Kanga: already breaking curfew, skipping medications

JJJ

Well, that did not take long. Within days of moving into the TLP, she has already broken curfew at least once and has refused medications a number of times.

She stayed appropriate on the phone with me and we touched on some tough issues so that part was good. I told her this was an adult-to-adult conversation. She agreed that her unmedicated mental state would lead her to make very bad choices again and that her choices have already cost her so much (of course, she regrets losing her sport more than her siblings, ggrrrr). That the boy she was with wasn't doing her cause he loved her, that she was just an easy lay and that if she kept it up, her reputation would ensure that was all she'd be considered.

I found the name of a doctor that takes Medicaid patients with "behavioral special needs". I'll be calling her tomorrow and I hope she is accepting new patients. I'm hoping that Kanga can have one provider for her general medical, gyn, and psychiatric needs. I think she is more likely to keep up with her overall care. Of course, she'll still have a therapist through her TLP.

buddy

Darn. Well glad she talked to you appropriately though. The doctor sounds good. I hope she is in real life too!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well... Actually this is somewhat good news, that she could be appropriate even when inconsistently medicated... And I really hope the doctor will accept her!!

elizabrary

I never understand the medications refusal. Kat does the same thing and it makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully you will find good docs for her. I'm hoping for the best!

JJJ

I never understand the medications refusal. Kat does the same thing and it makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully you will find good docs for her. I'm hoping for the best!

Oh, I get it but it still stinks. Two reasons, she hates the side effects and she likes to pretend she is not mentally ill and the years of treatment were all some nefarious plot in which she has been a tragic victim.

buddy

JJJ:558388 said:
Oh, I get it but it still stinks. Two reasons, she hates the side effects and she likes to pretend she is not mentally ill and the years of treatment were all some nefarious plot in which she has been a tragic victim.

Oh wow. Side effects I assumed but the rest, oh my wow. So sorry.

InsaneCdn

The second reason is common with MI, or at least a common variation of a theme. Part of the problem is that the are only a band-aid solution, really. They take the edge off the problem, but they don't solve all the issues... not even close. And so... the twisted MI thinking is still going on, medications or no medications. It's just not so far off the deep end when they are on medications.

JJJ

Kanga moved to TLP eight days ago. Time for a progress report....

*medication refusals for at least one dose on five of the eight days

*two curfew violations

*one ditched class at school

*sex with at least two men, maybe three

*making plans to move to another state with two of the men

DETACH DETACH DETACH

JJJ

I guess having everyone tell her it was a bad idea but that if she was going to get us the name of the town so we could facilitate the transfer of her school records and SSI was not the reaction she was looking for. She appears to have dropped the plans to move to the other state. She is still pushing on all of the rules, enough to be annoying but not enough to get consequenced (oversleeping by an hour, on purpose, but then hustling to get her chores done by the deadline so she still gets paid; getting fired from work for not showing up but crying that her co-workers were bullying her; ditching one class but not a whole day of school, etc. etc.).

She is being very polite on the phone to us but I can hear the instability in her voice. She says that she is taking her medications again and that she has signed the paperwork for everyone to speak with me but no one is calling me back. I did get my copy of the paper she signed allowing me to follow-up on the complaint against the psychiatrist so I'm thinking she did sign stuff but with her being 18, they probably dont feel obligated to call me back.

We are rapidly approaching one of her worst times of the year (late fall--Christmas has seen multiple psychiatric hospital stays, huge spikes of delusion, etc) and I do not think she is prepared. I am glad that she is in TLP and they are willing (supposedly) to call 911 for a psychiatric hospital stay if she completely loses it, but I think she'd run before they could get her admitted.