Janet...where's the site you mentioned the other day?

DDD

As you know I'm no rocket scientist. I know there is a site "where you can see the people on the streets" like you referred to. I think I used to know how to access it. I know I don't remember now, lol.

I was thinking it might be helpful in choosing a neighborhood for easy child/difficult child to explore. IF he goes through with the plan he'll fly up and check out the possibilities (I hope with easy child's help, lol) but "seeing it" might make it more comfortable in advance.

Don't forget :embarrassed:I need easy instructions! Hugs DDD

donna723

DDD, I'm not sure what site Janet mentioned, but are you thinking of Google Earth? If that's what it is, you can just download it and make sure you have the version with "Street Views". It's free and a lot of fun to play with. You can bring up a specific town, a street, or even an address and it takes you right to it.

DammitJanet

I also use it with the maps on regular google. Like when you bring up your browser and hit. www.google.com and the google page comes up, there is a maps section on it. Well there is also a place where you can set it to street view of the area or address you are looking for...so if for say you are looking at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, Difficult Child. You would be able to go left and right and "drive" right up the road. Now Im not sure they have that on street view...lol.

donna723

The "Street View" first shows it from above like the older versions of Google Earth. It has the names of the streets and will show little pictures of a camera on the streets that are in the system. They don't always do all the side streets, rural areas, etc. You just click on the "camera" closest to where you want to look and it zooms in and shows it from the street view of that vantage point. It's a panoramic view where you can turn it around and see from all directions. You can go up or down the street just by clicking on a different "camera" a little further down.

They actually have people in cars with panoramic cameras on the roof of the car and they drive up and down the streets taking pictures from all angles as they go. I have no idea how they put it all together but it's a lot of fun to play with. And by exploring around a little, you can get a very good idea about neighborhoods, what looks like a good area or a bad area and how it's kept up.

DammitJanet

LOL...I would have loved to have had that job when it didnt kill me to be in a car day in and day out. Just imagine...drive drive drive.

donna723

I can put in my daughter's address and see their house from right at their driveway, and their cars parked there. Very neat.

It's kind of funny though. They did the major streets of my little town and from one angle you can see part of my house down the side street. It looks funny though when they show Main Street and the court house square, apparently with pictures taken over a year ago. Since then they've fancied it up a lot with wider sidewalks, old-timey street lights, lots of flower beds and trees on the street, and they took down all the overhead power lines. I never realized how bad it looked before until I could compare the way it looks now to the way it used to look.

DammitJanet

Yeah...I havent done google earth on my address in a long time but last time I did, it showed cars that we no longer had in the yard...lol.

DDD

Today is not my brightest day. Guess I'll have to try again ???? one o these days when I feel smart. I thought it would be a good idea to look at locations (apartments, etc.) in areas easy child/difficult child "may" choose to live. I tried your site Donna and there was dialog about how the new #6 version doesn't allow street views. I tried your's Janet and could figure how to click on SV.

Alas, tomorrow is another day! DDD