Just left school after a battle to get him to take medications. I cannot keep doing this.

BusynMember

Just a note: It is illegal for any school to force medication taking. These are educators, not doctors. They can not MAKE you give your child any medication nor do they have to know what you give them. It's your choice on both counts.

rdland

Believe me, if I could just not tell them I would. difficult child is the kind of kid that he has to tell everyone and their mother everything! Because of his heart murmur he had to wear a holter monitor for 24 hours to be sure he was ok for stimulants and the day he wore it was not a school day but was parent teacher conference. I do not have any one to watch him so he came with me. We did not even get inside the building before he started lifting his shirt to show people. I may not say anything but I am sure he will. Whatever with them. They will just have to deal with it.

So he did not have one episode like he had the last few days. As I mentioned in earlier post he seemed like he was going to start but I calmly talked him thru it. I am even more certain it was the medications. Complete, huge change in him! He also reinforced for husband that he STILL needs some type of medications as he was seriously bouncing off the walls this evening. You can just see his mind racing and he goes from one topic to the next and the next. He was interrupting when husband and I talk too which was how he was before medications. He could not sit still at all! husband took him to dinner just the 2 of them and when they got home husband was exhausted from all of it. He had started questioning if difficult child really needs medications the last couple days but got a good reminder today why we started!

I am concerned he will do something Monday to get suspended again because he acts up a lot more at school. He has not been suspended since the para was put with him every day. She really is amazing and does great with him. We are very lucky to have her. Hopefully she can redirect him enough or take him out of the class if needed to prevent him from getting suspended. I would rather take the chance instead of giving him Vyvanse again for school!

our doctors laugh at the schools and really dont take them as being as credible as my word, but they know Q and have known him since he was little (except the psychiatrist, I am still a little on guard about her). It sounds like they are not being very professional and I truly know how that feels.

Is there some reason you have to tell them he is not on medications? How about just letting it go for a day and then, OH I forgot to tell you the doctor told us to take him off of that. Wait to see what they notice. It would be hysterical if they assumed you got the medications into him, then thought he had such a great day. I actually have done that, not to make fools of anyone but to get a more objective view of how Q is on a medication or off a medication or at a different dose, etc. Of course if they have a dose to give at school then you have to tell them not to do it, but .......just a thought. It really is not their business. Of course for the long run it is best to tell etc. but for a day or two??? might be interesting. Regardless, they are to use appropriate techniques and behavior with your son.

buddy

Oh, that make sense, I have a kid too who tells everything..sigh. So, given you have to tell, then maybe taking the proactive I know today might be tricky so if there is an issue where you try to redirect him and he really can't pull it together, please call me right away. It will not be in his control and a suspension will be silly at that point. I do that with Q, they haven't abused it so far (but now that the principal knows...sigh). For me, when he is off due to medications or a little thing that most kids can go to school for... I would rather have him with me and not have a serious issue happen. The down side to that might be that it is called a sick day.... you would have to decide for yourself if you want it called a dismissal/suspension vs sick day...because then it counts against the 10 days they are allowed per year for a pattern of suspensions.

Obviously this may not be for you either... glad you have a good EA though, ours are not great