JJJ's accountability thread

JJJ

Not so well, I am doing great at going to PT, mediocre at daily workouts and up and down on eating. Refocusing today!!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Something someone once told me about salad, and it's TRUE...

Ask for dressing on the side. Dip your fork in it before stabbing a bite of salad. You get the taste - but not too much. Since I don't like my salad drowned, this was a perfect solution for me, too!

InsaneCdn

Not sure what "so-so" means... Calories? quality? timing?
Don't try and "hit the switch" tomorrow and do everything right... just change ONE thing tomorrow.

trinityroyal

So glad you had a great workout at the gym.
I agree with InsaneCdn's approach of tackling one goal at a time. If you try to do too many things at once, it can get overwhelming.

Giulia

I agree at 200% with trinity.

JJJ, if you want to do too many things at once, you miserably fail because you can't keep up on the long term.
The most important is "What small change can I make and keep up on the long term ?". According to my personal experience, small changes leads more often than not to the biggest success.

I think that before focusing on quantities and calories, focus more on "how do I feel while eating ?". If you eat because you are hungry, or because you feel like it (it's not absolutely the same), or because you're bored, or because you're sad etc etc...
If you focus on conscious eating more than you focus on calories and quantities, then you will stop dieting then turning back to your old patterns. The most important is finding a system which works on the long run. If you deprive yourself, it won't absolutely work on the long run and at first stress, back on your old pattern. Then, you put on all what you've lost, + some more pounds.
In France, the health agency published a report about dieting, overweight, obesity. In summarize, it says that the more you focus on calories and quantities, the more you are prone to yoyo (lose, then put on back + a few pounds more). Which leads to metabolic issues even more severe than they were, so much more damage than the initial problem, the more you become more obese.

About workout, find something you can easily fit in your schedule. You can go to the post office by foot and it takes 10 minutes ? Be it.
Don't reason in "everything or nothing" pattern.
Better 10 minutes during a without or so-so day than nothing.

Again, small changes you keep.
For example, you can focus on "I take ten minutes to eat my salad and discover all the subtle tastes of this salad". Or "I chew every bite of biscuit slowly". It is a much more realistic approach than calories or quantities, and it leads to less deprivation, so less feeling a failure, so less emotional eating and such. The more consciously you eat, the least you risk to overeat.
Another example with exercise is, for example, "I go home climbing the stairs rather than taking the lift".
After you mastered the small goal you implemented and you can keep it for a few weeks, even months, you can add another tiny and very measurable goal.

Baby steps and conscious eating are the key to go on the long run.

JJJ

Ladies, you are all correct. When I focus on the small changes, I do so much better but then I get impatient and try to do too much.

For about 3 months, I have not had any diet pop.

For about 3 weeks, I have done PT and mild exercise. My doctor told me today that he is very proud of how hard I have worked both in the PT sessions and on my own between sessions! I can now look over both shoulders! I think it has been a year since I had full movement in my next.

My small goal for April is to go to the gym 4 days each week for at least an hour.

Focusing on food always messes me up so for now, I will just use smaller plates and try to make healthier meals but not hyperfocus on it.

Giulia

JJJ, your doctor is right. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Pat yourself on your shoulder with the doctor (he was proud of you, so be proud of yourself).

I understand how impatient you can be. I can be the same on other stuff too. But your being overweight/obese didn't happen overnight. Weight loss cannot happen overnight either. It's a long and gradual process.
Celebrate each small step you reach, and be good with yourself for each small step you reach.

About food, forget about focusing on quantities/calories.
The most important is conscious eating. Do you eat because you are hungry, because you fancy to eat biscuit/peanut butter.... because of boredom, because of sadness.... ?
Your brain has already a very intelligent calorie counter. You won't overeat if you actually really listen to yourself. It's not a problem if you'd rather nibble multiple times of the day rather than eating three meals a day, or if you eat chocolate with banana instead of eating a big undressed salad, as long as you really listen to yourself and you know why you eat.
I know I heavily insisted on what I underlined/put in bold, but they are the key points.
You don't eat too much because you don't know how to eat healthily. Instead, you know too well how to eat healthily. You want to be such a brave girl that you completely forget what do you need.
Focus more on eating consciously, on listening to what your body says, instead of focusing on eating healthily (we insisted so much on it while forgetting the rest that at the end, it was just a complete failure impossible to keep on the long run. Know that you are not the first, and you won't be the last to be trapped). Then, eating healthily will come naturally, effortlessly for you.
But don't reverse the steps, or you will mess up like crazy. Then, it will be the same vicious circle on low self-esteem-eating-low self-esteem-eating....
I promise you that if you focus on conscience on what to et, rather than healthy eating, you won't overeat and you will be much healthier instead. And it has results you can keep on the long run (so long lasting results).

trinityroyal

JJJ, I'm so glad to hear that your PT is having such good results. It's rewarding when you can see such a measurable difference.

And I think your approach of smaller plates and smaller goals is a good one. It allows you to get results without having to plan too much or focus too much.
Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

Trinity

JJJ

Ok, epic fail. I think I have gained 4 pouns since my last post. I have an appointment tomorrow to see the doctor who helped me lose the 50 pounds the first time. I am so ashamed to have to go back but I know he'll be glad that I am trying again.

InsaneCdn

Ummm... JJJ? since when is "4 lbs" an epic fall?
A bit of a problem, sure. but... you CAN do this.
Even if you need help to do it...

We're behind you. Like usual.

InsaneCdn

Listen. Last year, I lost 25 lbs, across 9 months.

In the last 3 months, I've gained it all back.

That's +25 when I should be -5.

So there. Go get on your own bandwagon. I have to go build myself a new one.

cubsgirl

Good Luck with the doctor. Losing weight is such a battle - I've been fighting and losing so very slowly (like 5 lbs every 2-3 months). Try not to be discouraged!

InsaneCdn

OK, so... maybe Sept is still 3 months away, but... time to plan for what you're gonna do between 8 & 2? Just for you?
<wink>

You're doing better than I am... your secret?