Just a Vent-getting ready for school

BusynMember

The problem is if he starts acting violent at school. Then sensory processing disorder (SPD) will not cut it and he will end up in an ED/BD classroom and constantly being suspended. The need for that label is important in order to get help in school. You don't want the educators to think of him as a "bad" kid. you also don't want him to get worse.

His sweet side reminds me of a spectrum kid. most are very kind and gentle in their hearts, although about half do act out. medications may be necessary. I'm not a huge medication fan, but sometimes they are needed.

fun fam

If he's having violence issues at school, I will definitely look into medications. I can take him hitting and kicking me, but if he does it to other kids or his teacher, I will have to take further measures to help him. So far I'm hesistant with medications just because there have been NO success stories in our family with medications helping anxiety or autism issues. The medications that I can think of that have been tried in our families are Lexapro, abilify, celexa, Ritalin, Cymbalta, Effexor, klonopin, Xanax, lithium, wellbutrin, Elavil, Seroquel, viibryd...and I know there are more, all administered by qualified psychiatrists. But no one has found relief, only terrible side effects. (tics, sleep issues, weight gain, headaches, etc)

difficult child was supposedly an angel at preschool last year and the teacher actually said I should stop asking how he is doing because he was the "perfect" little boy and she can't imagine him ever having issues. (preschool was very part-time though--3 short afternoons a week) I just checked with his kindy teacher and she replied that he is behaving very well, no issues whatsoever, but he does put his fingers in his ears a lot. (sensory, hates noise). I hope school continues to go well. We'll see!

L

Liahona

There was a time when a melt down was just part of difficult child 2's routine to get resdy for school. We changed his routine and he didn't know when to cry. :) This might not work for every one, but for us at that time it worked. I have also taken difficult child 3 screaming to the bus and put his shoes on right before handing him to the bus aide. difficult child 2 also ate breakfast at school. His teacher saved him a plate. I would also send snacks with him. difficult child 1 eats breakfast at school now.