Kindle ad

H

HaoZi

Does anyone else hate the Kindle ad where she says "I actually paid more for these sunglasses." To me, that doesn't make a Kindle user look smart or like they spend their money wisely. And they're ugly sunglasses. Maybe it's just me, but I guarantee that a pair of $100+ sunglasses wouldn't last me any longer than my $10 pair.

muttmeister

Yeah, I have a Kindle and I love it but I buy my sunglasses at Dollar General unless I'm feeling rich and then I get them at WalMart. LOL

Josie

I made the switch to expensive sunglasses so I would do a better job of keeping up with them! I was always losing my Target ones, but once I bought an expensive pair, it is like they are attached to me. I think I have saved money over the years.

And I have a Kindle. I guess I could make the commercial. LOL

Lothlorien

I buy my sunglasses at the flea market for $5.00. They are knock offs. I doubt I'd pay more than $10. for sunglasses. I leave stuff everywhere.

DammitJanet

I have never understood the commercial myself. I cant understand why anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for sunglasses unless they were prescription. Even then I think I would get those little snap down things unless I was getting a two for one deal.

I also dont see how Kindle is better on the glare but then I havent used a Kindle. My ereader isnt bad on glare though but I havent tried it sitting on the beach...lol.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Ladies--

I think you are missing the point...

WE would not pay that much money for sunglasses because we are highly intelligent, and money-savvy people...we do a lot of research before we buy. We read a lot. We don't put much stock in designer labels. We are exactly the people who have probably already looked into Kindle.

Designer sunglasses is BIG business. Folks spend hundreds of dollars for certain frames...and they want to be seen in their fancy glasses. These are fashion-focused people. Have they looked into Kindle? Maybe not....

So the current Kindle commercial puts the Kindle in a more fashion-focused context. Woman in designer frames poses by the pool with the gadget the other loungers just HAVE to have.
The message? You too, could look this cool - and it won't even cost as much as your sunglasses...

H

HaoZi

The glare thing is because Kindle is not backlit like the other readers are. The others are like computer or cell phone screens. With the Kindle you actually need light to read it, and that (in theory, haven't tested it) makes it easier on the eyes and reduces glares from outside sources.

One question DF - why are "fashion frames" so dog ugly?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Love my Kindle; hate their ads. My sunglasses used to cost because they were RX. These days I just wear flip downs that clip on over my regular eyeglasses. Probably look goofy but they do the job.

husband was into competetive riflery and pistol shooting and used to wear Ray-Ban tinted lenses with anti-glare coating and all sorts of other stuff. I nearly died when I saw what those cost us. He tried 'Blades' (the "cool" sunglasses at that time), but wound up selling them to someone else.

H

HaoZi

All the marksmen I know just use amber/yellow or dark grey tinted lenses for shooting. Best thing for low-light with minimal glare, and not too expensive either. Same stuff they sell for night driving, and that's how it got started for those night driving lenses was that marksmen used those colors.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
HaoZi, that's all these were: tinted amber lenses with an anti-glare coating, BUT, this was years and years ago and they were glass, not plastic or polycarbonate. I think they cost around 80 dollars a pop. Luckily he didn't lose them and actually wore standard shades off the range.

H

HaoZi

Ah, Dad had the shatterproof ones to use when we went out to the range. Was late 80s early 90s. Geeze, that seems so long ago now!

susiestar

Roll With It
I have given up trying to understand why they think a commercial would make you want to buy the product. That Axe commercial with the ball washer phone bank makes me irritated, so does their hair gel commercial where the guy dives into the ocean and catches a bunch of fish on his hair. Guys I know would WANT to try to catch fish on their hair (but noodling is a sport in OK too - that is catching fish with your bare hands by getting them to bite you, far as I can figure out) and moms I know don't watn a bimbo like that anywhere NEAR their sons. I wouldn't want to take my expensive kindle to the beach or pool - unless it is okay for it to get all wet which I don't think it is. I would rather take a book because books are lots cheaper and if it gets ruined or stolen it is okay. How do you go into the water if you have a $200 electronic gadget sitting unattended on your beach towel or lounger?

I won't get into sunglasses. I buy my regular glasses online. For sunglasses I buy those old fogey over the glasses sunglasses because tehy cut a LOT more light out. Reg sunglasses still let most of the light in around the edges and sides, and the smaller the lenses the more light they let in. The over the glasses kind cut out the light and UV rays on the sides and edges which means I get a LOT fewer migraines, eye strains and other problems. My eye doctor wishes everyone wore the kind I wear because the UV rays do a LOT of damage even if you wear traditional sunglasses or clip ons. FWIW, the online places will include clip on sunglasses for $3-$5 per pair and they are designed to fit onto the frames you buy. They also sell frames that come with sunglasses that attach to the frames magnetically. They are still WAY cheaper than frames from most stores.

H

HaoZi

I recall seeing some idjits do the noodling thing with their tongues. Icky.
I have to get the sunglasses that cut the light on the side and are marked as having UV blockers, too. I do (somewhere) have a pair that's yellow I wear at night or when it's foggy. I only wear glasses at night, wear contacts during the day.

DammitJanet

I think I am becoming night blind. I swear I can hardly see at all at night...especially if it is at all rainy. I have been threatening Tony that I am going to just stop driving if he doesnt change my headlights to those newer bright halogen headlights. The older dim yellow lights just arent cutting it for me.

KTMom91

Well...I love my Sony e-reader, and my sunglasses are rx...and I don't understand why expensive sunglasses are better than regular ones.

With that said, for Useless Boy's BD one year (Miss KT had just turned 1), he had to have a pair of Oakleys. I don't know why. Anyway, he got these outrageously expensive glasses, and about a week later, I hear Miss KT's hysterical laughter coming from the living room. I look in, and she has snapped UB's brand new Oakleys in half, and is gleefully swinging them around by the earpieces, saying, "Daddy glasses! Daddy glasses! "

DammitJanet

My ereader is the pandigital and it is cool. It connects to the internet so I can do wifi and surf the net if I am anywhere with a wifi spot. Doesnt do flash so I cant do youtube but I can come here! Its also color which is cool.

Marg's Man

I can't comment on the Kindle or any eReader because we don't have one but I CAN comment on sunglasses.

Fashion is a MONSTER industry that dictates everything about life to far too many people in my opinion. Sunglasses are, first and foremost, protective wear. They protect your eyes against excessive glare which can cause many problems; the least of which is a vicious headache.

Downunder we're very aware of UV exposure because we have had to cope with the hole in the ozone layer for more than 20 years now. Dark glasses cause the pupil of the eye to open a little wider [normal dark response of the eye]. If your sunglasses are not UV rated AS WELL you are actually risking retinal damage (effectively sunburn of your retina). Fortunately UV rated sunglasses are not much more costly to make than normal sunglasses and should not be much more expensive.

There is an Australian Standard for sunglasses which must be met for sunglasses to be legally sold here. It hasn't happened for a while but there were often scandals about glasses being sold that don't meet the standard. Strangely the worst offenders were the ultra cheap (2 pairs for $5) and the very expensive designer glasses.

Whatever sunglasses you get, make sure they are UV rated. This applies to fit overs types and clip-ons as well. If they meet the Australian Standard, they will be the best you can get.

Marg's Man