Know what's really freaky?

F

flutterbee

Your dog staring at the window and barking and growling ferociously.

And I really don't think Buster is gonna scare anyone off. :ashamed:

K

Kjs

My dogs do that. I can say "who's out there" and they run to the window and growl and bark and nobody's there. the little dog watches to see what the other will do. LOL even outside. If someone walks by, Kenzie will watch to see if Chloe goes to the fence or barks. then she joins in. I wonder what she would be like without chloe. And Kenzie is a jumper. If anyone knows how to strap their feet to the ground with cement blocks or something let me know.

Andy

Our little Bella does that also. I think she sees shadows in the windows sometimes but usually it is at nothing - maybe the sound of the wind through a tree? It really is freaky at times - she sounds like a HUGE dog when she barks. - O.K. if someone breaks in, bark but don't let them see you or they will not leave. LOL!

One day I went out and saw someone walking past our house. Bella was just sitting there watching the person but when she saw me she started barking at the person.

Kjs - if Kenzie jumps on people, instruct everyone to put their knee up into her. Someone also told me to also step on their back toes, they hate that. For other jumping issues, I don't know.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pootie just discovered "the OTHER dog" in the front door reflection.....

OMG I sat on the couch and encouraged it (I am bad)

GET THAT PUPPY......GET HER......GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

When she found the full lenght mirror in the bedroom she looked, bolted and then "made nice" with the puppy in the mirror.

donna723

I personally think that's something dogs do just as their own little joke ... to freak out their owners!

When I had my first Boston, Rudy, we also had two bigger dogs that were three times her size but nowhere near as smart as she was. She claimed the recliner as 'hers' and didn't like it if one of the big ones had her chair. If one of them was in 'her' recliner, she was slick enough to run to the front door and bark like mad (looking over her shoulder to make sure they saw her!). The big ones would be up like a shot and run to the door barking hysterically. And when they did, she'd just casually stroll back and hop up in her recliner, where she wanted to be all along. She did it all the time - too often for it to have just been a coincidence! They are much smarter than we give them credit for!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child's puppy catches a shadow or reflection in the fireplace glass and goes ballistic; it's annoying.

But our dog Sophie will perch herself atop the couch cushions and bark maniacally out the front window at absolutely nothing and everything. The worst is in the dead of night when she lets out an alarming yodel. Oh My God - wakes you up from a deep sleep like nobody's business. I always shake H awake and make him go out and look see. It's so creepy.

I have learned, however, not to be too alarmed unless our older dog, Nala, starts in barking. She's the best watchdog ever so when she starts in I run around and turn on all the lights, inside and out. I trust her the most. She is very protective.

I am not looking forward to when our home has two levels [for real] and our bedroom is upstairs in the far corner. If a dog starts to howl, I will really freak out.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Star!

I also think it's something dog's do to drive their owners crazy.

But also, all their senses are so much more acute than ours. So they can actually be barking and growling at something they know is there that we just can't see.

Of course then there is my dogs. Betsy and Molly are nortorious for barking at what appears to be nothing at all for at least 15 mins. Then suddenly Rowdy will be at my front door, all done with his roaming and wanting back into the yard or kennel. My girls are great tattlers. lol So now Rowdy has taken it up. If Betsy gets loose (usually human error) he goes ballistic.

Molly is awesome at it. She's a herder by nature. She's so darn good at it that I've caught Rowdy in the process of escaping the yard several times. And there is no way she can even see the back yard where he escapes from windows in the house. Yet she always knows. Even back when she was just a puppy. lol Her biggest problem was getting us to understand her barks always mean something. She never barks without reason.

Betsy, on the other hand I've caught barking at snow flakes. :rofl:

muttmeister

Mine bark at everything: people, dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, cars driving down the street, the windsock on the porch, each other, and, I think, just general barking because they want me to come and see what they're barking at (nothing). My dogs are pretty big and they sound ferocious but I'm sure if somebody were actually there, they'd only get kissed to death.
In spite of their loud barking, I had the electrician come one day when I wasn't home and I told him if the dogs bothered him to lock them in the bath room. I talked to him later and asked him if he'd had any trouble with the dogs. His answer was, "What dogs?" Apparently they only bark when I'm home. The rest of the time they go upstairs and cower under the bed till I come home. So much for keeping me safe. LOL

donna723

MM, they probably think they're protecting you!

My mixed breed, Freebie, does the same thing. She stays outside while I'm at work. She's on the big covered front porch on a tie-out long enough that she can go out in to the yard, but she can't get as far as the street. She barks like mad at people or a car that stops or other animals and I just assumed that she did it all the time. The guy that cuts my grass has one of those huge commercial mowers and she barks at him every time he gets close to the house. Then he told me that she only barks at him when I'm here, if he comes on the weekend! He said that if he comes to mow while I'm at work, she doesn't bark at all! She just sits there watching him, looking almost bored!