Last of big spending....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
After the remodeling project, all the plantings I've done, I've decided that my last big purchase before my mind gets back to "sane" is an accoustic piano.

I have an appointment on Monday to see it. My niece, piano instructor & I are going out to check it out. Piano instructor feels I'll have an easier time with dynamics of music with an accoustic piano versus the digital piano I'm using now. Doesn't have the same feel.

I'm also signing up for painting (watercolor) & drawing classes starting the end of Sept. I need something, anything to get me out of the house, especially with the most difficult time of the year coming up.

witzend

The posting is gone. I hope that means that you got it for yourself? I'm glad that you are doing things for yourself. :)

Abbey

Spork Queen
There is nothing like a real piano. I have several Korgs around here and they sound nice...but I like the feel of a real one. I hope you got it.

Abbey

DammitJanet

I want a real piano so badly. I played from the time I was 5 until I was 18 but my parents sold my piano when they got divorced. I guess it was for the best because I probably couldnt have dragged the thing around with me all these years but I was sure ticked off when they didnt even ask me! I still think my mom could have taken it with her and then I could have got it back when I was in a position to have it with me. It was just a nice upright.

Congrats on getting yours Linda. You will love it! If I ever get anymore money...win the lottery or something, I am buying a piano. Hmmm...that is what I should do if my dad leaves me something in his will...lol.

skeeter

I have drug my piano around with me my whole life. My parents bought it used when I was 5 because they didn't know if I would stick with it. Back then, finding a teacher was really hard - I had to "prove" I could read well enough. I still remember when we picked it up (dad borrowed a truck from work) - the family was having a grand delivered because their son had been accepted at the conservatory. The house was an old farm house and to get the grand in, they had taken the front window out of the house!

My piano is a Wurlitzer "apartment" spinet. It only has 73 keys, instead of 88. It does have it's limitations on some classical songs, but it usually is just fine. Wurlitzer only made this model for about 2 or 3 years around 1955. Every time I get a mover (I've only used a piano mover to do so) they say if I ever want to sell it, let them know, people are always looking for these.

My parents paid $250 for it! Not bad for me having 46 years of usage out of it!!!!

by the way - I can't stand keyboards. I've yet to find one that the keys aren't "mushy". Not having to pay a tuner is great, but I just don't like playing one.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have several very nice keyboards, but there is nothing like playing on the real thing. Keyboards provide a lot of options, but sometimes it's just nice playing on the real thing.

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't play (aside from a bad version of chopsticks and the little ditty the girl played in the movie The Bad Seed) but that sounds wonderful! There are so many technological "updates" these days but sometimes you just can't beat the real thing. Enjoy!!!

Ahem...and when can I expect my CD of you performing??? :tongue:

DDD

I have a 100 year old upright piano. Uprights have such a wonderful old time family appearance and, often, sound. This piano from my childhood brings lovely memories to me but even though I had a piano tuner come from a neighboring county to tune it...it sounds LOUD in this house with no carpet to soften the sound.

You know :redface: how "old people" start spending time figuring out where they want "their things" to go??? Well I don't have one child or grandchild whom I believe will appreciate the upright. Chances are I'll be around another ten or twenty years ;) but at least once a year I wonder "who would love my piano?"

Maybe a Boys and Girls Club? A group home? I don't know but I know it is important to me that my piano be enjoyed and cared for. I hope you love your new purchase. DDD

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I will know tomorrow if I get the piano or not - have an appointment to come out & look at it at 1 pm.

Maybe he sold it & will let me know; maybe not. If it's sold it wasn't meant to be.

Thank you ladies.