Ken Burns - Civil War Series

DDD

I just happened to turn on PBS and they were running some of the old Civil War Series. Does anyone else just love that historical presentation? husband and I watched it eagerly 12 or 15 years ago as it came on each week.

Anyway, evidently they have taken the film that they used and the sound that they used and have updated it for clarity. The tone of the pictures is so much better etc.

Why am I sharing this? I don't know. I just really think that Ken Burns made the Civil War real to us for the first time. It's like non-fiction Gone With The Wind.......and even longer. DDD

SRL

I just happened to turn on PBS and they were running some of the old Civil War Series. Does anyone else just love that historical presentation?

Yes, but now that we have the new and improved digital tv, I can no longer get in PBS.:ashamed:

Josie

I ordered this from NetFlix for homeschooling purposes. We have it but I haven't been looking forward to it.

Now I am hopeful that it won't be so bad!:D

donna723

Is that the one where they show lots of old photographs and read from the old letters? If it's what I'm thinking of, it's fascinating! It makes you aware that these were real people that went through all this, it's not just an account in a dry, dull old history book.

ctmom05

I recently watched Ken's Burns "West" documentary series. It was fabulous. I have the feeling that my experience with that series was much like yours with the "Civil War" . . . very, very good. I plan on watching some of his other treasures.

witzend

I watched that whole thing through twice. And I'll watch bits of it still if it's on. I'm just in awe of the battle of Antietam. John "Stonewall" Jackson is a distant uncle of mine, so I found the information about him fascinating. What a (brilliant) nut! It explains a lot about my family...

DDD

Yes, it is the one with the letters. I bought the set for husband as a Xmas present two years ago and difficult child took a couple of the CD's "to Mom's". Never to be seen again.

Great idea to use for homeschooling. I bet if you give a little preamble lesson, pop some popcorn, and settled down with the kids to watch it...you (and maybe the kids) will be too eager to wait for the next CD.

I didn't know there was a series about the West. Our public library has the Civil War series. Maybe they have the West, too. DDD

donna723

Did he do that series (two parts, I think) "When It Was a Game" that was on HBO? It was all about the old teams and ball parks ... made me cry. I LOVED that!