Just can't take anymore

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hi I wanted to welcome you also!!! Great advice from everyone...
K my almost 7yo was partially hospitalized last summer for 5 weeks... she "honeymooned" almost the whole time... so the Docs saw nothing... they hleped a bit never saw the true K. It was all behaviour, it was husband and I... we were too overindulgent. As if!!! OK sometimes.
But if you read up on Mood Disorders and lots of other Issues for our kids. They do hold it together. K holds it together at school, she also has a Mensa IQ!!! LOL. Hard to see at times!!!
The Nuero-psychiatric evaluation is worth it's weight in gold!
Keep posting, we are here for you!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
<<<HUGS>>> hold on to the good moments, no matter how few there are. I am not happy with either of my difficult child's right now. And I can relate about difficult child being released from psychiatric hospital worse, because it's just happened to me as well. I have the charts and systems as well, and they're a joke, but it's all the outside help knows to offer, and dare we say they do not work, their whole belief system goes down the drain. I worry about both of my sons futures and therapists look at me funny when I tell them I am afraid my 11 y/o difficult child could grow up and rape someone (he's VERY obsessed about the opposite sex for his age). But better we be realists, lest we be blamed for being naive down the road, right??? Deep breathe, and hold on blessings ianav

Star*

call 911........call 911
BrokenD,

Don't confuse genius with behavior. They're linked but not the same.

And - as far as the "holiday" and doing well at the psychiatric hospital? Yeah -pretty typical. My difficult child when younger would take about a week -two weeks to "figure out" the system. He also could inside 15 minutes figure out what pushed ANYONE'S buttons. But as he grew older and went to different Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s? It took him less and less time to figure out: Who was in charge, WHO could be had, WHO could be manipulated, WHO gave you the most clothes, toys, free time, WHO was the no BS type, and he played all that against each other a lot. VERY annoying to have a bright child with bad behavior - I swear they referred to him as the evil genius so much I figured someone would draw him in a cartoon.

Somewhere in all of it - I figured out that his being bored couldn't be fixed until his behavior was in check. Without good ground work - any building will fall. And if you think that new surroundings do him good for his boredom then figure out a way with the school to have him do shorter lessons, then move, or work on a puzzle quietly. It would be rewarding him for getting his work done - and giving himsoething to occupy his time while the other kids finish their work.

Sounds like you could use some more creativity in his schooling. Have you thought about private schools with a higher level academic program course? Could be worth a shot.

How about him only going 1/2 days - in SPED or self contained classes for a while? Then the other 1/2 they bus him to some other school to keep it interesting?

Just thinking out loud.

cameronellis

Someone sent me this link and I'm so glad to see that I am not alone in this. My 8 year old son has been diagnosed (after years of issues) with ODD, Anxiety Disorder, extreme Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and a Tic Disorder, with more to come. He also has an IQ of 132 and absolutely no conscience. I've fought for him for years and I'm tired of fighting. I'm a single mom who works full-time and feel like I'm going insane trying to juggle everything. He is evil. He bullies the other other children in school, is incredibly bright but refuses to do any work, and is horrendous at home. He just spent a week in the children's psychiatric ward and came home worse than ever. I hate living this way. There is no reason for him to be this way. We live a moderate but comfortable life, he's always been surrounded by love and kindness, yet he chooses to be this mean, petty, vindictive kid. And the docs said it IS a choice. So, why should I try??? I've reached the point where I don't even want him anymore.

You could be me. I feel everything that you are saying. I am almost certain that I am going to lose my mind. I have seriously considered suicide just to put an end to it. The only thing that gives me the strength to go on is my younger son. He is 6 years old and I could never leave him. My other son is 14 and this has been going on for so many years that I don't even remember what a normal life is like.

The frustration level is unbelievable. He has everything in the world going for him. He is good looking. Athletic. Funny and charming when he wants to be. His IQ is off of the charts. Until he decided that he wasn't going to do anymore school work, he was straight "A"s all though school. Last school year, he got 3 "F"s and was ineligible to play football this year because of it. Because he loves football so much, he decided to start doing his work again to make sure that he gets the grades to be eligible. Out of all of the trouble I have had out of him this year, his grades have remained stellar. Even though he has been suspended so many times that he is out of school more often that he is in it.

