just cut my nose off

Sue C

I went to my dermatologist for my 3-month mole check today. Now she said there were pre-cancerous cells on my nose in a different area than where the basal cell skin cancer was which was recently surgically removed. So, she "froze" the area off.

I felt like crying as I left the office. Not because of the strong stinging but because I am afraid this is going to happen over and over. I was told there is a 55% chance of recurring basal cell skin cancer once you've had it. I got home and told husband the dr should just cut my nose off so this won't keep happening. (yikes---I can't imagine what THAT would look like!)

OK, enough whining.
sue

witzend

I'm sorry, Sue. Big hugs! This must be very scary! Thank goodness that you are taking care of yourself with regular check-ups!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sue

I'm praying hard it doesn't come back anymore.

As for :

I got home and told husband the dr should just cut my nose off so this won't keep happening. (yikes---I can't imagine what THAT would look like!)

If, God forbid, it would come to that they have some amazing prosthetics out there and no one would ever guess. I know cuz I've had a few patients with them.

But you won't need it. Cuz we're all sending our positive vibes in your direction.

((((hugs))))

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I remember reading about some guy whose nose was destroyed by frostbite.....they put a toe on where his nose was.....and believe it or not it didn't look too bad......this is not fun to deal with, but the alternative is worse....we still need your advice and comments so just get those cancer cells peeled off and we are glad you are here to post........thinking of you and saying prayers that those nasty cancer cells give up and don't ever come back......

Sue C

Thanks, everyone. I forgot to mention that the dermatologist pointed out a spot on my cheek and said she wasn't sure if it was the start of another basal cell cancer or a blemish. I thought huh?? You are a dermatologist and can't tell the difference between cancer and a zit??!! It's something we have to watch.

sue

DammitJanet

Sue....I have no idea if you want to hear this or not...but here it goes. My dad started off with what it sounds like you have done. He had his first basal cell carcinoma removed quite a few years ago and that healed up nicely. Over the years he was checked out and had a few more spots removed on his nose and forehead. Then two years ago he noticed another spot that looked very suspicious in the crease where the nose meets the cheek. This one was more serious. Melanoma. They had to cut deeper into the cheek tissue and nose tissue. They got it all and he is fine physically. Plastic surgery has done wonders as far as what he looks like now. It was pretty bad there for a bit. For awhile it looked like he had a little penis attached to his nose!

We really cant figure out why my dad is the one who ended up with all this skin cancer except that he is the blue eyed fair skinned type. But the man spent most of his life sitting inside an office building and rarely spent time outside. The only time he spent long times outside was in WWII on a ship at sea. Maybe its from then. Who knows.

If yours ends up being the worst case scenario, at least they can do things these days. You are much younger than my father and he came through it with flying colors.

ScentofCedar

Sending hugs and strength, Sue.

It must be so scary to be going through this. You are doing everything you need to do. That takes alot of courage.

Know we are all pulling for you.

Thoughts and prayers going up.

Barbara

house of cards

I"ve had a Melanoma removed from the back of my neck, and I need to watch for any reaccurances. It is another shadow following along in my life...and I have too many shadows. Keep up with your check ups.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{sue}}} Sending many hugs. I'm sure this is one of those things you'd like to treat and forget about. It's good that you're taking care of yourself and getting regular checkups. I know quite a few people who have gone through bouts with melanoma.

Janet, skin cancer/melanomas are not directly related to sun exposure. There are many factors that play a part in who gets it and why - most of which are genetic, going back generationally in some families.

Sue C

Janet -- Well, that was very scary to read about your dad. It is good to know that Melanoma is not a death sentence. I thought it was!! My dermatologist had said to me, "You are fortunate it is not Melanoma. That can spread to your organs." And I know I've heard it can lead to death. It's also good to hear that plastic surgery can do wonders. I, too, am blue-eyed and fair skinned. I do not tan. I usually burn first and then tan. I do not go out in the sun. I have never laid in the sun. I was a big water skier when I was a teen and young adult, though, and my nose would get burned going out on the boat. The dermatologist told me you get skin cancer from if you were sunburned when you were young. I played outside when I was a kid, and I suppose we didn't use suntan lotion back then. My family didn't have a lot of money; I can't imagine my mom would have bought it.

Kathie -- What were you told about your Melanoma? Were you told it could spread to your organs? Or were you told that because they got it all that you do not have to worry? Melanoma scares me.

Jo -- How are the people you know you had Melanoma? Are they OK? Also, my dermatologist did not say anything about skin cancer being genetic. She said it was from being sunburned when I was a kid/young.

sue

DammitJanet

Well my dad is 82 and kicking so things are going ok...lol. I only hope to be in half as good shape as he is when Im his age. I seriously doubt I make it that far.

