Just how a lot of us are feeling

muttmeister

DEAR CONGRESS, Last year I mismanaged my funds and this year my family and I cannot decide on a budget. Until we have come to a unified decision that fits all of our needs and special interests, we will have to shut down our checkbook and will no longer be able to pay our taxes. I'm sure you'll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.

DDD

Mutt, you might add a PS question. How does six billion dollar Microsoft manage to only pay seven percent of earnings in tax. How insane is all this stuff. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRILLIANT~~~~

Oh and by the way - While I decide what to do? There's movies and popcorn for everyone~

BusynMember

I just want it to be over. They can do the details later. If we default on our debt, we're in trouble. Depression on the way. We can talk about cuts later...it's getting late...

I'm really wondering if our SS checks will come.

muttmeister

I really think our SS checks will come. There are 50 million people getting a SS check of some kind. If they average $1000 apiece, that is 50 billion dollars per month that would not be spent in our economy. Plus most of us vote. I don't think that even politicians are that stupid. (although it is hard to underestimate their stupidity).

DammitJanet

They have already said that the social programs are getting paid. Everything for the elderly, sick and poor are being paid so dont worry.

They did make some stupid comment about maybe not paying the active duty military but I dont think they are that stupid because they really dont want those loaded guns being pointed directly at Congress. This is exactly why we have a second amendment. Continental Congress anyone?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think they need to look at this more realistically. After all this hee hawing around, now the ones who decide the credit rating don't seem to think that raising the debt ceiling will help us keep our current 3 star rating. A drop in that rating is going to hurt us in a big way, whether the ceiling is raised or not. The credit people aren't seeing from either side the amt of cuts in spending they want to see.

This is a no win situation with the economy in it's current state. Raising the ceiling puts a temporary band aide on the problems and will make matters just that much worse down the road. We're still headed for a depression if something doesn't happen to turn the economy around. Not raising the ceiling makes it all come to a head faster, nearly immediate, in an economy that in no way can withstand the impact.

That's how I understand it. But then I think they tend to talk in circles and after a while I start getting dizzy. ugh

I hope they're smart enough to get their acts together in time. It makes them ALL look bad, like a bunch of power hungry bully me I'll bully you types. (which of course they are or they wouldn't be doing their jobs)

No win situation. Govt has grown far far too large, so large that it feeds off itself as well as the country full of tax payers, a larger percent that now can't pay in due to not having an income. I have a feeling budget cuts are going to be where the spending is the most obvious, like welfare programs and the like. Heaven forbid they enforce strict audits and clean up their own backyards first.

husband is neither expecting to get his SS check or his unemployment check in august. I'm not sure how they could justify not paying those as they were paid into buy the very people using them, and as far as unemployment by the companies they worked for. There is no reason for those funds to not be in place, unless govt misappropriated funds. If they're that stupid........and at this point they all have me wondering if they're even in touch with reality.........they're going to have a sh*t ton of enraged people on their hands.....and probably mass mobs. Same with welfare people, only I heard once that statistically the majority of them don't bother to vote, not sure I believe it, but I heard it. Personally though, people who I know that are using it currently have never voted....and that's quite a lot of people. So maybe there is some truth to it.

I do think SS, disability, and welfare will eventually be affected. I just don't think it will necessarily be immediate, unless they're really really stupid.

I just hope they give me plenty of time to have a decent stockpile. ugh

keista

Janet, I'm with you on the Continental Congress. I am so sick of these two parties having so much power! It's no longer even what each party thinks is best for the country, it's what's best for the party. GRRRRRRRRRRR

BusynMember

If they don't pay the military, all of them can kiss their ever-so-lovely backsides good-bye when they are up for re-election. I'm so alarmed by their disregard for our credit rating and well being that I will probably vote for all the non-incumbents...lol.

Notice not one politician ever said, "hey, WE won't even get paid." Hahahahaha! :)

DDD

Sadly...VERY sadly...even if you watch the televised Senate and House Representatives speak live on television, you don't know if you can trust a single thing they say. Regarding SS I listened to a female Rep who addressed that issue and she said "if there is no agreement there will still be money for paying benefits that are due at the beginning of the month but checks are mailed four times a month and there is no assurance that subsequent payments can be covered". We receive our checks around the 25th. It did cause me to pause.

Personally I tend to think that the President will utilize the 14th Amendment and make sure the money is available and the credit rating is not flushed. on the other hand, he will get alot of flack as it will end up before the Supreme Court. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
DDD

I guess I'm stupid. I just read the 14th amendment.........I'm not seeing where it applies to this particular situation?? I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, I honestly am not seeing where it would apply. I see something for funds/debt but it still doesn't seem to apply, or maybe I'm reading it wrong. Or maybe they're talking in circular logic so much I'm not understanding how they intend to make it apply?

DDD

I could have the # wrong but from what I have read and heard it is has never been invoked by a President and seems to be available to Congress; however, there is a loop hole somewhere that makes it possible as an emergency measure. That's why they say that if it happens it will end up in Court. DDD

DDD

It is the 14th. Former President Clinton stated this week that IF they don't get resolve and IF he were President that is what he would do to meet existing obligations. President O'Bama has not mentioned it. I just don't think that if there is any way possible to avoid default that the President would ignore it.
Of course everyone hopes Congress will get it together by the deadline. Sigh. DDD

keista

I'm guessing it's section #4
Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

DDD

I haven't reviewed the Amendment but that sounds like it would be it to me. Gee, you are so smart and quick, too.
DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It's my personal opinion that they're messing around with the wrong people here. Congress seems to think that they can piddly-fart around and do whatever... But as someone else mentioned, try not paying the military. Most are grunts who live hand-to-mouth anyway.

Social security, disability, and unemployment? Thanks, that tanked 25% of our household income - more if the kids are approved. Govt contractors? Unless my company pays me money they don't have, there's the other 75%.

Technically speaking, we hit the debt ceiling in May. And you don't want to know what I spend on a daily basis - not my own money - the taxpayers'. I don't think it's right, but I have to, to keep my job. And if they don't pay me, I ain't working. Just a fact.

It's time the people stood up. I don't mean rioting - but many will, if this isn't resolved. Thing is - just consider: 1775, we tried to escape excessive taxes from England... which, if you were a prosperous plantation owner, could amount to 1.5% of your annual income. Anyone want to think about what their last tax return said? No. But the percentages are just going to continue to rise, to pay off the excesses. Where does that leave us?

Politicians of ALL stripes are basically dishonest, in my opinion. They do not care. Someone (don't know who) said that the one person most able to run the world is the least likely to want the job... It works in reverse, too.

:soapbox: OK, I'm hopping down...