He gets in so much trouble for losing his temper, defying authority and arguing with adults. He has told me that he thinks he has an anger management problem and can't control himself. He has ADHD and generally refuses to take his medicine which would help him control himself.

Going to counseling is of no value. Since he either shuts down and won't talk or manipulates the provider by teling them what they want to hear and then laughing about it later.

The last therapist I took him to sent him out of the room and advised me to file an unruly petition against him.

He is going to high school next year and the high school coach has been keeping track of him. He had a long talk with him and told him that if he ends this school year in a poor discplinary status, even if he is straight "A"s , he won't be eligile to play. Guess who suddenly learned to control his temper at school?

At home is another matter. He is basically holding me and his little brother hostage to his will. He is big for his age and very strong. Almost 200 pounds. Much bigger than I am. He has simply decided that he will do whatever he wants to do and will do nothing that he doesn't want to. He has no respect for any adults, anyone's property or rights. All he cares about and all he thinks about is getting his own way. And he will do that at any cost.

I do not want him in my room, but he just picks the lock and goes in anyway, goes through my things, lounges in my bed watching TV. Whatever he wants, and when I come home and find that he has been in there, he just lies and starts yeling at me fror accusing him.

In fact any request, no matter how reasonable is met with yelling and a refusal to do it. I am just so tired of constantly fighting with him about every single thing.

If I tell him, he can't go somewhere, he just goes anyway. Adn when I punish him for disobeying me, he punishes me for punishing him.

By that I mean that he breaks things, burns things, hits his little brother. Anything he can think of to make me pay for punishing him. He has punched three holes in my wall because I took his TV away to punish him for something he did.

He has broken almost all of the family pictures I had on display. And I have removed all of the glass knickknacks because whenever he gets angry he breaks them.

He kicked my bedroom door in and broke it clean off the hinges because he was mad that I would not give him back his phone.

In addition, he does annoying things to try to make me let him do what he wants to do like throwing grapes at the wall making stains all over the paint, breaking all of the lightbulbs in the house, hiding things of mine. Urinating all over the toilet seat. Or just making so much racket that no one else in the house can get any peace if he doesn't get his way.

I dread coming home. I hate coming come. It is so unfair to my younger son. My older son and his antics take up so much of my time and energy. And when I am home, I am alternately depressed or angry. I am always irritable.

As I write this, he is out with his friends. I was supposed to go to New Orleans this weekend with my fiance, and my kids to go with my ex. My son flat out refused to go. He told me he has plans. My ex was furious and tried to get him to go. But he just refused. He said there was no way he was getting into the car with me to go.

I know him and I know he meant it. There is no way I can physically get him into the car and his father won't come out here and get him or come out here and stay with him. And there is no way I can leave him alone. So I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. And I am at home while he is out.

When I came home from work, he was gone. He called me and told me he was hanging out with friends and he would be home by 10:00. Just like the way he behaved was OK. he defied me and his father. Disrespected us both. Caused my fiance to lose money on the tickets he bought for the jazz festival. But since he got his way, everything is fine. He will come home in a great mood and when I light into him, he will start yeling at me like I am the one who is wrong.

Of course I took the modem so he can't use the phone or the internet. So when he gets home there will a major tantrum and no one will get any peace tonight.

I don't know how much longer I can live lile this. I have no support. His father will not step in. He will not take him. He will not help. He doesn't want the responsibility. And as furious as that makes me, I can understand. If I didn't have to deal with this **** every day, I wouldn't either.

I worry about him so much that at times I am literally sick with worry. If he could just get his act together, he could have such a great life. He is so intelligent that it takes my breath way at time. From infancy, everything he did, he did early and well. Learnings is effortless. He can talk more intelligently about politics and religion than most adults I know. He is a fabulous athlete. I am not well off by any means, but I have adequate resources to help him get through college and start out on his life. But the way he is behaving, he won't get there. When I say that to him, he just says of course he is going to college and I am just being negative.

There is no pain in the world like seeing someone you love that much willfully destroying his life. Watching what he is doing to himself is even worse than the reign of terror he is waging in our home.

I just keep feeling like there is something wrong that I am missing. Something that I could fix if I knew what it was. I know he is very spoiled and that is my fault. But that is not it. I also feel that he has no conscience. There is something missing in him. He only seems to care about himself. That is when I worry that I am raising a sociopath.

But every now and then, there will be a flicker of something in his eyes that will seem more empathetic. And I will see something in him other than the selfish disregard for everyone else that I usually see. Then I will have hope that there is goodness in him if I can just get it out.

I'm falling apart though. I am on so much anti depresant, anti anxiety medication that I feel embarassed picking up the prescriptions. None of Occupational Therapist (OT) helps. I don't sleep. I can't concentrate. I'm crying or screaming all of the time. I am a nervous wreck.

BusynMember

I don't think IQ has anything to do with his behavior. I could be wrong. However, we have a history of giftedness in our family and most of the gifted folks not only loved school but excelled. Child psychiatric/neurological disorders hit both the very bright or the avearge/below average. Their difficulties make life hard for them and their loved ones, in spite of their academic abilities. Most of us have heard of Aspergers adults who are brilliant but can't strike up a conversation with anybody because they don't understand people.
I have a mood disorder and have been in the hospital three times. I felt very safe there. Every moment was structured for me and I was just a step away from help if I felt myself falling. This was all as a young adult. I understand why kids tend to maintain well in the hospital and maybe even like it there. It is a scarier, harder world when you have to find your own way to structure your time. Some people/kids just can not do it and don't do it well. Unstructured time can give nervous/anxious kids and adults too much time to think about their fears. They may cause chaos just to get their minds off scary thoughts.
Even the brightest kids sometimes need an IEP and Special Supports. It really doesn't have anything to do with IQ--it has to do with the ability to function in life. Without learning simple life skills, sometimes by text book teaching, certain kids NEVER learn how to understand life. They are wired differently. It's not lack of intelligence. It's lack of understanding, often inborn. I'm so happy your child is getting a neuropsychologist exam. Let us know how it goes!

tryinghard

Cameronellis,

Welcome to the board. I am so sorry that you had to find us and that you and your sons are going through what you have described.

I am not as experienced as others on this board who I am sure willl give you some good advice. I can tell you that you are no longer alone. You have found a group of parents who understand because we have experienced the same things.

Please continue to post and read. I have learned so much and gained so much peace from posting and reading this board.

The one thing I have seen others post here is that if things get violent you should call the police. I know others can explain how that will help you and your son. You and your younger son should always be safe.

It is nothing you have done...I learned that reading this board. I use to have so much guilt I could BARELY function. Now I read posting after posting with the SAME problems and realize my son is sick. I am doing the best I can to help him but it is not easy.

I understand what you mean that ending it all seems like the best option. There are times it seems to hard to bear. But, as you pointed out, it is not a solution. PEOPLE love you and need you. Dealing with these children drive a lot of us to the edge....we are only human!

Have you read the book Explosive Child by Ross Greene? I just ordered it, but many on this board have said it really help them dealing with explosive personalities.

What type of medicine was your son perscribed?

I am sending you warm wishes and a cyber hug...you are no longer alone.

cameronellis

Hi Trying Hard,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have been back on the website but could not find the thread!

As far as medication, he has been prescribed many things over the years, but since he has been a teenager, he will no longer take any of it. And if you don't take it, it can't help.

I have another appointment for a psychiatric evaluation in July. I requested it in February, but that is how long it will take to be seen.

Things are getting so much worse that I may not be able to make it until July.

I got home today to find a note on my door saying my lease will not be renewed. I was warned before because my son won't follow the rules of the community. I stressed to him the importance of not getting into any trouble, but instead of acting better, he just brought his friends over here to hang out as well.

So now, when my lease is up in June, I have to move. And I am worried that now I'll have a problem finding a nice place to live. I don't want to live in some dump and I think I may now have trouble getting another nice place with all of his antics on my record. And especially when they finally get in here and see the broken down door. I've never been late. I've never bounced a check. I have a good job, making good money, but now I may end up homeless!

I thought of just going ahead and buying another house. But I can't get it done that fast, don't want to stay in this state and wanted to rent until I moved back to where I want to settle permanently.

Just another thing to stress about.

tryinghard

Cameronellis,

I am so so so sorry. My heart just aches for you. I hope you will find some peace soon. I wish I had some advise for you but I can only give you some support....

