition project in hopes of maybe getting it done by the due date. That's a big maybe at this point.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I just wonder if you are an "electric person" - real phenomenon. I suffer from this - can't wear a watch - have plenty in the drawer....I wear them - they stop dead. I take them off, put them in the drawer, let them sit for a while? They start up. I can touch a time clock - and kill it. I have killed numerous computers, a few Furbies (not kidding), Radio controlled cars, I am not even allowed to touch the clocks in the house - if I do - the time literally will stop or jump or slow. The only watches I have had any luck with are the 70's style bands that have leather on the entire band and under the watch too. My computer guy suggested that I wear rubber gloves whenever I touch the tower. I thought he was kidding. I blow up light bulbs more than the average person does. I just tell people it's my electric personality - but sometimes it's a real shocker. lol. Maybe that's you too? Too much current? Oh and in the Winter time? Most people have static electricity? You can actually SEE the spark I throw and it hurts. I'm pretty sure if I ever scuffed my shoes and did it? Zzzt.
:highvoltage:
Believe me - when it lightnings out? I'm inside no where near the windows.lol....you know Just in case.

Hey - anything is possible.

The watchmaker for Seiko told me that there are some people that do have a lot of current running through their bodies - he suggested the leather band and also sold me a very spendy self-wind watch. It's the only one I have not killed yet. (For $440) I hope not.

trinityroyal

Star, my brother in law is also an electric person, and he kills off electronics regularly.

Lisa, my husband and I both ran into a problem with our computers that sounds just like the issue you're having. husband said that it was something to do with the BIOS that made it look like a hardware issue. Whatever it was, he was able to fix both of our computers with no data loss.

Let me try to reach him at work and see if he can provide me with written instructions for what he did. He has a killer-busy day so it might take a few hours, but I'm pretty certain he will know how to fix it.

Is there an error message that you saw when your computer went belly-up? If you know exactly (or even roughly) what the message said, please send it along as that can help in the process of fixing.

Trinity

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm thinking it's a BIOS issue as well. Your computer setup settings tell the computer what boot discs to use and in what order to seek them.

The Windows disc is booting partway up because it is made so you can boot from it. My guess is that you are stalling right where it starts to actually install.

You may need to go to a techinician on this one.

KTMom91

Hope Travis is able to fix it easily. Sending lots of extra strength to redo all the work you've already done. We're having "issues" too...I'm just waiting.