Kicked out of YMCA camp

L

luvmyottbs

Have an appointment today with psychiatrist. difficult child was suspended for today and possibly for the rest of the summer from YMCA summer camp. Last week she was cursing and written up. Yesterday, she scratched 2 girls noses with a piece of plastic and told them it was a birthmark. Girls mother picks up her children and wanted to know why they have scratches on thier noses. So the story unfolds....

I am really tired, embarassed, disappointed, angry and sad for her. I'm sure the camp counselors really dislike her and wonder what kind of parents difficult child has!:sad-very: She just needs so much structure that it is exhausting. My warrior suit is cracking!

It is just always one thing on top of another. Next week, it will be something else. I don't know the correct way to help this child.

I am going to ask psychiatrist again today for counselling help. She has manipulated the last 2 counselors and she needs someone really sharp to see through her.

Mom needs some one on one counseling again too.

lmf64

That's nothing. My son was also kicked out of YMCA camp. The worst part...I worked for them. I found after many different camp placements that the Salvation Army camp was more structured and the staff was more compassionate. I know it's weird we think the Y would be the best place for our kids, lots of fresh air and all the equipment they could ever dream of using, but around here anyway, the counselors are too young and not at all trained to handle our kids whereas the SA hires adults (and older adults ie grandparents) who seem to be able to read our kids better.

JJJ

Our special recreation camp is our best option. They will hire a 1:1 if necessary to keep a child in camp.

I can sympathize with everything you are feeling. I have been there.

lizanne2

Ah yes, camp sagas........ its not you. Its just what it is. I know my difficult child would feel awful when he would get asked to leave a camp. It was hard fro him to start to learn intellectually what to do but to emotionally not be able to do it.

I did find that activity/sports camps were a better fit. The day was packed with ball skills and drills and less 'free play'. During an art week there was always a project that was the focus. Might work next year.
Also helped to have difficult child be the helper. Rather that wait for the lunch to be ready or snack to come and 'play in the meantime'. difficult child was chosen to go get and count the snack, set up the table, get the equipment ready etc....... This takes an understanding counsellor but something Occupational Therapist (OT) think about.

Sorry for the stress of this all.....Hang in there.

You haven't seen me, but my warrior suit is XXL and probably would fit right over yours for reinforcement. You can borrow whenever you need.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so sorry. I've had those "want-to-crawl-under-a-rock" moments, those "don't-know-whose-kid-that-is" moments, too!

It really is all about structure, and sadly, most day camps don't provide the high degree that our difficult child's need. I gave up on day camps for my difficult child 2 -- so this year we're trying an overnight camp for developmentally disabled kids. They also take "normal" kids, and kids with ADHD, bipolar, etc. So I figure they should be able to handle him.

Maybe there is a program similar to this in your area -- if not for this summer, then next?

I hope the psychiatrist can steer you to more appropriate counseling resources, too. (((Hugs)))

Definitely a drag when the difficult child gets asked to leave. My difficult child got kicked out of camps two years in a row. Different camps. He has worked well enough in some programs so I sign him up for those and figure I'll try others again later when he's a little older. There is no space between stimulation and reaction with him. To think is to do, even though he ends up being very sorry later. You can't even imagine what (or if) they are thinking. I have a little mantra I say when I start to get upset: "He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with." Doesn't always work. Sorry this happened -- hang in there!