Just throwing this out there....

tiredmommy

Duckie had another huge meltdown tonight. She actually picked up her music stand and threatened me at one point. She's been talking non-stop, unfocused and difficult since she got up this morning. Her voice is loud and flat. She has a problem with everyone and everything.

She had a hives outbreak this morning and she had a fine red rash again this evening.

Her bff was home sick today with a verified strep infection. They were together in school this week, at the science fair last night and at a sleepover on the weekend.

Duckie said her throat is sore.

:stopglass:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Argh!! I certainly hope it isn't strep and that her mood improves!! I remember the one time my difficult child had strep-ugh-it made him super manic!

rlsnights

I would take her for a strep test. Like tonight at urgent care. If the rash is from strep it is generally called scarlet fever. It needs antibiotics and this form of strep is usually considered a more severe form.

TerryJ2

Uh-oh! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...

My difficult child is VERY cranky when he's coming down with-something. Once he's actually sick, he's half comatose, so he's much easier to get along with.

Good luck to you and Duckie.

M

ML

Manster was his crankiest EVER with step. My money is on a positive test result here.

tiredmommy

Well... we can add sleep walking to the list too.

FWIW... she's only had one positive rapid test in her ten years. The last time we went through this (about 3 weeks ago), the lab lost the throat culture but she had a major behavior turn around within a few doses of amoxi.

I hope I can get her in tomorrow... I have a dental appointment in the morning to replace a broken filling with a crown due to grinding my teeth. :rolleyes:

tiredmommy

Rapid test is negative so we went to the local hospital for a throat culture and a boat load of blood work: mono, blood panel, kidney function, etc. We'll know more on Monday hopefully.

tiredmommy

Throat is still sore, face is still rashy, throat is red but no postules, no fever but achy. We're treating symptoms. The doctor thought it could have been mono so we shall see.

DammitJanet

That sounds kind of like Cory with mono but his fever was really high. Actually he was so listless he was almost a easy child at the time..lol. He could hardly move, couldnt talk, couldnt swallow and lost like 20 pounds in two weeks.

The rash sounds more like scarlet fever...does it go over her chest at all or just her face? Jamie had scarlet fever when he was little and he had the rash all over his torso.

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like she has something. There are different types of strep that cause similar symptoms and they all make you feel awful. I still have vivid awful memories of the Winter of Strep when I was a kid. My dad was a carrier for it and before an ENT doctor figured it out hte rest of us had been treated 4-5 times each. My school actually told my parents that I had to come to school even with a fever if I was going to pass. My mom said "Sure. No Problem - she will be there tomorrow." Then she called all of the moms she knew and told them taht I had strep, that we had been fighting it for weeks and that I had just had a positive test and had a 10-something fever but Sister Principal said I had to still be in school tomorrow even if I had a fever and hadn't been on antibiotics for 48 hours. The other parents lit up the phone lines to the school, the rectory, the convent and even to the ArchBishop. It was yet another lesson to me that messing with MY mom was NOT a wise idea, lol!

I ope she feels better soon and YOU get some breaks from her and don't get whatever it is. You may want to start her on some probiotics or yogurt before the antibiotics start. Acidophilus works really well for me (taken as a capsule) for yeast infections and anything you can do to minimize side effects is probably a good thing.

Sending lots of chicken soup!!

flutterby

Fly away!
She did this before and antibiotics helped. I don't care how sophisticated tests get, we know our kids.

My difficult child never ran fevers with ear infections or complained of ear pain. Her only symptom was that she didn't sleep at night. And when she had strep, it was the only time she acted like a easy child.

Trust your instincts.