Just got a call from my dad... :(

Tiapet

Old Hand
Abbey let me share my moving story, this move here to NC. Maybe something in it will help you in some way I hope in the decision you now have to make. I just want you to know I understand the dilemma you face.

When I moved down here it was was back in August 2006 we started scouting places to stay (weren't real packed up yet either but SO had a job prospect on the line). We had just been here all of 4 days and I get a panicked call from my mother at 11pm at night. My father had bad pains in his stomach. He had made her stop at a local Md'Ds to use their facilities thinking that was the problem. He came back out and told her to drive and he curled up on the back seat as she continued to drive home (it was about another 8 miles). They get home and the pain was increasing. He again use the bathroom but by then was came out and curled up on their bed sweating profusely yet was chilled to the bone and in severe pain but wouldn't go to the hospital (no insurance). She (as usual) just couldn't get him to budge and figured calling me for advise somehow would work. It did! I told her in no uncertain terms to call 911 and get him to the hospital NOW!

She did exactly that. I knew in my heart something was very seriously wrong and it was. In the mean time SO, difficult child#1 and I started cram packing up our belongings in hotel and signed out. It was about midnight and I drove home knowing that by the time I got home I would no longer have a father, instinctively in my gut. I got another call back from my mother about 1a relaying that they were checking out my father and they have found and aortic anyeursm and were going to proceede with surgery. They did so and I would continue to get phone calls in the neck several hours through out the early morning hours as I drove regarding his condition. They would always tell me kind of neutral information (but I knew better - especially with my gut and with the diagnosis). It was a 10-12 hour drive I faced to get back to PA from NC.

I finally arrived back in PA to where they were and was told to go to a friend of the families house as that is where my mother was. She came out along with the husband of the friend (who was since deceased as well). She couldn't hold it any longer and told me my father had passed. In fact he has actually passed about 4AM. They couldn't control the bleeding and his heart had stopped several times and they attempted to restart it a final time and couldn't. *I was really angry that they lied to me for hours about his passing but they just didn't want me driving knowing this information, which I actually knew already in my heart*

Now I was faced with this fact of my father's death and SO needing to be moved in and settled by 9-11 (his death was 8-22). How the heck was I going to go back to NC and find a house to move into, get the difficult child's enrolled into school, finish packing (let alone literally move) yet be there for my mother who absolutely was and did loose her mind over my father's death? (they had JUST redid their 40th wedding anniversary vows 2 weeks before his death no less)?

It was a very wild time then and for months afterwards. Very very difficult and not one I would like to repeat any time soon to say the least.

What I want you to know is this - go, if you can. Maybe it will be expensive and the timing is not the greatest and it is very stressful I understand. You WILL make it through your move. Somehow. Things have a way of working out, they always do. Although this world can be unkind and throw every unmentionable road block you can think of (and even ones you can not) in our paths. We have to do what we have to do and we will come out on the other side alright.

I know that they say God doesn't give us more then we can handle and there is a reason for everything. I do question that sometimes but I also have seen/know it is true and often on the other side find those answers down the line. You will too.

Try thinking outside the box on this. Instead of trying to fly your normal path, fly in from a different direction and approach it from there. You might find flights are cheaper to alternative cities doing it that way. Part of my background is in the travel industry. I know also right now with the fuel situation the airlines are arbitrarily cancelling some flights on people too leaving some stranded for days so try NOT to fly to cities not to traveled either. Even flights into some BIG cities have gotten canceled (one leaving chicago recently got cancelled for 2 days going to TN). I'd hate to see you stranded somewhere in a time like this too. IF you DO happen to run into a situation like this make the airline accountable for it. They have to give you vouchers for meals and/or hotel if it is delayed for more then 4 hours I believe (hotel if longer then a certain time frame). Look up the airline you are traveling on for more specifics.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure you have a laptop, keep in contact with board members as I'm sure you will. We'll keep you company and I bet you may even get the opportunity to meet a few more to pass what otherwise might happen to be a bad time, a more enjoyable pleasant one! :)

Just my....tooo long ....02 cents.

