Kanga

JJJ

We had a great visit with Kanga on Sunday. She was polite and interacted with us. We played board games and watched a little tv. We structured it so that she was with her sibs for 30-45 minutes and then with just an adult for 30-45 minutes back and forth for about 5 hours. (She has problems being with her sibs for any real length of time.)

Last night she was rude and disrespectful on the phone because she wants what she wants when she wants it (re: THE boyfriend). We gave her two warnings to fix her attitude and then ended the call when she continued to be rude. She called back 30 minutes later and left a message asking for permission for an off campus activity!!!! Does she not connect the dots????

This summer will mark 2 years at her Residential Treatment Center (RTC). At that point we will need to begin looking at a transfer plan to a different facility as the current Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is very rural and if Kanga is staying in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) then she needs a more urban/suburban environment to learn to take public transportation, get a job, etc. I'm guessing we will need to get her on a waiting list for a TLP but funding is still a daily prayer...today is 1,000 days until she turns 18.

DammitJanet

Im glad that you had a productive visit.

I have to laugh about that phone call. Umm...what happened to THE girlfriend? Now there is a boyfriend? I must have missed something. She is quick!

I hear you on the worry about transferring her. I hope you can find a good fit for her. That has to be extremely hard.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can't even imagine...I'm glad you at least had a glimmer of a decent visit with her, tho.

I hope you can find a placement that works for her. Hugs.

JJJ

Im glad that you had a productive visit.

I have to laugh about that phone call. Umm...what happened to THE girlfriend? Now there is a boyfriend? I must have missed something. She is quick!

THE girlfriend is still around too. I think the boyfriend is an ego boost for her, I think the girlfriend is the real direction she swings but hard to say as girlfriend is "cool" and it could be a get-the-reflected-glory issue.

So in the last month we have had demands to sign her off campus and take her to boyfriends baseball game and demands to sign her out so she can go clubbing with girlfriend.

Oh to see what February will bring.... :rofl:

JJJ

Oh, I forgot her DEMAND that husband take her to see Precious. While I want to see it, I don't think it is appropriate for any 15 year old, let alone one with Kanga's background...

DammitJanet

I want to see that too. Im waiting for the DVD. It sounds like a good movie.

I saw a movie not long ago on encore that I found really good. I cannot for the life of me remember the name but it was about an autistic woman and her brother. I think it may have been named Molly. I know that was the womans name.

It was good. The woman was in an institution that was being closed down due to funding and the brother had to start taking care of her because their parents were both dead. He hadnt really had a relationship with her because she was quite profoundly autistic and he just didnt know how to deal...ya know? I think the parents died when he was 17 and she was already in this home.

It was a really good movie if anyone can find it.

JJJ

Janet - I read the book that Precious is based on (Push by Sapphire). It was an emotionally challenging read as well as sometimes difficult to get through the writing as she writes as the illiterate girl. I bought it and had it read within a day. Very powerful book.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
1,000 days. Wow. It sounds so close when you put it that way. (I'm counting 968 days until difficult child 1 hits that mark -- so now you're freaking me out!!!)

Glad to hear the interactions went so well. But yeah, she still doesn't relate cause and effect when it comes to human interactions. Do they offer any hope that she'll achieve that level of perception in time?

DammitJanet

JJJ, that movie really moved me to tears and I am not one to get weepy over movies. If you can find it to watch it, watch it. Its both sad, uplifting,and funny.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
JJJ, sounds like there are some skills Kanga is learning. She's still quite the child though.

1000 days ~ kanga is the same age as the tweedles, I best get moving. (I have to work out the math on kt & wm, it may be closer)

JJJ

Gosh, I hope she connects the dots sometime soon!
Many hugs.

Now we're back to "I need to be out of here." It used to be "I'm done with treatment." and when that didn't work it became "I need more help." :faint:

Residential Treatment Center (RTC) would really like her to have successful home visits this semester. We shall see...