Janet? Heard from our Billy Marine?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was thinking of you today as we were talking about the Marine son of a co-worker of mine. I realized I had not asked how you were doing or if you had talked to him.

You know he's in my thougths and prayers.

DammitJanet

LOL...its Jamie thats the Marine...lets keep the names straight people...LMAO! Billy is the one going to school for heating and air!

Billy is the oldest...Jamie the middle, Cory brings up the rear (and brings in the cops!).

On the serious side, Jamie hasnt heard anything more except that he should be leaving for Camp Lejeune in NC in November. He should be there for 3 months of training and then he will find out where he is going overseas. We know it will be either Iraq or Afghanistan but just not sure which one or where at in those countries. He will keep his job as a MP which is dangerous...sigh. The Marine MP's do patrols. I am hoping if he goes to Iraq he gets the green zone which is where the diplomats are but Im not holding my breath.

I am just in a holding pattern. We try not to think too much but I have told him to start making preparations. He is going to write out cards for his daughter for the next 17 birthdays with special messages to her "just in case". I will keep them to send to her. We are getting info on cell phones for over there and collecting dvd's and stuff like that. We will probably look into a cheap laptop for him to take or something. Amazing what they can take to war these days...lol.

Im already collecting samples to send over in care packages and if anyone else wants to start collecting samples for me...please let me know...I will give you my addy when the time comes.

We are all doing ok for now. We are going up to visit him in July around his birthday. I want him to spend as much time with Keyana as possible...again...just in case. I hate thinking the worst but as fran always says "plan for the worst, be pleased with best."

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks for letting us know. It is so sweet that he is doing all the cards for his daughter. Truly shows his love for her.

I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet

I like the card idea. He could also do a movie about himself, things he likes, doesn't like, how he feels about her, how he feels about her growing up, what's going on in the world ect. You could probably rent a camcorder if you don't have one. My nephew did one for his kids each time he went over. Once in Desert Storm, twice in this last one. The videos are good cuz years down the road they can still be fun to watch.

Glad he has til Nov to prepare.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Please forgive a decrepit brain - my heart is still good thank goodness.

Jamie,
Jamie,
Jamie....
JaMARINEie......got it.

Hugs - what kind of samples?

nvts

Janet! I remember a lot of the soldiers that were over there were asking for silly string (it was to detect some type of weapon) ask Jamie about it. He'll probably know.

Also, he can buy disposible video cameras at CVS or probably any store like it (pharmacy chain). They cost 20 or 30 bucks, but deliver a lifetime of memories.

I've also got the whole family in my prayers!

Beth

Coookie

Janet,

Jamie and you all are in my thoughts and prayers. He has a special place in my heart.... please tell him that.

Hugs

everywoman

Janet, I know you are worried about Jamie and his deployment. I am so with you on that one. I am hoping my princess warrior won't be deployed when she finishes AIT. Luckily she was denied clearance as an MP!!! (Thank you stupid exbf). She will be working with computer systems instead of walking security. Keep us informed.
I'm going to pm you a site where you can get lots of free samples.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Janet! I remember a lot of the soldiers that were over there were asking for silly string (it was to detect some type of weapon) ask Jamie about it. He'll probably know.

If I remember right, they use the silly string to detect "invisible" trip wires in buildings. Stand in the doorway, spray the silly string and if it doesn't hit the floor, don't go in. I do think though that I saw something once about they don't need anymore but I'm not entirely sure about that. I could be wrong or that could have been one of those things that the higher ups didn't think they needed but the "grunts" do. Worth checking into though.

His unit or base should have some type of Family Readiness Group that you can get ideas from also. One thing for his wife (?) which never occured to me until a friend mentioned it when her hubs was in Iraq. Alot of military wives have stickers or magnets on their vehicles that will say something along the lines of "Half of my heart is in Iraq" or yellow ribbons on their house (especially ones that live off base). While it's definately understandable and supportive, it's just advertising the fact that you are living there by yourself. Other than a ribbon around a tree in her yard, my friend didn't do anything else. She was alone in a house with a toddler and a new baby and didn't want to advertise the fact to anyone who would try to take advantage of that somehow.

I'm all for the goody boxes. Just let us know what, when and where! Sending good thoughts your way for you all!

DammitJanet

I know I will be doing the blue star flag on my vehicle and mailbox along with the yellow ribbon and the half my heart stickers...dont know about the wife. She lives in a townhouse so that is a bit safer than living completely alone. Also her brother and his girlfriend live in the basement.

Its funny...I had all the Marine stickers on my old car but when I got the new car I didnt go and get new ones. I thought that chapter of my life was over. I guess I need to go and "renew" them...lol. As they say, "Once a Marine (Mom), Always a Marine (Mom)!"

Janet,

I guess I'm getting Alzheimer's a bit early!!! Anyway, I'm keeping JAMIE and the rest of your family in my thoughts and prayers. I've thought about him often since you first posted about this.

I also love the card idea. And, please count me in on the samples. What types do you want us to send to you? WFEN