Klmno, have you gotten the new apartment? Kept your job?

LittleDudesMom

k,
do you have a credit card now? If so, you would be better served charging something on that every month and paying it off than applying for credit at a furniture store. It's another "ping" on your credit report when a merchant checks your credit in order to open a new account. If you don't have one, you may be better off getting a "major" cc through your bank with a low spending limit, like 500. Then charge a little every month and pay if off monthly - after 6 months, call and have then raise the limit to 1K -- those kinds of things "read" well on a credit report.

Hope you can get moved this weekend! Did your new ll prorate your rent? Getting that fireplace just in time!!!

Sharon

klmno

Nope- I don't have a CC right now but I guess it would be a good time to get one. Thanks for the reminder!

The landlord said he'd prorate the rent for this month. I'm going to call communications & utility cos this morning and see how quick I can get things turned on and put in my name, then confirm move in date so LL can finalize lease. Also, I'm going to get with him later today to pay deposit.Given that I'm out of this place on the 15th and that's a Sat., I wonder if I'll have to pay for utilities here until the following Monday.

DammitJanet

Im so excited! Almost like Im moving myself...lol. Can I help decorate vicariously? lmao. I watch all these HGTV shows all the time since I dont get out much. Things like doing designs on 25 bucks or stuff like that.

TerryJ2

Yes, you do need decorating help! We can all chime in. :)
Congratulations!
Looks like you will definitely not be coming to Myrtle Beach, though. :(

klmno

It's unlikely that I'll make it to MB, but I haven't given up all hope yet- I'm going to see if my next trip for work can be around there for either the week before or the week after the 22nd.

DJ- I've seen a few shows like that, too and always end up inspired to be creative and do something with little money invested. I'm really happy to finally feel mentally and financially prepared to buy some furniture. Do you know what it's like to spend 18 mos sitting on a lawn chair the majority of time you're at home? You don't want to know!

I signed the lease after work- minus the addendum with the clause about 48 hours notice to enter premises unless it's an emergency and allowing my two dogs. He agreed to it and the lease I signed referred to the addendum- but he said he didn't have time to write it yet but promised me he would within the next couple of days. I trust him, so I signed. I had to get the elase in hand to get water in my name and get the key to let the gas company in. I know- why take the chance- but I know his profession and he's clearly professional, unlike my current landlord. Plus, he might be helpful in networking for me to get a job more in line with my true profession.

So, Ladies- send me all your virtual decorating ideas! I have a Chef Bubba collection that I kept but there's no wall space in the kitchen to put anything- and like the color burgundy. difficult child says his favorite colors these days are blue and gray. The carpet is beige, walls are white, tile in kitchen and bath is tan/white/beige, tile in small foyer area is black with a marble pattern.

InsaneCdn

Hooray for neutral colors!
These mean you can do almost ANYTHING with color.
Is your blood pressure rising yet? (in a good way, of course)

klmno

OMG- from Sunday thru this afternoon is was over the top with wondering how this was going to go, if I'm making the right decision, etc.

The landlord offered to add a clause in the lease saying he would view my job like military so if I get transferred, etc, it will let me out of the lease as long as I give 30 days notice. That would be good- if I'd known that I would have signed a 2 year lease. LOL! Oh well, life is unpredictable with difficult child anyway, and will be until he's over 18 and out of HS.

Question: does stuff put on law a way count toward credit rating?

H

HaoZi

The good thing about burgundy is that Wal-Mart almost always has something on clearance in that color (or very close), at least around here. I use sheets as couch covers to change up the living room now and then. If you're allowed to paint but aren't sure about going all out with color, try painting just the door frames to add color and character.

And no, layaway doesn't count towards credit ratings. A store or gas station credit card does, though.