Jessie's Cooking OOPA turned MMMM

susiestar

Roll With It
Jess wanted to make cake the other day. Fine by me. I got the recipe and let her at it.

After the cake was out and mostly cooled, it just didn't look the way it should. I asked her what kind of cocoa she used. she picked up an empty can of HOT COCOA MIX!!! Not baking cocoa!!!

I chuckled, then said that we usually use the hersheys (or whatever brand) baking cocoa. I wouldn't let her throw it away, esp not before we tasted it. So I had the first piece.

It is a lighter chocolate taste, but really really good. It was Carnation Hot Cocoa Mix that she used - milk chocolate flavor.

I think that in the future we will use much less sugar, but it still was great. With the cost of cocoa going up, this might be a good alternative.

I am going to submit it to the hot cocoa company. Maybe they will put it on the cans?

Anyway, here is the recipe the way it was supposed to be made:

2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt

Stir together in large bowl.

2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla

Stir into dry ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes.

1 c boiling water

Stir in. Mixture will be very thin.

Bake in greased and floured (Bakers Joy?) 9 by 13 pan at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes

She just used hot cocoa mix instead of the cocoa. You can experiment with the amount of sugar used if you want to try this.

Hope you enjoy it, we did!! It stayed very moist.

Susie

susiestar

Roll With It
BBK - She felt really bad until I explained that chocolate chip cookies were an OOPS. The lady making them was intended to make chocolate cookies and forgot to melt the chocolate, so she stirred chopped chocolate in hoping it would melt and somehow mix in. Jess felt better after learning that. AND having a piece of her own cake.

Andy

How cool! That would be wonderful if the recipie gets recognition from the company! Good lesson in that even when things don't go as planned, they can be just as good.