just threw my 16-yr-old difficult child & friends out for smoking weed at my house...

Wow Nancy and RD!!! Big hugs to all of us!!!
Nancy, Antipycotic helped difficult child with the rages. She is taking 20 mg. Abilify aong with 125 moodstabilizer, Lactiamal.
I feel that way about my difficult child and bringing a human life . That was a lot of what I did this summer, it took me four attempts but I did get her birth control shot. I want IUD or some implant becasue it is hard to rope her in every 3 weeks.
I ahve leanred much from CABF (child and adolescent bipolar foundation).
I like FA but know some of it soes not apply as she is BiPolar (BP) and needs to be medicated,needs more supports that if it was just SA.
Compassion

Nancy

I got my difficult child on the nuvaring. The dr would not do the shot or IUD or implant because of her age and infertility concerns. I wanted to tell her that the more we could impair her fertility the better but now that she is 18 I have no say. The problem is that difficult child is not compliant. I have to remind her every three weeks to take it out and put it back in the next week.

Nancy

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
I have friends with bipolar teen daughters who engage in reckless sexual activity and it is so hard on the parents who worry about the consequences.

I'm wondering if an atypical antipsychotic might help. My difficult child 2 was prescribed risperadal to control his impulsivity. Problem for him was that even taken at night, it seemed to leave him somewhat groggy in the a.m. He no longer takes it, but it seems to be useful for teens who fly into rages and break things.

My sister-in-law has an older sister with a 20 yr old son who is Asperger's Syndrome and ODD and Bipolar, not taking any medications currently nor seeing a shrink. She dreads it when he comes home from college to visit because he is tall and wide and very physically intimidating to her, and if she doesn't do what he wants when he wants, he towers over her with the threat of either physical violence or vandalism to the house. She spends the entire visit placating this brat and keeping him away from his dad, who is prone to physically fighting with the boy (dad was career army and now works in IT, probably Aspie lite, no social skills). It's so sad to see how the years are going by, she's getting older (55) and just waiting for the younger child to graduate high school so she can get the heck out of Dodge. The entire family is controlled by the threat of rage from the oldest son. They've never done family counseling, mom has never seen a therapist for her own support, she's just waiting out the clock for older son to go off to the Marines. I shudder at the thought of this kid learning how to sniper fire an automatic weapon.

NAMI is an excellent choice. I attended several meetings in my town but dropped out because most of the other parents/caregivers had kids with Bipolar Disorder or some kind of psychosis or schizophrenia, while my situation was more centered on behaviors, parenting and limit setting. You would get a lot of support from NAMI.

everywoman

Ladies, I just spent a long time typing a response---the just was I know how you feel and my biggest hope is that my male difficult child never finds one of your female difficult children and reproduces---but of course pot is supposed to limit sperm count---I can only hope!!!

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
I'm praying difficult child 2 is being careful with his girlfriend, who is a nice girl. I've told him repeatedly that if something happens, no matter what it is, I can't handle it.

He got his @&& handed to him Monday by his new probation officer, who is like a nasty drill sergeant, and he still refused to go to school this am. She called him and yelled at him and said if he didn't go to group SA counseling today he was going to be on the docket before the judge. He went, but as per usual, he was late getting ready and dragged his feet, got there 15 mins late, don't know what the outcome was, but it really doesn't matter.

He needs to go away for 18 months, Residential Treatment Center (RTC), 24/7. There is nothing for him at home that gives him the level of supervision that he needs.