Judge accused of taking millions of dollars in payoffs to send kids away

crazymama30

Wow. That is horrible. I am glad they caught him and are prosecuting him, but why did no one say anything? How could the lawyers not have known that the kids' rights weren't protected? Ugg

Lothlorien

I want to know who was giving him this money???? They never mentioned that in the article. What was the motive behind giving the judge money?

The sad thing is that yeah, the kids violations are going to be expunged, but what about the kids that were sent to jail and then later ended up committing more crimes, because they were sent to jail for something minor? It's too late to do anything for them.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm assuming it was someone from the detention center who offered the money, which from the looks of it was privately operated. The article said they hadn't been charged, though. I'd bet those charges will come at some point, they're probably building the evidence.

I'd bet many of those kids have all sorts of ongoing issues stemming from their incarceration. Lawsuits will be next I'm sure.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think I read this somewhere else, and they stated that the facilities that were providing the services were giving the judge the kickbacks for sending kids to them.

Makes you sick. I hope they sentence him to the hilt........and maybe , just maybe somewhere where he'll run into a few of the kids he did this to. *ok, so I'm evil* lol

klmno

They're showing this on tv right now on 20/20. Apparently there were 2 judges involved- and they had arranged to have public funding close the regular detention center so the kids would have to go to the private one that was providing kickbacks.

Oh this is good- the judge says that he was only basing his sentencing on what the intake and other legal recommended and that it was decided on before the juvenile even got into court. Others said that the other legal people had to have known something weird was going on, if they weren't in on it themselves. They had some higher up attny on saying this was all backwards- he said that the juvenile judge should NEVER decide the outcome or even read the recommendations of the intake people or anyone else before going to court and hearing all the facts and then the judge should take the other stuff into consideration for sentencing purposes only. Well, if that's true, they could bust the county I live in to He!! and back.

Last edited: