Just Curious :)

AmyH

difficult child is real into expressing himself right now. As i'm sure most "pre-teens" are. Last summer he wanted his hair highlighted so we let him. It looked really cool. Then during the winter he wanted it black so we compromised with mid-dark brown. Like his brother and step-dad. Well, we went to get a hair cut the other day and when talking to the stylist he got it in his head that he wants fire hair. That is when the roots start out really bleached blonde and the tips end up fire red. with a progression of orange and red throughout.

My philosophy has always been it is only hair and it will grow back or can all be cut off. We already let him go for the hair in the eyes skater cut. Now he wants "FIRE". I can just see the youth pastor at church now. Although we go to a very liberal church. Band, tattoo's, every one is unique. But still I wonder is it really that big of deal.

So, What would you guys do? If he gets to it has to be after school is out.

'Chelle

I've always thought it's only hair it will change/grow back. Though recently I did vent a little with my dislike of my difficult child's recent hair style of this :hairy: (and I'm not kidding, though I can usually see one eye) He says he's not cutting it all through high school. We'll see if he does or not LOL.

If it's after school and he is still adamant then that he wants it, I'd probably say let him. This too shall pass. :tongue:

janebrain

I'd probably let him do it too. I think on stuff like that if you don't have a problem with it then it's okay. It might be a big deal to other people but if it isn't to you then don't worry about it. I'm not sure if this is what you are worrying about, maybe I am not answering your real question!
Jane

AmyH

I just know with these kids they have so many obsticals to face any way sometimes it is good to let them do things you may not normally let them do. But on the other hand such a drastic thing can cause more comments from others. Personally it is a little much for me but I am really considering it just because he is really wanting to express himself and he is happy with that. And if I can get a smile from him then it is worth just about anything. I was just wondering if other parents feel the same or is this way off?

meowbunny

For all I care, my daughter could have have rainbow hair if that had made her happy. She was and is very conservative, so I never really had to face different colors. I did, however, get the face some interesting haircuts in her younger years. One of her chosen styles did get her teased (a mohawk in 1st grade). After that, if I felt the style was too extreme, we compromised with something in the middle so that if there was teasing, the style could be made more conventional.

My only hesitation in hair coloring is how long would he have to wait to get it back to another color if he decided it was too much. Of course, being a boy, could always get a buzz cut if necessary.

So, if his school doesn't have issues with hair coloring, let him go for it. Even a small smile for a short time can be a special thing. He'll remember that you let him be an individual and be happy. That counts for far more than the surprised looks of friends and strangers.

KTMom91

Miss KT would have blonde hair with aqua highlights if our district didn't have a dress code. I don't care about the hair color or style, it'll grow back or she'll decide she wants something else.

LittleDudesMom

I agree. If the school is ok with it, let him go for it. But I would suggest he should be contributing to the cost of this extreme hair color. If he wants something like that, he is old enough to earn it. I'm big on the kids contributing to the extras to teach the value of what they have/what they want.

Sharon