Just Great

flutterby

Fly away!
I just talked to the school psychiatric who finished administering the tests for difficult child's IEP re-evaluation.

I have the feeling they're going to try to not qualify her for services. "She's made so much progress. Academically, she's very strong."

She is smart. But her classroom grades suck. Her first report card was C's, D's and D-'s. Her interim is a bit better, but she has an F in science. And the only reason it is better is because she's been working with PCA via video conferencing (Skype) for 2-3 hours a night. MR/daughter doesn't pay for tutoring during the school year, so PCA has been doing this for free. I let him know that.

I'm going to have to get documentation from PCA and therapist. I'm hoping that PCA will be on break from school and will be able to attend the meeting with me.

Sigh.....

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
One would think these things wouldn't have to be so hard for our kids?
N sits and cries about going to school every night and is terrified to ask for help or get in trouble, but how do you put that into an IEP...
Wynter should get service just to get the poor kid through the day. You think they would realize this by now? I hate when the Schools say the kid is doing good enough.
Take away the IEP let her fail and then she will qualify again! DUH!!!

Makes no sense...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

I'm so sorry to hear this....

I think schools are in such a financial bind these days that they are trying to cut as many kids as possible out of programs that offer special services.

I hope that's not the case here, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

--DaisyFace

Josie

What a low standard to call C's, D's, and an F strong. I realize it is a little better now, but don't they see that it might not be a given?

I think it is a huge accomplishment for her to still be going to school. I hope you can keep her IEP in place so she has the support she needs.

smallworld

Heather, in order to get M accommodations/services, I needed to keep a "homework log" to document how long homework was taking her and how many meltdowns she was having every night to get it done. Until I did that, the school didn't quite get the picture because M was the model student in school.

The more documentation you can get to support your case, the better. Good luck.

flutterby

Fly away!
PCA is going to attend the meeting with me, and she's going to shadow difficult child in school the day of the meeting. I'd like to see the school deny that because PCA is 1) working through MR/daughter, and 2) is on the sub list for our SD so they have her background check, teaching license, etc.

I'm also going to get documentation from therapist.

difficult child tests strong in all subject areas, and that's what the school psychiatric was basing his statement on. It's in the classroom where she struggles.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather ~ be careful using a PCA in school; it's likely not going to be approved for payment. Once difficult child is in school, the waiver of services shuts down until she returns home.

Just a warning.

flutterby

Fly away!
TL - She won't be billing for it, so it won't effect anything. She just wants to shadow her one day so she can see what is going on at school vs what we see at home; therefore, can be of more help at the IEP meeting.