Just an update on medications

ShakespeareMamaX

Alright, so... I haven't been on here for a while (which is probably a good thing). Everything's been a bit...tamer, I guess. My difficult child went to his dad's for a week and, apparently, had no problems. He starts school on Wednesday, so I can't wait to see how that goes.

Oh! I forgot...yeah, my difficult child got kicked out of summer camp, for good. Heh... Guess it all hasn't been that peachy. They had enough of his stealing, fighting and just plain not listening.

Bah...

He's been put on Wellbutrin, now. It's a low dose (can't remember the MGs right now :p), and it hasn't seem to have kicked in to the fullest, yet. Does anybody know how this could help him? I still haven't gotten him a re-evaluation. The psychiatrist actually told me I would have to get that somewhere else (which I think is ridiculous), so I'm on a journey to find a place. So far, Yale seems to be the only place, but it's over an hour away.

Does anybody who may know CT have any advice or suggestions? I'm in the Cromwell area.

Well...I guess that's it.

Have a good night!

Steely

Not sure how the Wellbutrin could help unless he has depression or anxiety issues. Are those present? Sounds like he is more reckless, and aggressive, in which case the Wellbutrin could possible help - or if he has an underlying mood disorder - it could make things much worse. I would keep a close eye on him, to make sure that with the addition of Wellbutrin his behaviors do not escalate. If they do, I would call psychiatrist, ASAP.

I would think Yale would be worth the drive, given their amazing faculty. I also have heard of The Institute of Living, and they are supposed to be excellent as well. I would check into both.

Good luck with school starting.

ShakespeareMamaX

Thanks for the suggestion of IOL. Never even thought of it. The psychiatrist has suggested difficult child may have anxiety issues. He's also said the my son may have many more issues. Has he looked into figuring out what those issues are? Nope... I think I'll call Yale and IOL tomorrow. I'll see which one has more to offer my difficult child. Cross your fingers. :smile:

Sheila

he psychiatrist has suggested difficult child may have anxiety issues. He's also said the my son may have many more issues. Has he looked into figuring out what those issues are? Nope...

Geez.... On the upside, at least psychiatrist acknowledges the possibility of more issues.

Most of our kids need a team of professionals, hence, I'm a fan of multidisciplinary evaluations.

Sara PA

Wellbutrin has a mild action on norepinephrine. Someone noticed that it seemed to help kids with ADHD. It's probably the reason Strattera, a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor antidepressant, was tried for the treatment of ADHD. Since Strattera was approved you hear less of ADHD kids being prescribed Wellbutrin.

ShakespeareMamaX

That scares me a bit considering Strattera did nothing for him. :p Well, I'm hoping for the best. I suppose that's all I can do besides keep trying to get him an appointment for the evaluation. Thanks for lending your brains. :smile: I appreciate it. <3