Kanga's sense of entitlement

JJJ

Kanga called this morning. Course she is all excited about getting her belts back and she wants me to take her shopping. She does not get it. She tried to get husband to talk to me but he refused (good job husband!). Why the heck does she think I would take her shopping? I reminded her that her next scheduled shopping trip with me is in March. I asked what had she done to show any reason I should take her earlier? manipulate staff on her last shopping trip? She decided she didn't want to talk to me anymore. Her sense of entitlement is breathtaking.

M

ML

Try to let this one go. No, she's not getting it and unlikely will, at least not with the belt thing. Just keep doing what you're doing and pray that something clicks for her in the new year. Hugs, ML

smallworld

JJJ, her thinking sounds very distorted. Now that she has a diagnosis of BiPolar (BP), what is being done medwise to address her symptoms? Abilify may help with psychosis (although it's not at a very high level), but Zoloft may actually be destabilizing her. A true mood stabilizer might be a better choice. BiPolar (BP) is above all a chemical brain disorder that needs appropriate medication intervention.

JJJ

She was on Depakote at a really high level. She gained 55 pounds in 6 months and we saw no symptom control. Staff at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) say they aren't seeing mood swings so the psychiatrist won't add another one.

I think personality disorder is her more 'true' diagnosis and I haven't heard of any medications for that.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think personality disorder is her more 'true' diagnosis and I haven't heard of any medications for that.

I think you're right, from what I've read of your posts. And no, there don't seem to be any particular medications to address that, just the comorbid issues that often go hand-in-hand with it. CBT is the one treatment I know if that's used to help, and obviously, the younger you start, the better.

My father, I strongly suspect, has a personality disorder. He has traights of paranoid/borderline/narcissistic. But at 67 and in complete denial, there's not much hope for him.

Kanga's one hope is that she has people in her life who are working very hard to get her the help she needs to recover as much as she can from this. It's as if she has the awareness of a toddler. I just hope the staff where she is are equipped to deal with her issues as aggressively as you need them to. Not sure what other options you have at this point.

(((Hugs)))

JJJ

She called again. Now she wants to get highlights (despite reviewing this morning that she has to be 18 to have that done). She tried to get husband to approve a haircut with highlights based on a magazine photo that she described to him LOL. She then told me that husband said it would probably be okay as long as the salon did highlights -- she didn't know that husband was sitting next to me and could hear her! I was very calm and told her that is not what husband said and I did not appreciate her trying to manipulate. She asked if I was going to be mean to her during our visit. I told her of course not, but if she tried to manipulate she wouldn't get anywhere but that wasn't called being mean ;)