Janet...is NC "dry"?

DDD

We are sending easy child/difficult child to a three day business school in NC. husband wants him to be able to drive since he's never gone a solo road trip. I've started wondering about his drinking habits. He does not drink and drive (fingers crossed he sticks with that) but now I'm wondering if he might end up in a "dry" area. That would not be pretty. I would guess he'd seek out a blunt if no booze is available. Also I'm wondering about the NC laws regarding transporting booze. Around here you can get arrested if you have a bottle in your car that is not still sealed. Worry, worry, worry. DDD

klmno

I'm not Janet and can't speak for every county in NC but as a state, NC is not dry. I think most states have laws that open containers of alcohol in a vehicle while driving is illegal. Janet will probably come along later and be able to give more detail.

DDD

My Ex and I moved to Hampton/Newport News Va. many many years ago. Boy were we shocked that they had State liquor stores. A bunch of people drank "shine". That was an eye opening experience. It may be County by County. As much as I hope he will stop drinking a couple of nights a week.......I am alot more afraid that he will (or has?) get back into pot! Thanks.
DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
You can buy beer and wine in the grocery store but hard liquor is sold in a separate store.

DammitJanet

It used to be we had dry counties but now I think all have liquor. It has been since I have moved here that they went to liquor by the drink though...used to have to byob...lol. Now open containers are a problem but as long as it is in the trunk, no biggie. If he is in my county, they would just tell him to pour it out...lol. We are lax!

TerryJ2

No, NC is not dry. In fact, at the Outer Banks, they have Brew Thru's where you drive through and pick up what you want like a drive in fast food place, although they look a bit like car washes. I thought that was the strangest thing I'd ever seen.
In VA, the most recent law (and the laws change every 2 yrs, seriously) is that you can have an open bottle in the car in the back seat. Huh?
I'm guessing some driver got ticketed or a passenger sued and won or some such thing.

DammitJanet

Terry, we had one of those here but it went out of business. i guess our drunks arent too lazy to get out of their cars or off their scooters. in facf, it may be the reason it went out of business is you couldnt walk through or ride a scooter or as we call them drunkmobiles.

TerryJ2

by the way, at the beach one yr, I was making so much noise about what an awful concept it was, that husband's cousin piped up and said, "Well, we've gotten potato chips there."
Ahem.

DDD

Way back in the day you could "drive through" in La. and get a mixed drink of your choice. I was amazed to hear about it and I pictured lots of people getting "a nerve settler" if they had difficult child's in the car. Good thing we didn't have it in Fl. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
SC is on Sunday -------in certain counties. (BLUE LAWS) - unless you belong to a "private" club. You must sign up for a membership, get 2 sponsors, and wait for your membership card, then show it to the bartender on arrival into the club. Without it you can be busted by any undercover SLED officer. (nuts for sure)