Last nights weird wedding....

Mom2oddson

brother in law (T) and sister in law (A) got married late last night. The wedding was supposed to start at 7:30. The bride wasn't ready until almost 8:00. The Minister is A's grandma. I think her grandma was/is a difficult child. She wasn't happy that the bride wasn't on time and made it known to everyone.....including during the middle of the vows saying that she was too tired to read the book, threw the book across the room and said she'll just wing the vows. Then grandma starts talking about her other Granddaughter and her wedding and comparing the two couples...and not in a nice way. Then, later, she needed to get the book to read the final part. It was the weirdest thing I've even seen.

Other than that, it was a nice wedding. But because it was 2 hours away from my house, I'm running on 3 hours of sleep today. Not a great way to start a Monday morning.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They're only married if she files it... And has the authority to do so... And she might not, given what you've said!!!

SRL

Tee hee, a difficult child minister grandma. Don't think we've had one of those reported on here yet!

Can't wait til the movie comes out...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh wow, some happy fond memories there. lol

I'm a little concerned about if it's going to be legal or not too. I suppose she could be a JOP or something, but doesn't sound like she's done weddings much. sheesh

Mom2oddson

I know that A has the marriage license to mail/file. And grandma is a licensed minister of the church. She's just a difficult child minister....

The dysfunction in A's family will blend in well with the dysfunction in husband's family.

Oh....and I'm being devious:devil: I know what I have planned for the reception on the 26th. It's not much. It's the day after Christmas, I'm tired and I'm broke. I'm just making a meat/cheese tray with some rolls, chips and salsa, and maybe some left-over christmas cookies. I have tons of paper plates, napkins and disposable silverware... the place provides coffee, tea and water. And except for watching all the kids that night so the new couple can have a night alone, I'm not doing anything more. Now for the devious part.... I send a text to my "look at me, look at ME!" sister in law and asked if she'd like to help with the reception. She's "Thrilled" and "Oh so glad you asked" and blah, blah, blah.... figured why not use her look at me issues and get some help with this thing. She can do whatever else she wants and can take all the credit too if she wants. I'm about burned out from Christmas and this wedding.

Lothlorien

Wow....that is weird. I'm sure you weren't the only one who was rather uncomfortable with difficult child-minister's behavior

Steely

That's downright horrible....I would have been horrified as the bride. Bizarro. Talk about bad juju to start your life of marital bliss off with. Bleck.

susiestar

Roll With It
ANYONE can become legally able to perform marriages online. Some off the wall church that has been around forever helps you for a small fee. It is all very legal as long as you file the papers to become a minister and the marriage certificate.

I am sorry the gma was so horrible to the couple. Yes, the bride was late and in my opinion that is very very inconsiderate, but it does NOT give anyone the right to throw things and make ugly comparisons between the bride and her siblings as part of the ceremony.

It sounds sort of funny when you imagine it in your mind, rather like a sketch from some really BAD sitcom. In reality it is the stuff that family rifts are created from - there is little that would get me to be nice to my gma after something like that. I am rather surprised that the Gma's awfulness didn't provoke someone to punch her or slap her across the face. Violence is not a good thing, but t his is rather extreme provocation, in my opinion.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I thought judges were the only ones technically that could throw the book at you.......

But.....now this. And for 30 minutes? Well I don't think I would have paid that crabby minister. Granny or not.

Who walked over and got the book? ROFLM bible off.

cubsgirl

Unbelievable. I cannot imagine having that going on for my wedding. I hope the bride and groom (and family and friends) can recover quickly from this.