Job situation is truly grim....

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have to hand it to difficult child...it may have been a long time coming, but she is handling the rejection way better than I ever would have anticipated.

Yesterday, I spent another day going round with her to several more places. She had an interview as well.

She went to at least 20 more places (on top of the 20 or so from last week!) and almost all except 3 took her resume or had her fill an app out! Three out of 20! And last week's apps only produced ONE call back/interview. And that guy said he'd call her this Friday or the latest next Monday. WTH?

So many of these places have had Help Wanted signs up for weeks and she's applied to them 2-3 times so what gives??

She's smart, attractive, has some experience in most jobs she has applied to, lives locally, and is available for PT/FT permanent employment...so what is up?

*I just had a thought - could it be the one tattoo she has on her forearm you think? I don't know, H doesn't think so because we see kids with way more tattoos and nasty ones at that working all over the place. Do you think? Because she's a girl?

She started out yesterday with a nice spring to her very well dressed step and smiled a lot and was even chipper. By late afternoon, say about 3PM/4PM, her shoulders were beginning to slump and she was close to tears, but she didn't let them fall. She said "I feel like crap, but I'm not going to let this ruin my day".

The warrior mom in me wants to storm into some of these places and just ask, "What's up???" This morning difficult child said to me, "Well, I'm glad you can see that it's not for lack of trying on my part at least".

I'm thinking that maybe by next week, she will finally apply at 'the dreaded' Ocean State Job Lot out of sheer desperation! Haha.

With all the college kids back, this area is completely flooded with students looking for work. I hope she finds something, even if its just for the summer. It just kind of blows that she's finally trying hard and nothing is coming of it.

meowbunny

Sadly, a lot of places leave the signs up even when there are no openings because of turnover. That way, they have apps on file they can call. There's also background checks which is frequently the delay between applications, interviews and notification date.

If you're in a college town, it's doubly hard. You have college kids looking for anything, even Mickey D's, to pay their tuition. Most employers would rather get these kids than the locals -- they're more inclined to show up for work, willing to go home during slow seasons (winter, spring and summer breaks) and, thus, save money by not having to keep them busy when it is slow.

I doubt it is her tattoo. I think she can blame her parents for choosing to live in a college town.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hahah, MB, we don't live in a college town...we just happen to live in an somewhat affluent area loaded with college kids!! Our high school has about 90+% of graduates heading off to college each year. It's staggering when they all come back into town!! They are like roaches, everywhere!

And you know what? Even those kids won't work at MickeyD's!! Seriously. The kids who work at fast food places around her all come from other towns, usually the inner city. It's actually sickening and disappointing, I know, but true.

I remember when difficult child was about 8. She told everyone she knew that when she was old enough to have a job she wanted to work at McDonalds and do the drive through window. Oh, the guffaws could be heard for miles around. It was pretty funny and every once in a while I ask her if it's still a dream because I'm sure they'd hire her. lol

Steely

I am so sorry.

What type of places is difficult child applying at? I am a manager in a store, and I know that retail is always looking for quality candidates. However, we also get a ton of "kids" appying - so it is important that difficult child try and differentiate herself from other "kids".

What is her past experience? Does she have a little resume put together? If not, she should do that. And then when she is filling out the applications she should always ask to speak to the manager. She should never ever leave the app with "whoever" at the counter. Once she at least has face time with a manager, even if it is for a minute, she increases of getting the job tenfold. She should then follow up and call the manager once a week until the manger literally says we are no longer hiring.

PS - And no, in this day and age the tattoo has no bearing whatsoever.
About 3/4 of our team of tattoos, including the 4 of the 6 managers. (Evidently I need to get on the stick and get out to a tattoo parlor:tongue:)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Steely - all of those are true and difficult child does it. She always asks if the hiring manager or floor manager is available. She is tiny for her age and it's a strange thing because she is either perceived to be older than 18 or younger, but she's been dressing 'older' so she appears older.

We've created a really fine looking resume, she has four excellent references, one is her old boss and one is her principal from HS and two are family friends whom she has worked for.

You did touch on something we've been telling her to do and that's follow up weekly with the managers. She's done it here and there, but not steadily and I think that's part of her problem. I told her to take a business card from whereever she's applied so she can make a follow up call or visit and see the same person, but she forgets.

She's been dressing professionally, with heels, nice clothes, hair pulled back, showered and with just a touch of makeup (not too much - she hates it anyway) and she goes in with her purse, a pen, & her resume.