I hadnt heard that skin cancer was genetic either...lovely. Another thing to worry about. I was already worrying about it since I was another blue eyes, blond haired fair skinned person but I had only had a few sunburns in my life. Though I guess one is one too many. Now if its genetic...well...I got the MI genes and alzheimer genes running down my moms side and now the skin cancer gene down my dads! Ok...Im not getting genetic testing...lol.

janebrain

Hi Sue,
my mom had melanoma a few years back and she is doing fine. She sees a dermatologist regularly (has had many, many moles removed) and the melanoma was caught early. She did have to do chemo and radiation I think but the cancer had not spread. I have had several "questionable" moles removed, see my dermatologist regularly since melanoma can be hereditary. I do have a cousin who died from melanoma--if it is not diagnosed early it can spread to your organs. I am glad I have a dr. keeping an eye on my moles!
Jane

DDD

What an uncanny timely post. Just yesterday a friend called me and shared that she was going to miss a meeting next week because she
has been diagnosed with melanoma on the underside of her nose. She
"had it checked two years ago" by a different MD who did a biopsy and
told her it was not a problem. The new Doctor says he can not imagine
how that could have happened. Because she waited two years for a recheck she evidently will be facing surgery, treatment and a questionable future.

Thank heavens you have been so diligent with your checks. I can only
imagine how scarey it must be for you, Sue, but you're making sure that
quick care is available. Sending supportive thoughts your way. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet -- Jo -- How are the people you know you had Melanoma? Are they OK? Also, my dermatologist did not say anything about skin cancer being genetic. She said it was from being sunburned when I was a kid/young.

Yes, both of them are fine. The woman I know was told hers was related more to the fact that she was fair skinned and a sun worshipper as a teen. She is pale with lots of freckles and red hair. She had some scraped from her nose *I think*three times and later something from her back. She's doing fine, it never spread. And her first surgery was about 17 years ago.

The man I know is a 2nd grade teacher here in town and the brother in law of one of my best friends. He first had something removed from his nose and shoulder about 8 years ago. There was a danger that it had spread at some point, under several layers of his skin. But it was biopsied and parts of it were removed and he is doing well. At one point, he had to have treatments, however I am not sure what they were. Those only lasted 60 days and after that he had the surgery to remove some layers of his skin on his arm. BUt since since then he's been doing really great. That was about 4 years ago. His DR said that his was related moreso to his genetics since apparently other family members had varying degrees of skin cancers.

Sue, I have spoken with my DR many times about it because I've always been worried about my own exposure to the sun. I am olive skinned and always turned real dark in the summers as a child. My sisters and I used to slather on baby oil and lie on an aluminum screen to get as much sun as possible! As I got older, I began to burn first, then tan. I never used sunscreen and started to a few years ago when I noticed that I burned faster and it lasted longer than it ever had before.

Then I read an article in a natural health magazine that said the sunscreens are worse for you than the sun. I don't use sunscreens when hanging around my yard, working in the garden, or lying out by the pool. My Dr said it was unnecessary. However, she strongly urged me to use sunscreen when I'm at the beach or in it's rays for long periods of time like when at an outdoor fair, on a boat, etc. She also agreed that sun is better for us than sunscreens, but that many people with fair to moderate skin tones need to be especially careful. And finally she said that there are no definitive determining factors as to why some people get it and other don't. She used my parents as her example: My dad was always working in the sun without his shirt on, he and my mom spent all summers outdoors in the direct sunlight, then they moved to Phoenix Arizona to retire and spent nearly every single day out in the sun. Neither of them ever developed skin cancer. My mom is real fair and my dad is real olive toned.

Regardless of the reasons behind it, there are some very innovative treatments out there and it's great that you caught it early. Sending more prayers your way for a full and speedy recovery.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sue...sending many hugs. I should be a prime candidate for skin cancer, but have somehow slipped under the radar so far. (fingers crossed)

I hope you are fine and you get the great care you need.

Abbey

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
((((Hugs))) to you my friend!! Sorry for your pain, and just have to send along a little sense of humor: Just don't spite your face!! (get it? 'cut off your nose to spite your face....) Trying for a smile, Hugs again!!

Peace

Estherfromjerusalem

Sue,

I am sorry you are going through this worrying time, but it does sound as if your doctor is really looking after you well.

I hope you recover soon. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing, and I hope you have a long and healthy life!

Sending you a hug.

Love, Esther