JulieMarshall?

tiredmommy

My thought re: his father is to continue trying to reach him and inform him of the situation. That's your role as custodial parent, but his and Leo's relationship isn't. Let your ex decide if it's appropriate to come here. Be helpful if he does come... suggest a decent hotel and make time for the other kids to see him too. If he isn't able to come, then make sure to give him regular updates.

nvts

Julie! You've done the best thing in the world for him. Of course he's saying everything to you to hurt you...it's his way of making you hurt as much as he has since his friend passed. Don't take it personally, he's striking out at the world, and who better to hit than the person with unconditional love.

My difficult child 1 has been in and out of psychiatric hospital. for the last year - each time you think it's going to make him livable (heck - sometimes even lovable) and you're willing to let it last as long as it lasts so that you can HOPE that he'll come out with a different perspective. My advice - don't rush things along. He's really suffering a huge loss and he needs to work things through. Let him be mad - it's better than being dead. If you keep that in mind, you'll be able to cope with the rotten things he has/will say!

Warm hugs headed your way!

Beth

TerryJ2

and it really helped me not just feel better but also be able to examine my depression better to lift out of it.

I agree with-this, for situational depression as well. The medications give you a sense of distance and lack of sudden reactivity so you can do more self examination and make changes. Given in small doses, they will not change your personality at all, just give you a split second to think b4 you light off, for example.

They do not have to be a permanent fix.

by the way, most of these medications take wks to take effect. Your son needs help NOW.

Fingers crossed.