Just requested formal evaluation at school for difficult child 1...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
and I've got my fingers crossed that the response I want comes without any hiccups.

His school performance has deteriorated significantly this quarter -- probably a lot to do with the stress our family's been under, esp. with-husband's brain surgery. But difficult child 1 never seems to have an explanation for why things are falling apart (I guess that's typical).

The past two days he's also had major health issues because of his Crohn's disease, so that's not helping.

He was never formally evaluated by the school district, so I've basically asked for that to happen in light of the difficulty he's having now. I'm hoping the outcome either results in an IEP, or at the very least, some more meaningful accommodations than what he has now.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
The problem in Ca is that from what I remember, ADHD alone doesnt qualify you for an IEP. At one time I had the whole website committed to memory in trying to get help for my difficult child. If you ask for testing, please make sure you request a test for everything and anything, and send it certified to the school and to the district - they do have a time line to get back to you and I wanna say its 60 days, or maybe 30, but at any rate, be prepared for a stall as school will be over soon.

There is a place in Anaheim called T.A.S.K. that have parent advocates and a ton of information in IEP's - I had hired one of their advocates when I was getting absolutely no where with my SD.

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yes, it IS 60 days. We're in the middle of difficult child 2's IEP process right now, and that seems to be going smoothly so far.

I was hoping that since difficult child 1 has a chronic disease for which they've already given him a "health plan", and we now know he has anxiety issues on top of the ADHD, and the fact that his grades are really sliding this year, they could at least evaluate him since it's never been done. I probably should have raised the issue sooner.... we've just had so many different issues on the table the past two years I've had to focus on the most pressing fires first, and difficult child 1's school issues weren't as glaring before now.

Did you have much success with the TASK advocate in getting the services your difficult child needed?

We are in O.C. and our school district has been fairly easy to work worth so far.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have to say the advocate I hired was worth every penny- the sd was absolutely HORRIBLE and were doing anything and everything - some of soooo it illegal - as to NOT to provide for any services.

They do have a web site http://www.taskca.org/

Marcie