Kids are very accepting of their "labels"

JJJ

Tigger was playing basketball with a group of 4 other boys. The discussion turned to how some of them had a lot of trouble with their anger when they were little but are better now.

W: Yep, I am schitzophrenic.
J: Really? I'm bipolar.
Tigger: I'm Autistic
V: I have Aspergers
M: cool

Then back to shooting hoops.

They all just seemed so comfortable with their diagnosis and that they were able to explain "why" they had/have issues.

InsaneCdn

When the label fits well, it helps our kids understand who they are.

I'm not "a person with ADHD"... I am an ADHD person - it's part of the central core of my being. It affects how I think and how I react and how I come across to others. I wish I had known when I was a kid... it would have helped me accept myself back in those really tough years.

T

TeDo

JJJ, that is awesome. difficult child 1 has shared his Asperger's and ADHD only with certain friends, the ones who also have diagnosis that he knows about. When they (or their parents) mention a diagnosis, difficult child 1 is willing to share his.

Giulia

I think that to kids, a "label" is coming natural for them. It is part of their world, not something they feel ashamed about.
It's like someone who has freckles or blue eyes, it's part of their normalcy.
They are willing to share because it's a part of their normalcy.

The shame about a label is more an adult twist question, a worry from parents. It comes less normal to them.

BusynMember

My son is eighteen now and has stated he wishes he wasn't different. But he is basically a cheerful kid with a really good nature and I suspect most people get more depressed more often than he does. We didn't dwell on the label at all and just told him matter-of-fact when he got older (it was no surprise to him that he was different at all). He seems very accepting and tries very hard at everything he does. He is the happiest child I have.

Wiped Out

Staff member
What a great conversation! I remember once when we were driving difficult child and a friend to the batting cages. The other friend started talking about how he has to go to therapy and difficult child chimed in that he does too. Usually though my difficult child does not want to appear different in the least.

keista

I find it ironic. DD1 does not want to talk about her label. Doesn't even know her latest one unless she overheard me talk about it, but has absolutely no problem sharing embarrassing stuff like her bed-wetting.

SmallTownMom

That conversation made me smile :bigsmile:! I hope my difficult child will soon have the confidence to talk about his diagnosis. He will talk about it to his teachers, but not his peers. I don't think he understands it quite yet.