Just popping in to say that we're making "organic" progress

DDD

Actually husband and I are hyped that we are "close" to eating normal food again. Just this week for the first time Walmart had organic cottage cheese, salted and unsalted butter and a new quinoa/wild rice organic microwave combo. husband's favorite store has ground beef and full chickens as well as jams and some fresh fruit. My store is "the place" for organic gala apples, celery, romaine, iceberg, tomatoes, beets, carrots, mushrooms and more including red potatoes and sweet potatoes, onions etc. etc.

Just figured that I should post something positive for a change. Since I love cooking it was hard to be limited but now it's "almost" fun again. DDD

DDD

It really is nice. Just like in "normal" diets...the most appealing costs some bucks. difficult child#1 brought a beautiful salmon fillet as a present for me. I honestly am gaining weight just from pigging out on great organic/healthy things. The salmon was broiled with dill weed, evoo and fresh lemon juice and then served over a huge bed of organic spinach leaves that were cooked with scads of garlic and evoo.

I think I have an MH problem when it comes to "pigging out itis" because I just can't stand to put leftovers away...they go down the gullet of the old lady.......who is getting fat, LOL. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Good for you DDD. I have been trying to cook more fresh healthy food rather than eating out all the time. I have to be careful still of what I eat as when they removed a hugh block of my colon that was full of diver holes, it was impossible for them to get it all. I am convinced that what they put in or on food genetically changing it, increasing shelf life and pesticides caused some of my problem (of course, years of stress from a sick SO and Chech's antic's didn't help). I was never a junk food eater, nor a big red meat eater and considered a good meal one of mainly veggies and fish.

The one thing I still have a problem with is NOT cooking like half the city is comming to dinner.

Marcie

DDD

Marcie, you need to move to Florida and we can take turns cooking. OMG it is SO hard to cook for two when you are used to six or eight or used to frequent entertaining. It is HARD to get motivated for one or two. Ugh. DDD

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have been going on allreceipes.com and you can change any of their receipes to the portions you are cooking. I hate to waste food and when I make things just for two, end up with a lot of left over ingrediants in the fridge - like what am I going to do with a third of a can of tomato sauce. Am not that thrifty in figuring out what to do with that for the next meal.

Too bad you don't live closer I would send you over some sausages - we ran out of people to give them to LOL Thankfully Dan came home tonight and was going to a friends for a bar b que and to watch the game so he took about 12 of them off our hands

Marcie

LittleDudesMom

DDD,

Great news!! I was actually sitting in my doctor's office yesterday and they had a healthy cooking show feed on in the waiting room. It was onions, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes sauteed in a small amount of olive oil, then they added some frozen spinach (squeezed) and part skim ricotta (just a little), then took that mixture and laid it on top of some salmon filets - popped it the oven for 15-20 minutes! Looked great and I will be making it his week!

Since I began eating healthier in May, I've been shopping at four different stores as I find better pricing and more choices! Last night for dinner I had three grilled scallops (large ones), fresh green beans, and some red lentils I made with caramelized sweet onions and red chili sauce! Yum! I love lentils and they are a great source of protein and fiber! If you like lentils, I'll pass along the recipe. I make a double batch about every two weeks and freeze in individual servings.

Good to hear that you are finding more options!

Sharon

DDD

I love the fresh organic spinach sauteed with garlic as a bed for the baked, grilled or broiled salmon. I haven't picked up any sundried tomatoes since I went organic (or as close to it as I can get). So far we haven't found any organic cheese and with exaggeration I could...actually I have, lol...eat a pound of almost any cheese at a sitting. I do buy mozzarella balls and melt them over eggplant slices with homemade organic tomato sauce. Yum.

I'm no rocket scientist as is obvious to the family but what I "think" I'm learning is that to use the word "Organic" on your product you have to be certified by the Gov't which is a costly process. So we are figuring there may be alot of organic locally grown vegetables that just don't have the label. It's a work in progress. DDD

Mattsmom277

S\O and I recently saw some documentaries about genetically modified food. That led, typical to our nature, to us doing our own research. Which led us to both researching organic foods. Which has led us both to feeling seriously grossed out by formerly enjoyable foods.

We have been looking online for local contacts re:eek:rganic suppliers. You are correct that many local growers are organic however don't hold the designation. Farmers markets as well as restaurants featuring local organic produce and meats and dairy are great places to ask for more local contacts. One can even ask specifically for the more affordable farms that have lower prices due to no designation by a governing body.

