Kanga is moved

JJJ

Kanga has been successfully moved to the new Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I ended up spending 7 hours there; 4 hours doing paperwork and meeting with the various people - therapist, case manager, etc; and then 3 hours in the unit with Kanga.

Kanga mostly ignored me. She did get very angry when I insisted that she give me all the e-mail addresses that she had got from last Residential Treatment Center (RTC). At one point she admitted to having set up an e-mail account while on a community outing to the library. Then she denied it. I'm sure she has one. Yet another thing to follow up with old Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

This new Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is STRICT!!! Far more what I think an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) should be. After the girls are done eating, they have to ask for permission to clean up. Then each girl picks up her dishes and stands -- in silence -- against one wall of the dining room and then one at a time go into the kitchen to throw out their trash and put their dishes in the dishwasher. Then they have chore time -- also done in SILENCE.

They have a little more 'free time' in the evenings that old Residential Treatment Center (RTC). So Kanga will have to find appropriate things to do for about 3 hours. While showering and homework will take up some of that time, she will still need to occupy the rest of the time. This has always been a struggle for her. I am sure that she will hook onto another girl and just do what she does or bug staff for direction.

She will be allowed her 1st phone call home tonight. Wonder what she is going to say????

rlsnights

Headline today in Sacramento papers -

Giant Sigh of Relief Heard Round the World
Way to go mom. Glad the transport problems got handled.

Patricia

shellyd67

JJJ, I hope this Residential Treatment Center (RTC) does her some good. Keeping you and Kanga in my thoughts ....

H

HaoZi

I'm guessing the move went smoothly (as possible)? Yay! First call about how much she hates this new place, right?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad the move went well!

I have to say I'm a bit surprised about how strict they are... This is good, though...

JJJ

hmmmm.....no call tonight

After 20 phone calls in the week before the move, I guess she has no need for us now that she isn't freaked out over the move.

DDD

If they are caring combined with strict it probably is the right place. Did you get a good vibe talking to staff? DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was thinking was D3 was thinking. Hang in there J3 - Sounds like Kanga is in a good place mentally.

Hugs

JJJ

Yes, I got a good vibe from most of the staff and a professional vibe from nearly everyone. Staff here are all adults (real adults, not the barely-older-than-the-clients-adults from the last Residential Treatment Center (RTC)). When Kanga started screaming at me at the end of the visit, staff was very caring to me, so that makes me believe that they will be that way with Kanga.

Strict+caring is how I parent and it seems like that is how they run their Residential Treatment Center (RTC), so I am happy. There is another girl there that we know from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) #2 (the one that Kanga was at for 2 years) and she has the same 'indepentent living in the community that the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is located' so we will get to see how they transition her out over the next year and be able to follow her footsteps (although her IQ is normal). Right now Kanga doesn't qualify for developmental delayed services or group home as an adult but school Special Education director said that she is going to see what she can do after she meets Kanga and sees how realistic it is to put her in an apartment without supervision.

I am working on an e-mail to the clinical staff to ask how her first weekend went. I love that they use e-mail as their primary means of communication. So easy to take care of whenever I have time.

Jena

you do have your hands full amazes me you always are so calm........ sounds like a good place also and email is awesome! so much easier than playing phone tag.

hang in there your doing awesome, hopefully she will too!!!!

((hugs))