Kansas....is this true???

Lothlorien

I was just curious what the minimum wage is in our state, now. I'm so out of the loop, since I'm not an employer anymore.

Anyway, I found a site that lists all the minimum wages in all states. Most of them are around $7.15 or $7.25 an hour.

Kansas is still $2.65 an hour????? Is this really true??? When I got my first job in the 80's the minimum wage, here was $3.35.

$2.65 an hour, in this day and age is just slave labor wages. Sheesh! Is Kim Jong-il running the government there?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am pretty sure the minimum wage is a FEDERAL law, so that Kansas could NOT have a lower minimum wage. Usually the $2.65 is the about the rate for servers at restaurants and others who get tips.

F

flutterbee

Minimum wage is set by Federal law. States can go above and beyond that, as Ohio has, but they cannot go below the Federal number.

KTMom91

Not sure what the federal minimum wage is, since California runs higher, and San Francisco even higher than that. I've been out of the loop for too many years. I can't believe $2.65, though. I remember getting $4.15 working at Woolworth's one Christmas back in the 70's.

Pam R

According to a poster on the wall at the high school, minimum here is $8.00. DS is working washing dishes at a nearby college and he's making $8.25/hr.

Pam R.

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://employeeissues.com/minimum_wage.htm

This should help - (read above link)

SC does NOT have a minimum wage law. When I started at the little store the boss made mention of starting me OVER the miminum wage (gosh thanks with this I can eat poptarts again).

You can also call the US Department of Labor and Wage it's a toll free 1-866 type call - they're pretty knowledgeable - and you can call the Kansas Labor and Wage board.