She has applied at DR offices, department stores, local small businesses, law firms, smaller retail stores, and restaurants. You name it, she's applied. At least now I have seen it with my own two eyes and I know she's not just pulling my leg.

meowbunny

Any employment agencies in your town? How are her skills? Until she gets some experience under her belt, she may be trying for the wrong places.

trinityroyal

I told her to take a business card from whereever she's applied so she can make a follow up call or visit and see the same person, but she forgets.

I second Steely's advice that this is an essential step. If you can help your difficult child to remember it, it might increase her odds significantly.

I am involved in hiring in my job, and the number of applications that come in for certain job postings is staggering. Any candidate who can do something to differentiate him or herself (without being downright weird) is miles ahead of the others. I really appreciate follow-up phone calls, because they show me that a candidate is a go-getter, AND they reduce my workload by helping me short-list a promising candidate.

If difficult child feels awkward about making the follow-up call, or worries that she won't know what to say to the manager, perhaps she can write a little phone script to remind her of the key points.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Follow up is essential. I had to drill that in to Travis and stand over his shoulder while he did it. And now I've been working on Nichole, too.

I know in many areas at certain times of the year, especially around here, the job market gets flooded with applicants. Follow ups help keep you fresh in the manager's mind, and shows them that you are very eager to work.

Keeping body parts crossed she is able to find something soon.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
Jo,

Is she sending HANDWRITTEN thank you notes to ANY manager she gets an interview with? Even if it is informal "face-time" she needs to send a thank-you. husband works in a high level IT job. A large part of ther eason he got it is because I FORCED him to send a handwritten thenk you note.

The BIG boss's boss saw the note and said "Hire Him". husband is 30 yrs older than the others and it is hard to find a job when you are starting over in a new career. The handwritten note made all the difference. The other applicants sent thank yous they typed and printed on regular paper on the computer. husband's not stood out, AND said he knew proper etiquette and could be trusted to handle clients.

Just a thought!

Good Luck!!

Susie

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'm with Meow on this. Is there any temp agencies around, employment staffers? Chances are they DO have work and she would get sent out on work. Perhaps only part time at first but I bet they would have full time work available.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Wow. She's living my life for the previous 6 months. I couldn't get work ANYWHERE. It's a tough blow to your self-esteem, but it sounds like she's handling it well and persisting.

Does she want to come be a demo lady with me? ;)

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jo,

I have no other advice for your daughter, but just wanted to let you know I wish her the best of luck.

I know at 43, trying to compete with younger kids who will actually work 40 hours a week for minimum wage - even for PT jobs to make ends meet? The competition is stiff everywhere. As an office manager I see what the owner is hiring, young under 25, looking for a 'future' with a company and only leaving other jobs because they are moving "UP" or better job. At 24 one kids leaving his job to come work for us as a sales consultant and he's LEAVING a 43k a year job. I have my doubts that the figures are "accurate" but it makes you think you as a woman with as much experience in years as that kids been alive -gets less pay.

Tell her to keep her chin up. I'm proud of her and rooting for her!!

ALSO - FYI - her resume will STAND OUT if......she uses a heavier bond of paper - over 24# AND picks something light an ivory or light light blue - the feel of the heavier paper a lot of times causes employers to keep it in their hands longer. NO PINK - ivory, gray or white even light blue but no other color.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thank ladies!

She has not yet sent a thank you as she's only had to one interview, the guy she called back yesterday who said he'd call her back today (didn't).

Abbey, the one thing she dislikes the most is selling and the competition that goes with it! Otherwise, she did come across a fuller brush ad looking for door to door salespeople and when I told her the fuller brush story she almost jumped out of the car! haha.

Today, she and monkeyboy worked like my own personaly little bees in the yard. I paid them handsomely and fed them lunch...so, at least monkeyboy has money to buy her a soup at Panera, right? I can't tell you how shocked I was that he even showed up, but he was a good worker all day, didn't complain once! difficult child of course had to pee an abnormal amount of times and kept taking bathroom breaks...hmmmm, I wonder why? Could it be she is afraid of actual hard labor? Tough noogies - I even went in once to check if she fell in.

Well, I am beat. I have to vacuum now. Thanks for all the well wishes. Something's gotta give soon!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
As others have said, I expect the time of year isn't helping her search. There are too many young people her age or thereabouts who are also looking.

Fingers crossed that something breaks soon, Jo.

Suz

Abbey

Spork Queen
OMG. I haven't thought about the Fuller Brush man in YEARS!! We had the same one when I was growing up for probably 15 years. I never saw him in a car. He always was on foot with the trademark brief case.

I'd see him 5 houses down and yell to my mom, "MOM! The fuller brush man is coming!!" Sometimes that meant closing the drapes and being very quiet, other times she'd welcome him in and buy something.

Thanks for the memory. :)

Abbey