Please continue posting....I have been given a lot of support and advise.

I hope it turns the corner for you and gets better...

brokendown

brokendown
Cameronellis,

I am so sorry to hear about all that is happening to you and I fear that I will be in your shoes in a few years. I don't know what to tell you. I feel like you truly understand what I'm going through (as do so many others on this site!). My difficult child is honeymooning again at school. He was shadowed by main doctor yesterday and, of course, behaved like a model child. So, in two weeks we'll go back and the doctor will tell me that the points appear to be working marvelously. No, they're not. difficult child is behaving because he CAN if he wants to and this is all a game to him. He's also trying hard to manipulate me at home, but I'm onto him now and tell him so. (An example: He'll give me a hug and tell me he loves me - which he very rarely does - then wait a few minutes to ask for some ice cream. Ha!) When I call him on it, he just stares at me blankly. Scary.

I know there are others here who will disagree with me, but I'm going to speak my mind. If I were in your position (and I may be one day), I'd get him removed from my home. My difficult child doesn't quite outweigh me yet, but I'm resolved to call the authorities the first time he causes me physical harm. You have another child to consider and I'd be worried that your difficult child will hurt him as the ultimate vengeance on YOU. I'm sorry if that adds to your burden, but how long can you allow a child like this to ruin your life? At what point do you say "enough"???

I don't know if that's useful or not, but please do know that there are others out there dealing with the same issues. It really is true - YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

cameronellis

Brokendown,

I hope you are not where I am in a few years. Maybe you can find a way to stop things, because your son sounds an awful lot like mine as far as the manipulation and spiteful behavior.

I try to sit down with him and talk to him and get him to tell me what is bothering him and he will appear to open up and get emotional and just when I am suckered in... he'll ask for something. And when I refuse I am accused of not loving him or caring about him.

It is like we are all puppets and he enjoys pulling our strings to get his way. Or just for fun.

And if I upset him he will always do something to get me back. He can't seem to be understand that he should be punished for breaking rules, but he does feel that I should be punished for punishing him for breaking rules. Go figure. And his favorite way to hurt me is through his brother. My younger son sleeps in my room a lot since my older son and I are almost always arguing at night and to get at me, he will just keep picking on my younger son so he can't go to sleep. So I take him into my room so he can sleep.

I have thought seriously about having him removed from the house. But that is such a drastic step. I don't want to put him in a bad situation and I just keep hoping that I can fix this so he can go on to have the life he should have. But at what cost to my sanity and my other child's happiness?

I feel like I can't give up. There must be something I'm not doing. Something I'm not thinking of. Something that will make him understand where all of this is headed, but without ruining his life.

What is so hard about all of this is that when he wants to be he is a great kid. We have long talks about all sorts of things. He is very funny and tells jokes and funny stories. He proudly brings home his test scores and we rejoice. He is a great athlete and I feel so proud watching him on the field. And all of the other parents come up and compliment me. And at those times I feel like I can do it. I forget how bad it is when it is bad and wonder what I was so upset about. I tell myself that all teenagers are difficult and this will pass and I am overdramatizing the situation.

Then he will have a bad day. He'll yell at me, hit his little brother, break things, run out when I have no idea where he is. Blast the TV, stay on the phone all night and just yell at me when I tell him to get off. Tell me he hates me. I'm a rotten mother. And just do any little thing he can think of to upset me and his brother. Then when he calms down he expects me to act like nothing happened and when I am still upset then he accuses me of not loving him and always being mean. Manipulation surely, but it makes me wonder if he has a conscience and realizes that you can't just mistreat people and when you feel better expect them to forget.

His moods rule our home. If he has a good day. We have a good day. If he has a bad day, we have a terrible day.

brokendown

brokendown
I can so relate to that last sentence. Really. It's like they know how to set the tone for the whole house. And there are those moments when I think "he's just a child" but, unfortunately, you can SEE that look in his eye when he knows exactly what he's doing to push your buttons. From the day he was born, I would say that he was an "old soul". I hate to think of him as a sociopath, but I'm afraid he just may be.

As far as some practical advice goes, has your son ever had a neuropsychologist test? Mine is scheduled for an all day one on May 30th and I'm really curious about the results. I'm hoping they can tell me if he's really pathological. Sounds like yours could use one, as well.