L-Tryptophan for Anxiety and Insomnia

N

Nomad

I have stumbled across a totally natural insomnia cure for myself and my husband. (Of course everyone is different and everyone needs to take their medical concerns into consideration, do their own research, etc.)

I wanted to mention it because I know stress tends to cause insomnia and many of us are under stress.

I am very sensitive to Melatonin. Even a 1 mg. tablet makes me a little sleepy in the morning. This caused me to start to experiment.

As you may know L-Trptophan was taken off the market several years ago, due to bad batch that caused serious health problems. They have been given the "all clear" and are back on the market...although there still is a small amount of controversy. I only will buy the "pharmaceutical grade."

What I ended up with:
1/4 tablet of Melatonin (.25) and
250 mgs. L-Tryptophan (pharmaceutical grade only)

Both of these are really small dosages, but combined they work unbelievably well for me and do not leave me feeling groggy in the morning. I also take a cal/mag tablet at night that might help a little with- sleep.

IN addition, some nights I take a bath with AHAVA dead sea bath salts. There are similar products, a little cheaper, available on-line.
I also like to use a relaxation tape at times.

These things combined have me sleeping like a baby and I wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go.

Does anyone else use L-Trytophan? Any natural things for insomnia?

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks Nomad~ husband and I are reading a book on fighting depression and anxiety naturally. (Orthomolecular Medicine) They have a long discussion on L-Tryptophan the author has a page which he states:
Symptoms indicating Tryptophan is needed to increase Serotonin levels
*Sleeplessness
*Anxiety
*Irritability
*Nervous Depression
In the other book I am reading: "Treating & Beating Anxiety and Depression with orthomolecular medicine" by Roger Murphree

He has a chapter on sleeplessness. He is big on 5HTP (the common over the counter form of Tryptophan) He feels it restores our Serotonin levels. He likes it with Melotonin when needed. He goes into how and when you take it, how much.

This book is really good! I am trying to get off of Ambien and he goes into how to add natural medications to help.
He is also big on realizing that Prescription medications may be necessary for some especially Mental Illness as well as pushing home the point that working with your Doctor is very important.
I was taking Trazodone and now Ambien, so I am adding melotonin and cutting my Ambien, this past week has been pretty good. I am thinking of picking up some Tryptophan.
I am glad it is working for you!

N

Nomad

I am very interested in Orthomoleculor Medicine.
What is the first book you are reading?
I would really like to find a physician that keeps medications to a minimum by combining them with natural products. I know I need certain medications, but the side effects can be difficult. I can take less when I optimize my health with natural products.

I almost have this type of physician working with me right now, although he is in the learning-phase with many of the natural products. I feel fortunate that he is willing to do much of the investigative work. He gets a lot of flack from the community.

Please be careful. I do a lot of reading and asking. I experiment taking small dosages and using very good quality products. Trial and error/conservative, etc. I have found many good things using this formula.

Wishing you well!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Nomad~ I picked up these books after reading about Orthomolecular medications from, Margot Kidder! She has BiPolar (BP). She swears by this and one of the Authors that I read "Kate Mclaughlin" she lives here in Tucson and her kids are pretty severely Mentally Ill, she swear by Orthomolacular Medicine as well, with medications combined. I have not changed anything up without my Docs approval. I am looking for a new doctor since moving here. So I am kind of in limbo. But I am wanting to stop the Ambien. My doctor in Idaho was into me trying it, I would just like a doctor to call just in case!

The books are:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Treating-Beating-Anxiety-Depression-Orthomolecular/dp/0972893814/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219294160&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Treating And Beating Anxiety And Depression: With Orthomolecular Medicine: A Guide For Patients: Rodger H. Murphree: Books[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Medicine-Bipolar-Disorder-Healthy/dp/1571742913/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219294227&sr=1-16"]Amazon.com: The Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder (The Healthy Mind Guides): Stephanie Marohn: Books[/ame]
This is the first one I mentioned-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Depression-Free-Naturally-Eliminating-Anxiety-Despair/dp/0345435176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219294295&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Depression-Free, Naturally: 7 Weeks to Eliminating Anxiety, Despair, Fatigue, and Anger from Your Life: Joan Mathews Larson: Books[/ame]

Amazon has a great list also. Good luck to you as well! Sleep is a great thing

N

Nomad

Thank you very much!
Actually, it is rare that I have a problem with sleep, but when I am under stress, I don't sleep well and it just makes the next day difficult. I realized the validity and potential of supplements helping folks when my depression left the scene after my doctor told me to start taking the B vitamins. This combined with exercise has been profoundly helpful. In addition, he has given me some good ideas for supplements to help prevent headaches. The difference in my life and lifestyle has been profound. BiPolar (BP) illness is more tricky...but I do believe with a good patient/doctor relationship it can be done. Wishing you well.

Last edited: