Just had to share...

Lil

Hmmm...no right way I guess...

So it seems. I'm quite sure that the smaller grocery stores, etc., want you to call. I know because when one called looking for my son, who already had a job, I jokingly said, "My son's girlfriend needs a job." He told her to put in an application and either call or stop by and ask for him. (She hasn't put in there to my knowledge.) I'm also sure the places with electronic apps don't mind you calling or coming in and checking. They may very well send an email notification, but there are plenty of people in the world using library computers or fairly computer-stupid. I know that my sons girlfriend doesn't use email...drove him crazy! When she was sending his train ticket she had to email it to me and had to actually make an email account to do it and then couldn't figure out how to attach it. She still doesn't use email.

So yeah, around here professionals, etc., would not call. But fast food places, grocery stores, smaller shops, they expect it.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Lil, I love it that he is giving her the same advice you have been giving him forever! I love it!

My son did the same thing with his old girlfriend, especially about her finding a job. He would tell me that he drove her around (she didn't drive) and say, go anywhere, up and down the street, there are 100s of businesses, walk in there and ask them if they need any help.

It was unreal, because that is exactly what i would say when he would lie around here and say I can't find a job. What????!!!

I think it is also a great sign that he is on the side of advising someone that frankly is worse off than he is. That is a great position for them to be in. They are so used to being the person who is constantly being told what to do by everybody (and not doing it of course) and now...they are on the other side.

It is a very maturing place to be. After my son's girlfriend and he finally broke up for good (Hallelujah, she is the one who stabbed him remember?), I came to see that she actually served a very good purpose in his re-entry into society. I am glad he had that experience because experience is what he HAS to have in order to mature.

Today, he says there is no way he ever wants to "be with" someone like her again. He is actually saying: I want a girl who goes to church, works two jobs and has her head on straight."

Will wonders ever cease?

Progress, not perfection...your son is making progress!

A dad

Yes small entry position like grocery shops and restaurants and fast foods might encourage calling they do not get hundreds of applications a day like in a factory. You said she worked in a factory before she might get a job easier in one she should try.

BusynMember

I'm job hunting now and I have to apply over the internet for every position and all I'm looking for is low level part-time to fill up time. Many fast food places not only require the internet (McDonalds, Burger King), but give you a long, long test afterward. So does Walmart. I have found zilch places where you can fill out a form in person. And, at least here, all jobs have tons of people interested! You do have to be willing to put in a good effect. It gets tiring.

A dad

I'm job hunting now and I have to apply over the internet for every position and all I'm looking for is low level part-time to fill up time. Many fast food places not only require the internet (McDonalds, Burger King), but give you a long, long test afterward. So does Walmart. I have found zilch places where you can fill out a form in person. And, at least here, all jobs have tons of people interested! You do have to be willing to put in a good effect. It gets tiring.
In big cities yes it annoying how may hoops you have to jump trough to get a job. But to be fair you get a decent paying job way faster in a big city as there are more. In a small city you get jobs easier but the pay how to put is below minimum and they do some shoddy things at least in my experience. Each has its disadvantages.

Lil

Many fast food places not only require the internet (McDonalds, Burger King), but give you a long, long test afterward.

LOL Yes, when my son was filling those out he'd read some of the questions out loud...

You see a coworker take money from the register. Do you: A. Tell a manager. B. Do nothing. C. Take some yourself.

Okay...they weren't quite that bad. But close. How stupid do you have to be to not answer A?

AppleCori

One time both my daughters failed the written test at a video rental store they applied to, but the manager went to corporate and got them hired anyway. Took several weeks, but it got done. They went on to be assistant managers, too.

Helps when you are gorgeous.

And identical twins.

AppleCori

I would just assume the girlfriend is shy or has some self-esteem issues or simply unsure of the right way to go about the job hunt.

Giving her pointers and pep talks would be a real help to them.

Maybe she was not well-raised and does not know some of the basics of life, unlike the way your son has been brought up. Sure, he has ignored the teachings, but he has them to fall back on when he wants them...

Copabanana

Around here they pretty much expect you to ask to speak to the hiring manager and at least check to see if they received the application, especially since it's all done on-line.
It was recommended somewhere, sometime to send a note as a follow up. (Put it was for professional employment, so take it with a grain of salt) which accomplishes what a call would do, without the risk of bugging them.

They sell plain white cards with nothing printed on them, in a plain white envelope that fits the card. Do they know to use black or blue ink?

Putting something like, I very much appreciated your time and consideration of my suitability to work as a xxx. I am available immediately if need be.

Or something like that. I would imagine that the local Taco Bell never received such a follow up and it would make an impression.

The other way to look at it is, why even go there with her. There are risks to that too. Maybe she is testing your son. Maybe what she wants is a meal ticket. Who knows?

COPA

BusynMember

In big cities yes it annoying how may hoops you have to jump trough to get a job. But to be fair you get a decent paying job way faster in a big city as there are more. In a small city you get jobs easier but the pay how to put is below minimum and they do some shoddy things at least in my experience. Each has its disadvantages.
I live in a very small city. It's all relative. If we get $8.00 an hour, our clean, nice two bedroom 1000 ft. apt. with all utils. is only $600 a month and that's more than average because of the pets. You can live on a lot less here. And there isn't much crime in our smaller area.