Kanga still in her own little world

JJJ

Kanga has been so compliant at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that many of the staff don't see why she is there. It is very frustrating. I spoke with the nurse yesterday and, of all the staff, she seems to get it. She was doing 1:1 sex ed for Kanga because Kanga didn't seem to get it when they had the group session. She said Kanga has such distorted thinking that she doesn't think she was able to make any progress. Kanga wants to be put on the "pill that lets you have sex" and she wants a baby, she truly feels that by 19 she will have a 4 bedroom house and be living with her current boyfriend (he's 12 which is why she has to wait until 19 so its legal LOL).

She also talks about wanting to kiss lots of boys and has no comprehension of what a reputation is. She thinks people should think of her as she wants them to, not as she behaves. Since she has written graphic sexual notes about boys for 4 years now, I don't think she'd stop at kissing either.

At least someone else gets to bang their head against her irrational thinking for a while.

slsh

member since 1999
Sounds like the nurse needs to be included in the next staffing. ;)

It seems to be so easy for staff to overlook that impaired thought process. I honestly don't think they do it on purpose. Maybe because they're the ones living with it 24/7 now, they can't see the forest for the trees (kinda like how immune some parents get to violence because it's an everyday occurrence). It's really frustrating when staff base treatment plans on our kids' perceptions because .... well, let's face it, they're not terribly reality-based. And then of course we're the bad guys because we still (maybe ;) ) have one foot in the real world and call our little darlings on their bologna.

Yep, definitely - get that nurse to the next staffing!

TerryJ2

Yes, definitely get that nurse to write it all down and make sure the doctors see it!

I am so sorry for you and Kanga. I wish someone could help her break through and see the light.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad the nurse gets it. I hope she is able to share her thoughts with others. I'm sorry Kanga is continuing to struggle. Hugs.