kindergarten?

Jamieh

My oldest will start kindergarten this fall. He could have went this past year but I opted to hold him out another year. Even tho my mother in law protesting I stuck to my guns and done what I felt was right for him. But the closer it gets to actually sending him to school the more nervous I get. I dread it so much. Right now he is in a small christian preschool and his class size is 9 on a full day. I don't know how he will handle being in a class of 18. He kind of goes crazy in a large group. He gets hyper and hard to control. *sigh* How did your kids handle going into a larger class? Did anyone have the same problems with- a larger group of kids? Also, he hates group activities. Like singing together or playing games. He usually just decides not to participate.

BusynMember

My Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son did ok in a large class in kindergarten, but he didn't have behavioral issues by that age and he did have trouble learning in a large class as he got into around fourth grade. He also didn't have any friends. His social skills were poor and the older he got, the more that showed.

I also held my son back and it was all right, but in my opinion holding kids back doesn't really doesn't change their issues. Have you thought about trying to have him evaluated so he can get special services when he is finally in school? If not, he may up wrongly be labeled as "bad." I suggest looking into it. It will be tons different than a classroom of nine kids. Sounds like he may need an aide to help assimilate into group activities. It will be a problem if he refuses to do what the other kids do and your phone will ring. Best to stave it before it happens. JMO and experience.

buddy

I'd go to the Special Education dept of your district and ask for an evaluation now. (Still do the private evaluations) so he is on their radar even before school starts.

Ktllc

As you know, V has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and he is in a mainstream K- class of about 20 kids. The teacher follows a 504 plan with tons of accomodations. Although he learns slower than others (specially in reading and writing), I would say he does fantastic. There are no behavior issues, he is accepted by his classmate (but V will often misinterpret what others think and say and needs help to decode others behavior) and he is happy to go to school. The accomodation he gets are key to his success.
The teacher started talking about testings to qualify him for special services.
My advise: be optimistic but don't ignore his issues. Be up front with the school, polite but firm with what accomodation you feel are essential for his success.
Take also some time to think about success mean for your child. I personally see success for V as being happy to go to school, steady progress (even though it's not at the same pace) and being part of the group. So far, V is having a successful year.
Have him evaluated for services right now but don't get discouraged if he does not qualify yet. That was the case for V and slowly things are falling into place.
School is reactive and not pro-active. Frustrating but that's the way it is.

buddy

K is pretty structured and often compared to preschool kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) tendencies can do well with a good teacher who keeps things on schedule and visual.

In fact that works against many kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) because they can look so much better and it seems they are gettting over their issues etc...THEN when social demands increase and language becomes academically more abstract (starting in third grade) you see issues again. If they had never been identified previously, they often are considered behavioral kids exclusively, not realizing all of the sensory and language processing etc...issues that might be going on.

So, it might be that he would do ok in a K class. You might talk to the principal and he/she will likely know which of the K teachers are better equipped for a child with social and sensory needs.

Ktllc

[QUOTEIn fact that works against many kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) because they can look so much better and it seems they are gettting over their issues etc...THEN when social demands increase and language becomes academically more abstract (starting in third grade) you see issues again.][/QUOTE]
You just pointed at my number one fear/worry!
I'm so glad V is doing as good as he is right, but wonder when the other shoe is going to drop!
But as parents of special kids, /i think we can't allow ourselves to indulge in these fears. We need to build and plan on the positive all the while being vigilant.

buddy

Of course don't fear, sorry.. more thinking in terms of not having any radar on...keeping services and not letting things get out of hand if that happens. Your kids are identified as having issues already. I've met parents who were lead to believe that their kid no longer had challenges so they were blindsided.

Angela41

This is just my opinion, but I believe that the quality of the teacher is more critical than the size of the class. My six year old son also becomes overstimulated in larger groups of children, but fared much better in a larger preschool class with more flexible teachers.
With 18 kids, there will likely be a teacher's aide. This is very helpful- one adult "teaches" and the other ensures that the kids keeping on task.
Lastly, I agree with the other posts, that you need to talk with the school in advance about your son and his challenges in larger groups. I'm sure K teachers have at least one or two special needs kids each year, and a conversation will help prepare them for some of the (possible) challenges.