J is British!

Malika

As I've mentioned, last year I applied for British nationality for J and it was refused. There is no official appeal system, but you can question the decision as long as you establish that the government was not following law or regulations by refusing the application. Obviously that's a bit hard to do, but I came up with three sets of laws/guidelines that I argued were not being adhered to in refusing J citizenship and.... lo and behold, I heard today that my challenge was successful and J is now British!

It's great news. Literally, it changes our lives.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I always thought it was harder to obtain if the father isn't English (course that could have been my X's line of bs'ing me LOL )

But both of our boys have dual citizenship and can travel on American or British passport. But that is great news at any rate

Marcie

BusynMember

Malika, I'm dancing around, doing that happy dance, for you and J. and Grandma who probably hopes you two reside near her one day...and because J. can get some help in the uk that France just won't offer him.

Does that mean he'll start talking with a British accent? (tongue in cheek)

Of course, I'm sure you think WE Americans are the ones with the multitude of accents...lol.

Good news, GREAT news! :)

buddy

Oh my gosh! That opens so many options for you! That is an ultimate warrior mom action. You get the big prize of the day!

Ktllc

:hi5:Yeah!!! Houra!!! Felicitations!!!
It is such exciting news and the consequences are so great for you guys!! Good things do happen to good people!
Let it be a lesson for us all: never give up even when things don't look all that promissing.
Champagne!

Malika

Let it be a lesson for us all: never give up even when things don't look all that promissing.

Yes, I think it is kind of the moral of the story, for me :) To be honest, I had a certain feeling when I posted off the form... I thought we had a strong case and I knew there was a CHANCE of success. It's great that it's come to pass and it does rather restore my faith in my homeland...

Thanks so much for all your generous expressions of support!

Mattsmom277

This is the most enjoyable to read post in ages! I'm thrilled for you both. I know the UK can offer J things that have been unobtainable for you where you are. This is fantastic. Great job mom!!!! You rock :)

Malika

Let us all open a bottle of cervoise tiède to toast this special occasion!

I know I am a heathen when it comes to fine wines (which I presume this is), but this sounds rather disgusting :) Seriously, thank you all for your pleasure at this good news... I don't know that it will mean that I go to live in the UK right away - in fact, Britain is under big, big financial constraint and so many health and other services have been cut - but it just means an enormous amount in terms of freedom and future opportunity for J.

Oh, okay... I gather it's beer and it's from Asterix! Santé!

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Congratulations!
I know that Britain is having financial difficulties, but in addition to programs, you also want understanding and knowledge. I think you will get more of that once you get there. :) You can make the rest happen somehow. It's such a different culture.

SuZir

That is so awesome!

I kind envy the freedom you two now have. (Yeah, yeah I could pack my bags and move almost anywhere too, but my work doesn't travel, we live in the house/land that has been husband's family for ages etc. And after moving a lot as a kid, this is what I wanted, but still...)

However I don't really get what was a problem with this. I mean, you are British and J is your kid. Had it something to do with adopting him when living abroad or would it had been problem even if he was your biological child or adopted while living in Britain?

Malika

However I don't really get what was a problem with this. I mean, you are British and J is your kid. Had it something to do with adopting him when living abroad or would it had been problem even if he was your biological child or adopted while living in Britain?

Ah, SuZir! Shall I bore you with all the details? No...? Oh, okay then. :)

Suffice it to say that automatic British citizenship comes only for children adopted from what they call "designated" countries - of which Morocco is not one. Other than that, granting citizenship to adopted children is purely at the Home Secretary's discretion - and in the present economic climate, if they can refuse it, they will. But I happened upon some laws that could be used to argue that the Home Sec. had made a mistake in refusing citizenship in J's case.

Cynical minds would say that they wanted to avoid the cost and time of a court case that they might well have lost and less cynical ones that the rule of law and British fairplay won the day.