Good for you for making a choice for your health. I'm glad you're finding enjoyment from food again.

InsaneCdn

I don't know what the US practice is, but here... "Organic" can't be used unless the operation is certified for this crop. E.g. if the farm was certfied organic for cereal crops, they can't use the label on veggies unless they are specifically certified. However.... in practice, local operators who are not certified, or (more often) not certified in that particular food, will advertize under the term "natural", and will specify exactly what growing practices they use. You can tell pretty quickly if they are practially organic... or just wanna-be operators.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sharon, please share that lentil recipe. I like lentils but have difficulty finding ways to prepare them!!

DDD, I'm so very excited for you and H!!! Everything you're trying sound so fresh and appetizing....that is why eating is so enjoyable, no? Now I'm hungry.

DDD

I'd like the lentil recipe too, please.

I swear each week the local supermarkets are adding more and more organic products. I don't want to be a bore but we can't help but smile. This week we found canned organic black beans and (I think this is weird) organic balsamic vinegar...plus for the first time organic fresh pears. I honestly don't like pears but it's cool they are there. by the way the government has a list of the ten ? worst items for pesticides etc. and APPLES are number one. Neither of us would ever have guessed that. Now we are eating organic gala apples.

Publix is a southern chain of supermarkets and they have "Green wise" products that are organic. I prefer Sweetbay supermarkets and they too are expanding. I understand Whole Foods has a wealth of choices but we don't have one in our neck of the woods. husband told me he saw an ad for frozen organic vegetabls at one of the stores this week. It's getting easier and easier, lol. DDD

buddy

I.wish I knew what to do with spices etc so I could cook better. I have a coupon for free tuition to attend a diabetes risk class at the YMCA ($320 for a sixteen week class ) because I went through a clinic /mammogram etc. And found I am doing well and healthy overall but had low good cholesterol and was exactly at the cutoff for normal fasting glucose. It is a dept of.health clinc callex SAGE funded.by.the.Susan G. Kolman (sp?) for uninsured women and I want to take advantage. They say they discuss cooking and exercise and food choices. I figure it can't make me a worse cook and it is something to do for me (ultimately q too with the medications.and weight gain ) if I can arrange for care for q. I hope you share more about what you make ....sounds like there are some good options.

LittleDudesMom

Buddy, take advantage of that no cost cooking class. I guarantee you will learn who to choose and good healthier options as well as learn how sugar effects the body -- it would be wonderful for you to implement even just a few of things you learn to your daily eating habits!

Here's the lentil recipe for those of you who asked -- sorry it took so long to get back with you.

Chili Pepper Lentils

1 T Olive Oil
1 onion sliced thin (this was the original recipe, I use twice as much or two onions per batch)
6 cloves of minced garlic (I double this as well because I LOVE garlic)
3/4 C uncooked lentils (make sure you rinse 'em! I used red lentils because it makes the dish more visually appealing!)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 T Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce (found in the Thai aisle of your grocer or at oriental food markets - caution - do not use red chili paste unless you use just a little because that is full strength! I first used the garlic chili pepper sauce from "A Taste of Thai" line but now buy the sauce {usually red curry paste) at our my local oriental food market - larger amount/cheaper price! I suggest using more than 4 T if you like spice, but remember, you can't taste the recipe until the end when the lentils have absorbed all the fluid - at that time you can add more chili pepper sauce if you want more spice)
1 Box of Chicken stock (just open a 32 oz box-you won't use the whole thing-or maybe a 15 oz can instead-I open a whole 32 oz box because I use it for tons of other things within that 7-10 use window for open stock)
1 C water
S&P to taste (at the end of cooking)

In skillet, heat oil over medium heat
Saute onions and garlic until tender (I brown/caramelize my onions rather than just soften then add the garlic for about a minute)
Add lentils, water, lemon juice, and garlic pepper chili sauce
Cook over medium low heat, adding stock as needed (you can sub veggie stock too), until lentils are tender, usually about 45 minutes or so, I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of stock at a time and just keep an eye on the absorption rate.
Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve.

I make a double batch, break them down into individual servings and keep two in fridge and the rest in the freezer! I suggest you make one batch to start and then add and subtract as your taste indicates on the next batch! You can also use a variety of colored lentils which is what I think I'm going to try next time because I can buy them at the bulk section of Whole Foods and just buy a little of each.

Enjoy.

Sharon