Tia

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I could have sworn I posted to this yesterday. I'm glad to hear there's at least a momentary reprieve. I'm sorry for the late hug...but here's a belated hug anyway.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Deb, I say this from the bottom of my heart. There are times when nothing is needed to be done.
She made her choice to end treatment and live her life the way she wants. Don't force feed her fluids, or ensure or send her to the ER. Let her go the way she chose to go.
We all have to get to where your mother is. Do you want your kids deciding they want you to seek more treatment? You aren't ready to let her go but she wants to go. What are you trying to do and for whom?
I ask myself these questions often. I did it with my dad and when I was making life altering decisions for difficult child. I am now again in the situation of planning my mom's gradual end. I ask myself "what does she want?" "who do I serve when I make a decision?"

Your mom and your dad need to work this out and then make the decision known to you. The dehydration and lack of eating will happen over and over. She doesn't want or need to be saved by family or the medical community.
Go and say your good byes, talk to her and ask her the things you always wanted to ask. Listen to her story so you remember all that she was before she was your mom. Let her know she will be remembered.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aww, Fran. That is what I feel in my heart, but it's so hard watching it happen. I'm the only sibling that has anything to do with my parents. I guess I feel that is a burden in a weird sense. I don't regret it, but would love to have some help from my brother and sister.

As I said, she's doing better. I gave up a year or so ago trying to get her treatment. I know first hand that sometimes the 'cure' is worse than the disease. I'm quite sure she's at that point.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
My personal philosophy Deb is to expect nothing from anyone. I can only count on/control me. If they help it's absolutely gravy. Different people see their responsibility differently. The less I asked and the more I did, the more the sibs wanted to give help instead of me dragging help out of them. No anger, no judgemnt, no criticism. I do what I want, because I think it is the right thing. They have to do what they think is right. It's never going to be fair. I don't think it's possible or the goal. Give the parts of you that you can. You want to not have regrets.
I have been fortunate my sibs have given help when and where they could. We have all been grateful to each other.

witzend

Can you get her doctor or eldercare to send a visiting nurse? They can prescribe a saline IV at the very least, and also see if she needs some pain medications.

TerryJ2

I am so sorry. But I'm glad that your dad took your mom to the hospital. Way To Go! What a relief. I can understand the dr's frustration. He sounds like a nice guy ... working in the dark.
I wish your parents didn't live so far away!!!!
Take care.

Abbey

Spork Queen
You are right, Fran. I do what I do for my folks because I've put an ugly past behind me. They are good people, just didn't know how to raise children.

I completely understand my mother and her decisions, but it is still hard to watch.

In some sense, I want to regain the years I lost as a child...stupid as that is. They were young and made many of the same mistakes we all make as parents, but are trying to do better.

Abbey

I too faced my mother dying of cancer. She lived in Georgia - me in South Carolina - I stayed for months and neglected my family also but my sister and daddy needed me - she has been gone for about 3 years now - i wouldnt take anything for the time we spent - do they have hospice there? Hospice was so wonderful when my mother got worse.

DammitJanet

Im sorry Deb. If you can get there, get there. I dont think you will regret one minute of time or money you spend now. Make those last memories so you can treasure them. I often wish I could have known a year or two before my mom was going to lose it all so I could have attempted to make my peace but then hindsight is 20 20. In my case I doubt it would have worked but the what if's kill me in the dark of the night.

I am keeping all of you in my prayers.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Deb,

My mom ultimately ended her chemo - she had no quality of life. It was the hardest thing for my dad & my sibs & I to accept.

There is a wonderful book called Final Gifts. I must have read that book 4 times over during my mother's last month of life.

Do what you need to do & make no apologies.

Keeping you & yours in my thoughts & prayers during this difficult time.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ha! I just got a call from the doctor at 5am my time. I guess my mom is rebounding. She's is agitated and wants to go home. He'd like to keep her one more day, but is going to discharge her around noon if it was ok with me. He said her fluid levels were relatively normal and she's eating solid foods now.

My dad is...well, I think he's kind of in denial and doesn't know what to do. Heck, this is the guy I had to fly to Texas to show him how to use the washer, make his OWN cup of coffee and bowl of cereal. He is an early riser and would wait until 9/10am until my mom got up to get his morning fix. He's always had my mom to take care of him. (I don't think he's actually done any of that since then.) Men.

I always thought it would be my dad who would pass. He's had 2 quintuple bypasses and 2 heart attacks and colon cancer. His health has always been bad. Mom? Not a thing until this cancer.

Thank you all for your support. I will get that book and read it. doctor said he'd call me later today to let me know how everything went. I will keep in close contact with my parents.

Again, thank you.

Abbey