LaLaLa.. I'm not listening!!!

ready2run

lol...i wish i had the answer to that one! i have one who starts talking to me from a different room at 5 am and keeps talking until i drop him off at 9. and heaven forbid me or anyone else try to say anything during that time, what an insult to him that would be!!

DDD

been there done that.....omg, it gets SO irritating! I never found the answer. One thing I did discover, however, was that if my attitude showed that it was getting to me...it became worse. Hugs. DDD

TerryJ2

lol! Sorry, I know you're going nuts, but the way you wrote it was pretty funny.
I have a friend whose son did that. He's an adult now, and he has slowed down a tiny bit ... but she would tell him she didn't really need to hear the entire plot and dialogue of every show he watched and she'd say, "Just get to the point." Sometimes she would walk away and shut the door. He learned that if he wanted her to listen, he needed to get to the point.
Wish I had some good advice.

H

HaoZi

Outside of sedation for one of you (your choice), you don't. Getting mine an iPod nabbed me some degree of quiet time.

buddy

LOL, just had to click on this thread! Mine is either on or off, rarely just in the middle. Both things are frustrating. I love the times when he is talking/demanding/asking/being loud and I explain that what he wants will not happen when he continues to talk about it. (I have already given the answer and he has repeated it so I know he knows, but he anxiety keeps him going) so he says ok I will stop.

OK, I am stopped, can you hear I have stopped mommy?
MOM, am I doing better now that I stopped? MOM, MOM, MOM, I am doing it mom. So, let me get this straight, if I stop, I will be able to do X, right? Right mom?
Q you are still talking about it.

Ok mom I will stop.... and on and on we go.

Methuselah

When Slugger wound chatter nonstop, I would completely zone out! I didn't do it on purpose; it would just happen. He would ask me "Mom, are you listening?". I would say yes. He would doubt me...and administer a pop quiz: when I said Connor and I walked to the water fountain, what happened? I was caught every time!

As he has grown older, the chattering has lessened significantly. And you want to know what? I miss it!

Barbara

He's 16 and it's not even beginning to slow down... and his voice is BOOMING through my head constantly!!! where's the advil?

Steely

Mine is 21 and here for Thanksgiving - AND IT DOESN'T STOP -
Plus his 2 dogs and mine - running around. I want to hide.
And then the relatives tomorrow - eeehhhh - there is a big dog house outside that maybe I could sneak away into for a nap????

trinityroyal

Duct tape over the mouth?

(Kidding, I swear...though I have been tempted)

Actually, a couple of things that have worked for me and my loquacious difficult child:

1) Industrial strength ear plugs. They're bright orange, so he can see them sticking out of my ears. When I've had enough and I've given 3 reminders that I don't want to hear him talk his every thought, I put them in and go about my business.

2) Singing and dancing, as only an Embarrassing Mom can manage. I take whatever he's saying to me, set it to music and start singing it back to him and dancing along (usually Travolta-style disco). He either starts laughing (which is at least a nice change from the talking), or he gets frustrated and wanders away.

Other than that, I don't have an answer. But I do feel your pain.

buddy

I actually asked the neurologist yesterday if she would prescribe duct tape for school hours to keep the administration happy, she had a student nurse, lol.... I did tell them I was kidding. Just in case student nurse was a little to into the whole mandated reporter thing, smile.

InsaneCdn

Trinity! You stole a page from MY book!

I don't do the dancing... but the singing alone is enough to get SOME form of reaction!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I will occasionally cover my ears dramatically. Sometimes it helps - a bit.

Jett can play by himself for HOURS without making a sound. Someone anywhere in his vicinity, though, and he talks. And talks. And talks. "You know what I think is funny?" (No. And no, I don't want to stop chopping up chunks of bloody beef, or cooking, or washing dishes... to come see what's on TV, or what you're doing with your balloon yo-yo, or how you're holding the cat.)

husband & I have jokingly discussed ball gags....

DammitJanet

Jamie was/is our non stop talker and he married a non stop talker...good grief! When he went to boot camp our house became almost ghost like...lol. We wondered how he was going to manage in boot because they cant move or talk without permission and we knew he was going to have problems. Imagine a severely ADHD kid in Marine boot camp...lol.

Well imagine our shock when we watched our kid..this tall skinny kid standing stock still for several hours out on the hot parade field and he NEVER moved an inch. I couldnt believe it! Later he told us he had learned this trick of wiggling his toes in his boots to keep something moving at all times but no one could see it...lmao.

However, on the drive home, that boy talked non-stop as if he couldnt get words out fast enough. I finally turned around and shoved a box of Little Debbie snack cakes into his hands and told him to eat the entire box because he was making my ears bleed. LOL.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I could so have posted this thread today (well actually most days but today was particularly bad). He couldn't be quiet and wasn't even taking breaths (was getting winded as he was talking).

Wish I had the answer; my life would be so much more peaceful!

Barbara

Today is actually a quiet and peaceful day.... well ok he's at his dad's, just read through all the replies and wanted to say.. Thank you for the laughs and smiles.