Just for Fun - WORST Holiday Gift Thread

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Last year... While opening stockings... husband realized there was nothing in mine. (He learned his lesson, LOL!)

Well, he'd gotten the family a new fridge - a side by side. So he filled up my stocking with ice cubes from the icemaker. (I gave him credit for trying... And later told him that in future years, a ROCK from the YARD would be better, and it better be there BEFORE we started on the stockings...)

This year? Not a lot of stuff in it, but some. And he did ask - "I don't know what to get for your stocking, help!"

...Mini hand lotion, soap, cashews, M&Ms... And he took what I asked for and did his best. (Though the moisturizing gel wasn't body wash like he thought... I like it anyway!)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Last year... While opening stockings... husband realized there was nothing in mine. (He learned his lesson, LOL!) This year? Not a lot of stuff in it, but some. And he did ask - "I don't know what to get for your stocking, help!"...Mini hand lotion, soap, cashews, M&Ms... And he took what I asked for and did his best. (Though the moisturizing gel wasn't body wash like he thought... I like it anyway!)

I fill my own stocking. This year, easy child put some things in it and was mad at me because I didn't even bother to check it! Lol. H usually puts some GC in there for daughter - this year it was an iTunes GC, cool.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
More and more I'm finding gift exchanges with the in-laws to be an exercise in the ridiculous. I swear, one of these years husband and I are going to take the kids and go out of town for Christmas!

I can't count how many times I've said that! The best course of action? Feign illness....the flu or worse, vomiting and dysentery! No one wants to risk that! Lol

susiestar

Roll With It
I didn't get a "worst" gift thsi year because I do not accept things from my brother - and my mom finally figured out around J's birthday in July that I do this because it hurts my kids NOT because it hurts me. Took her over a year to stop tantrumming and open her eyes to how many times he causes problems for my kdis. So that was an AWESOME gift.

Gfgbro has NEVER, not even ONE time got a gift that resembles something that one of us MIGHT use. I get broken parts in a box (usually to something else), clothes made out of fabric that I can't bear to touch with-o wanting to cringe (the only one with more touch sensitivity in the family than me is gfgbro - and he HATES the texture of EVERY item he gives me, always alwasy has).

He also gives my kids stuff that is so so far from anything they would be interested in (while claiming to be very close to them and that they confide in him - boy you should see the confusion on their faces wehn he brags about how they confide in him) and they try SO HARD to be polite and gracious about receiving them.

This year was a TOTAL relief. NO fussing from my mom about how it isn't mas if we are notall together, no fussing about how we are not "understanding" that gfgbro doesn't have $$ toget something we like (a hershey bar is too expensive?) and no gifts that we look at each other with that WTH???? look while trying to be polite.

My mother WAS peeved at my uncle. He sends a check each year. To be divided up x amt to each of us. He sends no cards. Expects Mom to cash the check, get NEW bills (he has the nerve to call and check - she lies because it is a hassle) and buy money holder cards to ptu them in (the cost of the $ holders is NOT included n the check!) My mom USED to pick out gifts for him, his new wife, his daughter, grands, etc.... Now? She sends a check. This year she sent $ holder cards with everyone's name on them, hoping he would get the hint. Nope. So she is done iwth that too.

This year I put the $ n the cards. Mom was so grumpy until I separated the 20's and 5's and did "one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me" with the 20's going to me (it was ONLY a joke I woudl NEVER actually do it). Then I had them in the envelopes properly, double checked them, and then put names on them. "Mine." "Mine" "Mine"

The look on her face was priceless. I only ACTUALLY wrote "MINE' on the one for me - and I put my name on it too. But just the thought had her laughing, which is what was needed. She has been very hurt by this because in past years she put SO MUCH thought into gifts,and felt it was a slap in teh face because he did NOTHING except call 5-4 times to be sure the check arrived and his curent wife, who generally we love, brags a TON about how thoughtful he is picking out gifts for her kids and her siblings, etc.... but he doesn't even write individual checks to us, well, it bugs my mom.

So it was great to see her laugh about all of this!

Steely

More and more I'm finding gift exchanges with the in-laws to be an exercise in the ridiculous. I swear, one of these years husband and I are going to take the kids and go out of town for Christmas!

That is the route I am going. Gift exchanges like that are just an exercise in futility.

flutterby

Fly away!
All of this talk of stockings - I haven't had a stocking filled since I was a kid, though I do hang one up for me every year. Just because difficult child wants me to have one up.

cubsgirl

My mother in law re-gifted a picture frame and gave it to us. I wouldn't have minded except .... it was the same picture frame we gave her for her birthday. :rofl:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My mother in law re-gifted a picture frame and gave it to us. I wouldn't have minded except .... it was the same picture frame we gave her for her birthday. :rofl:

That reminds me of a few years back... Very lean year... So for Christmas I made collages of pictures of us and the kids, put them on a background of maps (cool wrapping paper!), and gave them to my parents, mother in law, and father in law.

father in law's is in a pile of stuff somewhere. Mom & Dad have theirs with pride of place in their hall - you can see it from the kitchen!!! And mother in law... Well, the map didn't match her decor, so she gave it back to me to redo.

Needless to say, it never got done... I still have it. I was incensed. I put time and thought into it. OK, so that was a gift I gave, but...