just diagnosed with leukemia

DammitJanet

I would think a whole lot of how your life is impacted will be be because of how the hospital is set up. Are they a nice place with stuff for you to do all day when you arent getting treatments? Can you have your laptop with you? Do they have Occupational Therapist (OT) type stuff like art therapy or rec therapy to keep you busy?

I would also ask the hospital if they have programs for the kids. I would imagine some do. That just seems logical to me or if not there, maybe there is something in the community for kids of parents with cancer. That is something that happens.

cubsgirl

I'm sorry to hear this news but your attitude towards and spirit is AWESOME. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm sorry you are having to face this now. You do have a wonderful attitude and that will surely assist your healing. Sending you prayers for a comfortable healing and peace for your family.

pepperidge

Hi janet,

Yeah, the hospital is great I have a room with a magnificent view, my laptop which hooks into the medical research, they have a treadmill which they encourage people to use, I have lots of free time, mostly right now I am trying to hand off the various pieces of my life via email to friends who want to do something, there is place in the room for my husband to sleep when he visits. I have my knitting, hospital life is not bad at least right now. this round of chemo is a relatively easy one. It could be worse certainly!

You guys are great. I so appreciate all the board juju coming my way

Ktllc

I will add you to my prayers. Sending lots of good healing energ your way. Your positive attitude will smack that disease like a bug.

Estherfromjerusalem

My thoughts are with you. I hope the treatment does the trick. Please keep us informed about your progress.
Juju coming your way, as much as I can.
Love, Esther

Calamity Jane

Pepperidge,
When my Dad was going through IV chemo, my best friend told me to tell him to picture it as "Chicken Soup" for his lymphoma. Sounds goofy, but you do have to visualize the medicine working the way it must to get you better. I will keep you in my prayers, and hope you have a quick and successful treatment. I pray also that your difficult children step up and help husband out...take all the help and assistance that your neighbors, etc. wish to offer...it's such a blessing. Good luck with everything, stay strong.

TerryJ2

WHAT???!
I was NOT expecting that.
But then, neither were you.
You sound like you're taking it really well. I know what you mean about the calm and downtime in the hospital. It was so quiet and cool and empty in the dr's office I was in last week, I didn't really care if anyone "fixed" or "cured" me. I was just happy to be there.
What does that say about our lives?
I am sending MAJOR JUJU!!!!! And I will keep sending it!
:Grouphug::getwell::grouphug:
:starplucker:

N

Nomad

I'm so sorry. You seem to be handling it well (especially given all the circumstances). I have a working relationship with a person who relatively recently finished tx for leukemia. I've known her for perhaps nine months. When I first met her, she had just finished everything. She is doing well. She did gentle exercise, lots of meditation and yoga during this time. She worked, but cut back her hours from 5 days a week to 3 or 4 (I think). She continues to do all of these things. I believe she currently works four days a week and to the best of my knowledge plans on keeping it at four permanently. She also is a big believer in doing deep breathing exercises. She was ever so slightly heavy and joined Weight Watchers to get the extra weight off...I suspect she limits her intake of sweets...She looks really, really good and is happy , doing VERY WELL. She sees a therapist and is doing her best to avoid stress and when that is simply not possibly, react in healthy ways to stress. She has many excellent friends and an excellent significant other. I'm thrilled to hear that you also have great friends and a great spouse. Hold on to them tightly and as appropriate, let go of difficult child business.....all is looking good! Sending healing thoughts!!!!

Nancy

I'm praying for you. You can and will beat this. I was just thinking how nice it was that cellphones and laptops can now be used in hospitals so we can stay in touch and pass the time easier. You have many angels on your shoulder here watching over you....and the docs. Feel free to vent or whine or celebrate good days and we will encourage you along.

This is beatable.

Nancy

exhausted

A giant hug to you and wishing you God's speed in recovery. Your attitude is very wonderful. This must be very difficult and yet your strength is shining through. Please put yourself first and take care. Keep us posted.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Pepperidge, I simply cannot imagine your shock and I'm so terribly sorry. I am just shaking my head in disbelief and imagine that you must be doing the same. You are in my prayers and hopes for wise doctors and recovery.

Hugs,
Suz

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
WOW, hon, I totally missed this post till now.

Your positive attitude is going to help, and though it's a horrible thing to find out, it is so treatable... Not that the treatments are any kind of fun at all, of course. And what an awful slap!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers... And the difficult children too, and your husband. :hugs:

Lothlorien

I missed this post too. I've been just scanning through, because of time constraints. I'm sorry.

I'm so sorry about this. Did they catch it early? Do they know what type it is? Have you spoken to an oncologist about the treatments yet?

You are a survivor. You will get through this.

Pepperidge,

I can't imagine how shocking it must have been to find out that you have leukemia. I love your positive attitude, strength and sense of humor. I really believe all of these things are going to help you beat this.

Keeping you in my daily prayers... Many hugs, SFR