Just Shoot Me Now! Please!

jal

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! difficult child lost his daycare yesterday. He has been through 5 of them. Luckily my mom can take him for the short term after school, but I have no where else to put him. I do not know what I am going to do. He will be starting the new program at the new school soon so I may be able to adjust my schedule to meet him off the bus, but how do I account for the 29 vacation days and 7 half days throughout the year and still keep my job? Has anyone had to go through losing their daycare and what inventive or other options did use persue for your difficult child? We have been approved for respite services and in home behavioral management. Have any of these supports helped with-locating after school care?

meowbunny

Sadly, I've been there done that too many times to count. I lost a job I'd had for 12 years and loved. I was lucky to keep a job for 6 months after that. I finally gave up on working full time. Instead, I started freelancing and temping. I didn't make quite as much money and I had no benefits but I did save on daycare and stress.

Good luck on finding something. Hopefully, your in-home providers will have some suggestions for you. One thing you might want to consider is a foster parent who babysits. This worked wonderfully for me until she got too many kids of her own and couldn't babysit any longer.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sorry you are dealing with all of this. Are there any after school programs that offer care on the vacation days? I know that really helped us with difficult child. The after school offered programs on all the conference, convention and many of the long breaks.

jal

Unfortunately no. As it is we are in process of moving difficult child to a special program out of district. We took difficult child to visit the school today and I mentioned to the therapist my problem and she said she may know of someone that has a small home daycare for kids with issues. Maybe that will pan out.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
I'm sorry. I know exactly how hard it is to lose a daycare...we've been thru many when difficult child was a baby. I know in my state, the DCFS will give us a free list of daycare providers for children with- special needs. There's never any harm in asking if they'd be up for the challenge.

When difficult child was at her worst (infant/toddler/early school age) I was a stay at home mom who ran a daycare out of the house. It worked great at the time - I was able to make a pretty decent living at it too. But boy was it exhausting. (we do what we have to do, right?)

I had college students (friends kids) who've come to my house for the last 3 years. My kids know them and like them. I know I'm very lucky and thank God every day!!

Hope you find a great place for him.

Pookybear66

Jal-Hugs to you! I hope you can work your daycare thing out. I'd watch him if I were in the area. I used to work in daycare for a while and then "retired" because of personal issues. I then became a mom so I could deal with my kids "issues".